    The cost of & availability of ink cartridges.
    Thank-you in advance.
    ron
    Ronald Murray, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Ronald Murray

    Rob-J Guest

    Both are very good brands. I personally like the canon over the HP. The
    photo quality is outstanding. Make sure you get a printer with separate inks
    for each color. As long as you print on photo base paper the prints will
    look very good on either brand.
    Rob-J, Apr 12, 2004

  3. "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I've been looking for a good quality photo printer. It looks like it comes
    > down to either HP or Canon.
    > Does anyone have any positive OR negative comments on either manufacturer?
    > There are so many models.
    > Which model do you recommend?
    > Quality & speed in both color & black & white printing.
    > The cost of & availability of ink cartridges.
    > Thank-you in advance.
    > ron

    Epson has the best quality photo printers available, IMHO.
    The Ancient One, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Ronald Murray

    Night_Seer Guest

    The Ancient One wrote:
    > "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I've been looking for a good quality photo printer. It looks like it
    >> comes down to either HP or Canon.
    >> Does anyone have any positive OR negative comments on either
    >> manufacturer? There are so many models.
    >> Which model do you recommend?
    >> Quality & speed in both color & black & white printing.
    >> The cost of & availability of ink cartridges.
    >> Thank-you in advance.
    >> ron

    > Epson has the best quality photo printers available, IMHO.

    I second that...I own an Epson Stylus Photo R300 and my 8x10s are
    indistinguishable from film (IMO of course) on proper paper.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Ronald Murray

    Thor Guest

    "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message

    > "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > > I've been looking for a good quality photo printer. It looks like it

    comes
    > > down to either HP or Canon.
    > > Does anyone have any positive OR negative comments on either

    manufacturer?
    > > There are so many models.
    > > Which model do you recommend?
    > > Quality & speed in both color & black & white printing.
    > > The cost of & availability of ink cartridges.
    > > Thank-you in advance.
    > > ron

    > Epson has the best quality photo printers available, IMHO.

    Yes, but there achilles-heel has always been, and continues to be their use
    of a fixed print head system. Unless you use them fairly regularly, they can
    clog up so severely that tossing them in the garbage seems to be the only
    practical thing to do. I just had to do that to my father's Epson 600. He
    was on vacation in Florida for about a month, and when he returned he found
    that his printer was clogged (he uses nothing but Epson brand ink). After
    about 20 consecutive cleaning cycles failed to make a significant diffrence
    in the output, I decided it was time to lay the thing to rest. I surmise
    that the long period of non-use, coupled with the low humidity of the winter
    season air caused the ink to dry in the heads, and create severe clogs. Now,
    if this had been nearly any other brand, a simple cartidge change would have
    taken care of the problem. I've seen this with Epson printers so much now
    that I absolutely recommend against buying them unless print usage is pretty
    regular and frequent. Also, in the past their designs have resulted in so
    much wasted ink it is amazing. I took an Stylus Color 740 apart one day, and
    it had a huge felt sponge lining the bottom, and it was meant to absorb all
    the ink that a cleaning cycle squirts out. Seeing as many Epsons do a
    cleaning cycle automatically at power up every so often, that gets to be a
    lot of ink after awhile. I doubt most people realize how much ink their
    epson printers waste by blowing it down into that big sponge. Lastly, I
    think in the past, Epson held a big advantage in print quality in the past,
    but I think in the last couple of years, the other brands have improved
    their photo print quality to the point that it is very much on par with
    Epson. I use an HP Photosmart 1215, and it's full 8x10 photo prints look to
    me, every bit as good those made on any Epson Photo model in the same price
    range that I have seen.
    Thor, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Ronald Murray

    Drifter Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:47:55 -0300, "Ronald Murray"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >I've been looking for a good quality photo printer. It looks like it comes
    >down to either HP or Canon.
    >Does anyone have any positive OR negative comments on either manufacturer?
    >There are so many models.
    >Which model do you recommend?
    >Quality & speed in both color & black & white printing.
    >The cost of & availability of ink cartridges.
    >Thank-you in advance.

    Had an Epson C80 that I finally worked to death. Was considering the
    following printers...

    Canon i960
    Epson R800
    HP 7960

    All three of these printers produced astonishing photo prints (on best
    photo paper of course) but I finally bought the HP 7960.

    Now keep in mind that I've been a die-hard Epson fan for years so it
    took some really impressive printing to wrench me over into HP land
    but the final deciding factor for me was the extra grey inks that the
    7960 has (I do a good amount of B&W prints). This may or may not be a
    factor for you.

    I do wish HP would get with the program regarding individual ink
    tanks but my experience with the C80 was that my colors usually ran
    out within a few prints of each other so I haven't been that concerned
    with it.

    Take the notes below with a grain of salt as I've only had the printer
    for a week (though I've made about 30 prints with it).

    Cons
    -Grey ink cartridge goes pretty fast
    -no individual ink tanks
    -"U" shaped paper path ( I prefer as straight a path as possible)
    -Physically large unit

    Pros
    -Amazing color and B&W prints on both HP and Epson papers
    -Reasonably fast
    -Can be used as a card reader
    -Can print without a computer (which also means it doesn't tie up your
    computer with "spooling" for very long)

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Ronald Murray

    Hoffman Guest

    All three makes do excellent photo prints. I have a Canon S820, the
    precurser to the S900 and the current i960. They have individual ink tanks,
    a removable head that can be cleaned or, if necessary replaced, and print
    excellent photos very quickly. For the reasons mentioned previously and my
    personal experience, unless you need the HP with the gray inks for printing
    black and white photos, I'd go with one of the Canons.

    Larry.

    Hoffman, Apr 13, 2004
  8. Hello
    Thank-you very much to those who shed some light on my printer question. I
    just missed out on an auction for the HP 7960 , but will keep my eye open
    for any of those mentioned. Thanks again.
    ron

    The 7960 sells here in Halifax for $399.95 Canadian + 15% sales tax. I
    haven't priced any Canon's yet but hope to get one possibly on ebay or other
    auction site for a better price.
    Ronald Murray, Apr 13, 2004