    What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    are the dogs & lemons?

    Philip
    Philip, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Philip

    Chris Lim Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    > with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    > like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >
    > Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    > stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    > from the flash card.

    I have a Canon i865 and it's great for photos. I'm not sure about a $95
    printer though, I would go for something like the Canon Pixma IP2200.
    Chris Lim, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Philip

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:42 +1200, Philip <> wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    >with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    >like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >
    >Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    >stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    >from the flash card.
    >
    >USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too
    >much. I'd like to stay below $150 all in.
    >
    >What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    >are the dogs & lemons?
    >
    >Philip

    A low end Crap Model, go for the R230, that is a Good Photo Printer.
    , Jun 10, 2006
  4. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:42 +1200, Philip <>
    exclaimed:

    >I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    >with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    >like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >
    >Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    >stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    >from the flash card.
    >
    >USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too
    >much. I'd like to stay below $150 all in.
    >
    >What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    >are the dogs & lemons?

    Don't even bother with Epson inkjets. You'll end up using most of your
    ink cleaning the heads.

    Get a Canon. Probably an IP2200 would be close to that pricerange.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 10, 2006
  5. Philip

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <4489f592$>, Philip <> wrote:

    >Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    >stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    >from the flash card.
    >
    >USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too
    >much. I'd like to stay below $150 all in.

    The May issue of PC Authority magazine had an in-depth test on the running
    costs of inkjet printers for printing photos. As well as testing print
    quality, they measured the cost per print (using each manufacturer's
    recommended or branded photo paper) for both 6x4 and A4. Finally, they took
    into account the usage pattern. Some printers go through an extended
    cleaning cycle (wastes a lot of ink) if left powered off or not used for a
    while, or when changing ink tanks. Some printers wasted up to 50% of the
    ink, but interestingly they tended to be the ones with the cheaper
    cartridges so the final cost per print was similar. Printers with cheap ink
    costs tended to have expensive paper.

    They gave "best value" (cheap ink and paper, reasonable printer cost) to the
    Epson R250, and "Labs Winner" to the HP 8450. In the "under $150" range
    the Canon Pixma iP2200 was almost as cheap to run as the Epson R250, and
    even better if you can find a cheaper paper than Canon's that still gives
    you good quality prints.

    As a general rule, avoid the Lexmarks. Indifferent qrint quality and
    over-the-top ink costs.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Jun 10, 2006
  6. Philip

    E. Scrooge Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:42 +1200, Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    >>with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    >>like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >>
    >>Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    >>stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    >>from the flash card.
    >>
    >>USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too
    >>much. I'd like to stay below $150 all in.
    >>
    >>What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    >>are the dogs & lemons?
    >>
    >>Philip

    > A low end Crap Model, go for the R230, that is a Good Photo Printer.

    Bloody bullshit!
    Even if the thing was free, the high running costs put the R230 right out of
    the budget range. They're not cheap for nothing, the costs of seperate inks
    and special Epson paper for the special inks from Epson more than makes up
    for the cheap cost of the printer.
    It's 6 cartidges work out at about $100 for the lot if you're real lucky.
    After replacing the ink catridges twice he would've almost spent as much as
    what your R230 cost in the first place.

    It depends all entirely on Philips needs.

    I'm quite happy with the cheap Canon I've got. About $25 now for the colour
    cartridge, and the small bugger does many good quality prints before running
    out.
    Real budget printers - running costs included - give real good value with
    the resolution that they offer compared to printers of about 5 years ago and
    older.

    Whatever Philip chooses to best fit his needs I'm sure that he'll be very
    happy with compared the printers that were out some years ago.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 10, 2006
  7. Philip

    Robin Corn Guest

    > A low end Crap Model, go for the R230, that is a Good Photo Printer.

    After a lot of years disliking inkjet photos compared to 'real' photos, I
    finally bought a R230 mainly to print on CDs. The photos are brilliant,
    though, I dunno if it's just my aging eyes, but these new printers have
    finally got there for photo quality. Epson are the only printers which fool
    me into thinking they're real photos.
    I've been using Perfectink paper and ink to keep the cost down (I get
    discount from from old work), but it does seem quite dear compared to 38
    cent prints from DigitalMax...
    Robin Corn, Jun 10, 2006
  8. Philip

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Robin Corn" <> wrote in message

    >> A low end Crap Model, go for the R230, that is a Good Photo Printer.
    >>

    > After a lot of years disliking inkjet photos compared to 'real' photos, I
    > finally bought a R230 mainly to print on CDs. The photos are brilliant,
    > though, I dunno if it's just my aging eyes, but these new printers have
    > finally got there for photo quality. Epson are the only printers which
    > fool me into thinking they're real photos.
    > I've been using Perfectink paper and ink to keep the cost down (I get
    > discount from from old work), but it does seem quite dear compared to 38
    > cent prints from DigitalMax...

    Hardly, not when you've got complete control over how you choose to edit and
    print your pictures.
    Try comparing the costs of A4 printing, then there's a much bigger
    difference in favour of the home printer.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 10, 2006
  9. Philip

    Jo Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    > with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    > like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >
    > Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    > stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print from
    > the flash card.
    >
    > USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too much.
    > I'd like to stay below $150 all in.
    >
    > What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    > are the dogs & lemons?
    >
    > Philip

    I use a Canon MP130 and am happy with it, it prints well for 6x10 prints,
    but I have noticed the paper does need to dry overnight to get good colour
    saturation, you can also print individual photos from the memory card
    directly on the printer via pictbridge if you are that way inclined.

    Since I have teens with cameras and a print everything habit, the cost of
    the cartridges is what first attracted me, since you can now get
    professionally printed A4 prints for around $10, probably less if you do it
    regularly then that may be the way to go. MP130 scanner/Printer cost me $168
    2 ink catridges @ $15 each, pictbridge and usb connection. Suits my
    purposes.
    Jo, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Philip

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:40:23 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:42 +1200, Philip <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking to buy a photo printer and was attracted to the Epson C67,
    >>>with four separate ink tanks, $95 at the Warehouse Stationery and looks
    >>>like it is fairly up to date with technology, long lasting ink etc.
    >>>
    >>>Main use will be photographs, with occasional letters & knitting &
    >>>stitching patterns. We'll edit our own pix, don't need instant print
    >>>from the flash card.
    >>>
    >>>USB connection required, network would be pretty, but might cost too
    >>>much. I'd like to stay below $150 all in.
    >>>
    >>>What do others here use, what do people recommend? And crucially, which
    >>>are the dogs & lemons?
    >>>
    >>>Philip

    >> A low end Crap Model, go for the R230, that is a Good Photo Printer.

    >Bloody bullshit!

    No you are so full of CRAP and Do not know a thing about these printers, go
    play with your PSx you silly little Boy..

    >Even if the thing was free, the high running costs put the R230 right out of
    >the budget range. They're not cheap for nothing, the costs of seperate inks
    >and special Epson paper for the special inks from Epson more than makes up
    >for the cheap cost of the printer.
    >It's 6 cartidges work out at about $100 for the lot if you're real lucky.
    >After replacing the ink catridges twice he would've almost spent as much as
    >what your R230 cost in the first place.
    >
    >It depends all entirely on Philips needs.
    >
    >I'm quite happy with the cheap Canon I've got. About $25 now for the colour
    >cartridge, and the small bugger does many good quality prints before running
    >out.
    >Real budget printers - running costs included - give real good value with
    >the resolution that they offer compared to printers of about 5 years ago and
    >older.
    >
    >Whatever Philip chooses to best fit his needs I'm sure that he'll be very
    >happy with compared the printers that were out some years ago.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    , Jun 11, 2006
  11. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:42:59 +1200,
    exclaimed:

    >No you are so full of CRAP and Do not know a thing about these printers, go
    >play with your PSx you silly little Boy..

    BRILLIANT!!!!!

    Oh, how I've missed the Woger of old....
    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2006
  12. On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:30:52 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:42:59 +1200,
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>No you are so full of CRAP and Do not know a thing about these printers, go
    >>play with your PSx you silly little Boy..

    > BRILLIANT!!!!!
    >
    > Oh, how I've missed the Woger of old....

    DO try not to miss next time ... get the sights adjusted.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 11, 2006