    Any recommendations?

    Thanks,

    John
    John, Dec 19, 2004

  2. John

    nosredna Guest

    In article <pBfxd.525215$wV.312885@attbi_s54>, "John" <>
    wrote:

    > I've been looking for a photo printer and don't know what to start. I've
    > seen the type that require special cartridges and the "printer-like" styles
    > that take what look like print cartridges.
    >
    > I've always liked HP printers and am leaning towards the HP Photosmart 375.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    I highly recommend the Canon i960.
    nosredna, Dec 19, 2004

  3. John

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I agree...the Canon i960 is an excellent printer. However, it's been
    discontinued, and discounted, and it's Christmas time, so it may be next to
    impossible to find one.

    If you can go the extra bucks, check out Canon's new PIXMA iP8500.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 19, 2004
  4. "John" <> writes:

    > I've been looking for a photo printer and don't know what to start. I've
    > seen the type that require special cartridges and the "printer-like" styles
    > that take what look like print cartridges.
    >
    > I've always liked HP printers and am leaning towards the HP Photosmart 375.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    For 4x6 printers, the 375 is nice. I bought one about two months ago and use
    it for my 4x6 prints. I use my Deskjet for the 8x10 prints that I do at home
    (and send out prints to mpix.com that I want larger, or I'm giving away). We
    just had our church pagent today, and I was doing my usual photographing the
    scene from the rear of the church (using external flash and my Olympus C-2100UZ
    camera). I was able to print up about 10 pictures to show people right there
    what the pictures were like, with lots of oohs and ahhhs. I bought the 375B
    with the battery option, and I was running the printer off of battery power.
    The little LCD to select the pictures was kind of clunky and hard to judge
    details on.

    It takes a standard HP cartridge, and so you should be able it just about
    anywhere. Note, you do have a choice in paper between the nanoporous papers
    (Ilford Smooth Pearl, Hammerhill Photo pro, Staples photo, etc.) that are
    instant dry, and water resistant but only will last a decade or so (in theory),
    and the swellable papers (Kodak Ultima with Colorlife, HP Premium Plus papers,
    etc.) that will last in theory for 100 years, but the least drop of water will
    ruin it. For the church today, I went with a nanoporous paper.

    HP is now selling value packs of paper that include 1 or 2 cartridges of ink
    and HP premium plus paper that can reduce the cost to $0.29/print:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...fondfgf.0&product_code=Q6636AN#140&catLevel=1

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 19, 2004
  5. John

    measekite Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > I agree...the Canon i960 is an excellent printer. However, it's been
    > discontinued, and discounted, and it's Christmas time, so it may be next to
    > impossible to find one.
    >
    > If you can go the extra bucks, check out Canon's new PIXMA iP8500.
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "nosredna" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <pBfxd.525215$wV.312885@attbi_s54>, "John" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been looking for a photo printer and don't know what to start. I've
    >>>seen the type that require special cartridges and the "printer-like"
    >>>styles
    >>>that take what look like print cartridges.
    >>>
    >>>I've always liked HP printers and am leaning towards the HP Photosmart
    >>>375.
    >>>
    >>>Any recommendations?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>John

    >>I highly recommend the Canon i960.

    I am sure that is a great printer but I am not sure I would recommend it
    UNLESS one needs a dual purpose printer with full duplexing. A better
    choice for Photo Printing would be the Canon i9900. While is does not
    have the Pixma Packaging (body shell) and it does not support duplexing,
    it is the wide body version of the 8500. Better said the ip8500 is the
    narrow body version of the i9900. It has the same print engine complete
    with the same 8 ink tanks and prints up to 13x19. You never know when
    you have great shorts and want an 11x17, 11x14 or larger. To bad is
    does not print a 16x20 or a 16x25.

    I would initally recommend the ip4000 or consider the ip5000. The small
    droplet size of the ip5000 concerns me when evaluating the print
    nozzles. While I have specifically heard of clogging, the printer is so
    new that it may be a concern.
    measekite, Dec 20, 2004
  6. John

    zog Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've been looking for a photo printer and don't know what to start. I've
    > seen the type that require special cartridges and the "printer-like" styles
    > that take what look like print cartridges.

    well I only wanted 6x4 prints so I when with an Epson Picturemate, ok it
    uses one large 6 colour cartridge, but that will do 100 prints, results
    are stunning( to me anyway), as good or better than anything I used to
    get with the old film camera.

    prints are water and smudge resistant straight out of the printer, so no
    worries in handing the prints around, and yes I tested a couple of
    prints by running them under the tap, they just wiped dry, no runs,
    smudges whatever, the prints are also archival quality thanks to the
    Ultrachrome inks, last up to 100years under glass

    also the printer has a multicard reader built in, so it will read
    practically any card on the market and even usb key drives, I put a few
    pictures on the 256m drive and plugged into the printer, it found the
    pictures and printed them.

    and you don't need to have the printer plugged into a computer to print
    pictures, and when you do have it plugged in the multicard reader is
    handy because the computer just sees it as another drive.
    zog, Dec 20, 2004
  7. John

    bob Guest

    "John" <> wrote in news:pBfxd.525215$wV.312885@attbi_s54:

    > I've been looking for a photo printer and don't know what to start.
    > I've

    Start by identifying your needs:

    How many prints?
    What sizes?
    What speed?
    How much are you willing to spend?

    For my needs, taking photos out (to Wal-Mart, CVS, Wallgreens, or
    whereever) is faster and cheaper. Your needs could easily be different.
    In my case, for right now, I think that making large prints might be the
    only reason I would want to own an inkjet.

    Bob
    bob, Dec 20, 2004