Photo Printer Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I have about $200 to spend at Best Buys. I am looking for a photo
    printer. I have three main purposes:

    1. Use as a regular (text) printer. Doesn't have to be super, just
    good. But, more important are...
    2. Print the usual 4 x 6 photos from time-to-time.
    3. Use to print what will essentially be proofs to determine what needs
    to be done before taking it to a lab to be printed better or larger (16
    x 20 or so - I am using a 5MP camera).

    If need be, I can use my current ink jet for text, but desktop real
    estate is a problem, so I prefer to go with one printer. I doubt I will
    ever print directly from a memory card or onto CDs.

    Some questions: What is more important, printer resolution or drop
    size? Or something else?

    What's my best bet?

    TIA.

    Alan, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Alan

    Bigguy Guest

    Take a look at the Canon iP4000 and iP5000 printers.
    Two paper feeds/types, fast, quiet, economical.
    I have the iP5000 and the print quality is excellent.

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10439

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Alan

    birdman Guest

    First of all, if you only want to occasionally print 4x6 it is not cost
    effective to print your own.
    The Canon's are fast and have reasonable ink costs for an inkjet.
    However if you become serious about color photo printing you will never come
    to believe reasonable quality printing is possible if you only have
    experience with Canon printers, Canon printer driver protocols for color
    managment, should you pursue this,are seriously deficient across the Canon
    line such that even with calibration devices it is not easy to print
    consistently with any Canon printer. I only have my personal experience with
    Canon printers calibrated using external colorimeters to lead me to this
    conclusion.
    Look into Epsons for better driver software.
    Even HP is better than Canon in this regard.

    birdman, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Bigguy" <> wrote in message
    > Take a look at the Canon iP4000 and iP5000 printers.
    > Two paper feeds/types, fast, quiet, economical.
    > I have the iP5000 and the print quality is excellent.

    Thanks Bigguy. I went with the iP4000. So far, I am amazed. Quality is
    excellent, and the printer is fast. I am having a problem with then included
    EasyPhotoPrint software. Got any experience with it. It won't strt- just
    gives an error. I posted it in a new thread.

    Thanks agin, the printer is fantastic.

    Alan, Jul 3, 2005