    What is the minimum resolution required for a decent print for a photo print
    on photographic paper using a service such as kodak.com

    Thanks

    Mike McCloud, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Mike McCloud

    larrylook Guest

    larrylook, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Mike McCloud

    larrylook Guest

    larrylook, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Mike McCloud

    Bob Williams Guest

    Mike McCloud wrote:
    > What is the minimum resolution required for a decent print for a photo print
    > on photographic paper using a service such as kodak.com
    >
    > Thanks

    As others have said, It all depends on what YOU consider a "decent
    print" My rules of thumb are:
    300-250 Pixels/inch = Excellent
    200 ppi = Very Good
    150ppi = Good
    100ppi = decent.
    A lot depends on the detail in the image.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Mike McCloud

    Matt Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:34:36 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >Mike McCloud wrote:
    >> What is the minimum resolution required for a decent print for a photo print
    >> on photographic paper using a service such as kodak.com
    >>

    >As others have said, It all depends on what YOU consider a "decent
    >print" My rules of thumb are:
    >300-250 Pixels/inch = Excellent
    >200 ppi = Very Good
    >150ppi = Good
    >100ppi = decent.
    >A lot depends on the detail in the image.

    The suggested PPI values (minimum) in from an earlier post, are BARE
    MINIMUM.

    The old rule of thumb I remember (for scanned images) is 200 pixels
    per inch, or 1/3 of the printer resolution.

    200-300 is a decent close-viewing print.

    The basic rule, though, is for any available number of image pixels,
    it won't hurt to double the print size if you also double the viewing
    distance - perhaps oversimplified.

    If making a poster size enlargement though, rather than allowing the
    pixels per inch to go through the floor, I'd suggest enlarging the
    image yourself, unless they are going to enlarge it with something
    better.

    Of the methods in my favourite free tool (Irfanview), I favour:
    1. Lanczos - best at holding on to detail, but unforgiving of JPEG
    artifacts.
    2. B-Spline - soft-ish, and does not emphasize artifacts like Lanczos

    I suppose you could try feeding them back into a program with layers
    and mask blend the two, or selectively sharpen the B-Spline or blur
    the Lanczos.

    That is really why you should enlarge the image yourself, as you can
    then look for any defects that are revealed.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Sep 23, 2004