Photo Papers For Epson 2100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have just tried printing an A4 sized colour photo with Epson ColorLife
    paper on the Epson 2100 printer. The resulting print had narrow horizontal
    bands across the picture. The nozzle check indicated that cleaning the
    printing heads is not necessary. Before this I had successfully used Epson
    Premium Semigloss paper and after using ColorLife, I successfully used Epson
    Premium Glossy photo paper. I haven't had this happen with several A3 prints
    using premium semigloss photo paper.

    The software for the Epson 2100 doesn't specify ColorLife paper, so I
    selected premium semigloss photo paper, because colorlife is a semigloss
    paper. In fact, the media type selection of papers for the 2100 doesn't
    include photo quality ink jet paper either, can this be used with the 2100,
    and what media type would you select?

    The only media choices the software gives me are: plain paper; archival
    matte paper; premium semigloss photo paper; glossy paper - photo weight;
    and watercolor paper - radiant white. Are there any others that I am somehow
    missing?

    I don't want to run the cleaning printing heads utility because it uses ink
    and the printer is quite new. Is this printer quite limited in the photo
    papers it can use?

    Thanks very much for your feedback.

    John
    John, Nov 30, 2004

  2. John

    stanb Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I have just tried printing an A4 sized colour photo with Epson ColorLife
    > paper on the Epson 2100 printer. The resulting print had narrow horizontal
    > bands across the picture. The nozzle check indicated that cleaning the
    > printing heads is not necessary. Before this I had successfully used Epson
    > Premium Semigloss paper and after using ColorLife, I successfully used

    Epson
    > Premium Glossy photo paper. I haven't had this happen with several A3

    prints
    > using premium semigloss photo paper.
    >
    > The software for the Epson 2100 doesn't specify ColorLife paper, so I
    > selected premium semigloss photo paper, because colorlife is a semigloss
    > paper. In fact, the media type selection of papers for the 2100 doesn't
    > include photo quality ink jet paper either, can this be used with the

    2100,
    > and what media type would you select?

    This works ok - use the archive matt settings

    > The only media choices the software gives me are: plain paper; archival
    > matte paper; premium semigloss photo paper; glossy paper - photo weight;
    > and watercolor paper - radiant white. Are there any others that I am

    somehow
    > missing?

    thats pretty much it from epson. there are other papers/canavsses
    suitablefor use withet ultrachrome inks - have a hunt around DPreviews
    printer /epson forums
    > I don't want to run the cleaning printing heads utility because it uses

    ink
    > and the printer is quite new. Is this printer quite limited in the photo
    > papers it can use?

    to a degree yes... pigmented inks behave differently to dye based inks and
    not all paper is designed to use with both; I think this is what has
    happened wth your colourlife paper - Obviously epson has papers optomised
    for its own printers, hence its pretty explicit about what epson papers to
    use. Some third party manufacturers also make papers that are suitable
    (ilford do - i think it is the smooth not the classic) - Again checkout
    DPreview

    stanb, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Colorlife paper is a different technology than the other papers you
    mention. It is what is referred to as a swellable polymer type, while
    the others are either kaolin or micropore.

    Swellable polymer papers are designed specifically for dye ink printers.
    Your printer uses pigmented inks. In this case, the Colorlife product
    was designed to help to reduce fading with Epson 6 color dye ink
    printers, which were not always holding their color with micropore papers.

    Pigmented inks do not require papers with these types of features, as
    the ink itself has good fade resistance. All inkjet printer
    technologies require certain paper surface characteristics to get the
    best result, and they differ by brand, ink type, and method of inkjet
    technology.

    There are a good many papers which will work well with the 2100, beyond
    Epson's own large selection. You did select one type which is not
    appropriate for that printer, however.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Nov 30, 2004
  4. John

    Ryadia Guest

    "Arthur Entlich" <> wrote in message
    > Colorlife paper is a different technology than the other papers you
    > mention. It is what is referred to as a swellable polymer type, while
    > the others are either kaolin or micropore.
    >
    > Swellable polymer papers are designed specifically for dye ink printers.
    > Your printer uses pigmented inks. In this case, the Colorlife product
    > was designed to help to reduce fading with Epson 6 color dye ink
    > printers, which were not always holding their color with micropore papers.
    >
    > Pigmented inks do not require papers with these types of features, as
    > the ink itself has good fade resistance. All inkjet printer
    > technologies require certain paper surface characteristics to get the
    > best result, and they differ by brand, ink type, and method of inkjet
    > technology.
    >
    > There are a good many papers which will work well with the 2100, beyond
    > Epson's own large selection. You did select one type which is not
    > appropriate for that printer, however.
    >
    > Art

    A French firm markets a paper known a "Canson" which is quite exceptional
    when used with pigment inks. It takes several days for dye inks to dry on it
    but pigment inks and Canson 'semi-gloss' paper are well suited. There is not
    a big difference between gloss and semi.
    Ryadia, Nov 30, 2004
  5. John

    John Guest

    Thanks very much for the replies to this question, after reading them, the
    retailer had no problems in giving me a refund for the ColorLife paper. I
    tried the archive matt setting to print on photo quality ink jet paper, and
    this worked ok, so I have kept this paper, even though the software media
    choices do not specify photo quality ink jet paper. Thanks to stanb for this
    tip.

    John

    John, Dec 1, 2004