    researched this. i'm looking for quality at a good price.

    thanks in advance!!
    teresa

    Teresa, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Teresa

    Scott Doles Guest

    I've used quite a few different photo papers and the 2 that I like the most
    are Kodak High Gloss and HP Photo Paper High Gloss. Hope this helps.

    "Teresa" <> wrote in message
    > hi all,
    > wanted to get your oppinions:
    > what's the best photo paper for the best price. i'd like to start printing
    > my own photos, but don't know what paper i should be looking for. i've

    been

    Scott Doles, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Teresa

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Teresa"

    >wanted to get your oppinions:
    >what's the best photo paper for the best price.

    Which printer are you using? Makes a BIG difference ...

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Teresa

    The Dude Guest

    Konica.

    The Dude, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Teresa

    Teresa Guest

    I have an Epson Stylus Photo 780
    Thanks again,
    Teresa

    Teresa, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Teresa

    Bob Kozubal Guest

    Teresa,
    I did a test a few months ago using several different papers with my
    Epson 785EPX printer. I found that the Epson Premium Gloss Photo Paper
    produced the best results. A VERY close second was the Office Depot
    Gloss Photo Paper. The NCR paper I tried produced decent results. By far
    the worse results were obtained with the Kodak High Gloss and HP High
    Gloss Photo Paper.

    Hope I was of some help.

    Bob

    Bob Kozubal, Nov 5, 2003
  7. "Bob Kozubal" <> wrote in message
    > Teresa,
    > I did a test a few months ago using several different papers with my
    > Epson 785EPX printer. I found that the Epson Premium Gloss Photo Paper
    > produced the best results. A VERY close second was the Office Depot

    I also get the best results with Epson Photo Paper ... but have not tried
    all of them.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Teresa

    Teresa Guest

    Thank you, thank you!!
    Teresa

    Teresa, Nov 6, 2003
  9. The paper is an integral part of a printing SYSTEM.
    The system consists of Printer, Ink and Paper.
    Most (All?) systems are designed to work best with ink and paper from the
    printer manufacturer.
    Thus, Epson Printers work best with Epson Papers.
    H-P printers work best with H-P Paper.
    That is why you often get conflicting answers to this question.
    However, even with the same printer manufacturer, ....lets say Epson....not all
    Epson papers work equally well with all Epson Printers. The reason is because
    the inks may be different in different MODELS of Epson printers. For instance
    the Epson 2200 uses Pigment based inks, whereas the Epson 960 uses Dye based
    inks (entirely different beasts).
    Consequently, Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper is excellent for the 960, but it
    doesn't work so well with the 2200.
    Both work well with Epson Heavyweight Matte. And Matte is one of the cheapest
    Epson Papers. I really like it.
    IMO, the best Paper value for your Epson 780 is Epson Glossy Photo at Costco.
    (120 sheets for $20). That is less than 1/2 of what you pay at most stores. The
    Heavyweight Matte is also an excellent value when you buy it in 100 sheet lots.
    ( about $20 for 100 sheets almost everywhere).
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Bingo! Epson's system seems to work best, by far, with their own
    papers. I suggest you stick with them.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Teresa

    Bill Guest

    I agree that it's best to stay with paper and printer of the same brands.
    Epson with Epson, HP with HP, etc.
    I use an HP printer, and HP paper gives the best results. Generic gloss
    papers were disappointing, although I recently tried Ilford "Galerie" smooth
    gloss and it's given me very satisfactory results.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 6, 2003
  12. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in

    > Epson's system seems to work best, by far, with their own
    > papers.

    On many non-Epson brand papers, my Epson Stylus 880 can't print period. The
    ink doesn't stick. So, be careful and buy small quantities for
    experimentation.

    I did find that Ritz brand photo paper works, and it produces excellent
    results. It's very similar to Epson's excellent "Premium Glossy Photo
    Paper", but it's about 33% cheaper.

    --
    To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

    Tony Whitaker, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Teresa

    Azzz1588 Guest

    <> writes:

    >what's the best photo paper for the best price

    Olympus Camedia photo film

    TDK professional grade glossy (or matt) paper

    These are the best to me, and my epson 820

    YMMV.................

    Azzz1588, Nov 6, 2003
  14. Teresa

    Steinberger Guest

    I don't know about the best paper, but the best prices I've found are at
    Costco. Kodak Premium Glossy (100 Sheets) for $39.00 (canadian). Epson
    semi-gloss (100 sheets) for $29.00 (canadian).

    Steinberger, Nov 6, 2003
  15. Teresa

    Luk Guest

    Steinberger wrote:

    > I don't know about the best paper, but the best prices I've found are at
    > Costco.

    Yes. 100 sheets of Epson glossy photo paper is
    $20 at Costco.

    But suppose I have a Canon printer.
    I'm not convinced that using Canon paper
    is necessary just because I have a Canon printer.

    Re: fading-- I noticed when lab tests were made
    comparing papers, the papers were not tested
    when used by printers from other companies.
    For example, Epson paper was not used with
    Canon printers in the tests.

    I remain skeptical about the theory that one must
    stick with paper having the same brand name
    as the printer. Seems to me good paper is good
    paper and quality ink is quality ink.

    Luk

    Luk, Nov 6, 2003
  16. Teresa

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Luk" <> wrote:
    > I remain skeptical about the theory that one must
    > stick with paper having the same brand name
    > as the printer. Seems to me good paper is good
    > paper and quality ink is quality ink.

    Chemical composition of the paper AND the ink are the factors that make
    'same brand' inks and papers work best together. I'm sure that Epson, for
    example used their own paper when developing the inks to be specified for
    them. Common sense, really!
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Nov 6, 2003
  17. Teresa

    mark herring Guest

    "Teresa" <> wrote in message
    > hi all,
    > wanted to get your oppinions:
    > what's the best photo paper for the best price. i'd like to start printing
    > my own photos, but don't know what paper i should be looking for. i've

    been
    > using Epson Photo Paper. it's ok, but i want to know if anyone has
    > researched this. i'm looking for quality at a good price.
    >
    > thanks in advance!!
    > teresa

    There are about 10 Gazillion combinations of ink and paper. While it is
    true that manufacturers have found combos that work well, those do not mean
    that others will NOT work.

    Epson has a good choice of papers that work well with their (4) differnet
    ink sets. This does NOT mean that others will not work well. 3rd party ink
    suppliers will tell you a range of papers that work well with THEIR inks.

    For general use (Epson 1280, dye-based ink), I've always liked the Epson
    papers.

    Some useful sites: Atlex: branded and 3rd party ink and paper
    Mediastreet: Ink and paper
    MIS (inksupply): Ink and paper

    mark herring, Nov 6, 2003
  18. Teresa

    Pedro Guest

    I buy Aldi photo paper made in Germany, no problems with ink sticking also
    I now buy compatible inks and my printer is Epson 925. I do agree that the
    best results are with Epson products in an Epson printer, but at what price,
    so I use I use compatible. With Photoshop or Paintshop pro you can make
    final adjustments to the required colour, and get just as good results as
    using Epson products.
    Pedro

    Pedro, Nov 6, 2003
  19. Teresa

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > I agree that it's best to stay with paper and printer of the same
    > brands. Epson with Epson, HP with HP, etc.
    > I use an HP printer, and HP paper gives the best results.

    So do I, and I agree.

    HP photo-paper is manufactured to take advantage of
    the "photoREt IV/PRO" process, which is a combination
    of inkjet and dye-sublimation (a.k.a. "thermal inkjet"),
    accomplished by way of heating the paper (which reacts
    with a sort of microscopic "orange peeling") and fitting
    color pigments underneath.

    Obviously, it ONLY works with an HP-Photosmart
    printer.

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 8, 2003