Photo Paper: Which side to print?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thomas Minter, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    you print on the dull side?

    I await your expert responses.

    Thanks,
    Tom
     
    Thomas Minter, Jun 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Thomas Minter

    DaveJ Guest

    "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    > print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    > you print on the dull side?
    >
    > I await your expert responses.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom
    >

    I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
    'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
    between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
    standard Laser/Inkjet paper.
     
    DaveJ, Jun 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. DaveJ wrote:

    > "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >>you print on the dull side?
    >>
    >>I await your expert responses.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Tom
    >>

    >
    > I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
    > 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
    > between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
    > standard Laser/Inkjet paper.


    I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
    really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
    are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
    to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?

    Gary Eickmeier
     
    Gary Eickmeier, Jun 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Thomas Minter

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:12:38 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >DaveJ wrote:
    >
    >> "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >>>you print on the dull side?
    >>>
    >>>I await your expert responses.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
    >> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
    >> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
    >> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

    >
    >I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
    >really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
    >are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
    >to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier


    In my experience, the printing side is the "top" side.
    Which side is the top? When you open the package, the "top" is obvious
    to me.
    In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off from.
    IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top surface.
    In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the front of the
    pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards you; open the
    pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the top side of the
    sheet.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
     
    Bill Funk, Jun 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Thomas Minter

    Sheldon Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    news:amBve.186831$...
    >
    >
    > DaveJ wrote:
    >
    >> "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >>>you print on the dull side?
    >>>
    >>>I await your expert responses.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
    >> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
    >> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier
    >> than
    >> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

    >
    > I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
    > really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They are
    > absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say to be
    > sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier


    Personally I really like the Epson matte papers. If you look really hard at
    both sides you can figure it out. The coated side is very white and looks
    like it has a matte coating on it. Lately I've been buying papers that you
    can print on both sides. This definitely resolves the problem. <LOL>
     
    Sheldon, Jun 26, 2005
    #5
  6. Thomas Minter

    Markeau Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    news:amBve.186831$...
    > I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What
    > is really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon.
    > They are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the
    > instructions say to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?


    Take a single sheet and bend it over itself so you can see both the
    front and back at the same time ... print on the whiter/lighter side
    (I think :)
     
    Markeau, Jun 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Thomas Minter

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:52:06 -0400, Thomas Minter <> wrote:

    >I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >you print on the dull side?
    >
    >I await your expert responses.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tom


    I would imagine that satin means 'somewhat glossy'... I'd try that side...

    You could always try each side and pick the better one!

    No instructions on the package?
     
    Bob, Jun 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Thomas Minter

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:12:38 GMT, Gary Eickmeier <>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >DaveJ wrote:
    >
    >> "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >>>you print on the dull side?
    >>>
    >>>I await your expert responses.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
    >> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
    >> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
    >> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

    >
    >I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
    >really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
    >are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
    >to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier


    Sometimes the printable side looks bluer then the other, you have to compare it
    to standard paper, such as fan-fold (remember that?). I have some Weyerhaeuser
    satin/matt paper that is almost impossible to tell until you put it beside
    regular paper, then the print side looks really blue!
     
    Bob, Jun 27, 2005
    #8
  9. Bill Funk wrote:

    > In my experience, the printing side is the "top" side.
    > Which side is the top? When you open the package, the "top" is obvious
    > to me.
    > In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off from.
    > IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top surface.
    > In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the front of the
    > pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards you; open the
    > pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the top side of the
    > sheet.
    >

    Gosh, that sure makes it easy. Silly of me - to think that they might
    have printed a logo or some hint on the backside to let us know.

    Gary Eickmeier
     
    Gary Eickmeier, Jun 27, 2005
    #9
  10. Thomas Minter

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Thomas Minter <> wrote:

    > I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    > print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    > you print on the dull side?
    >
    > I await your expert responses.
    >

    Simple - print on either side. If it looks terrible, you've printed on
    the wrong side, just turn the paper over and print again
     
    Stewy, Jun 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    []
    > Gosh, that sure makes it easy. Silly of me - to think that they might
    > have printed a logo or some hint on the backside to let us know.


    They used to print arrows on the side of the packet pointing to the side
    on which to print. Don't know why they stopped that>

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2005
    #11
  12. Thomas Minter

    Andrew Haley Guest

    Stewy <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Thomas Minter <> wrote:


    >> I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    >> print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    >> you print on the dull side?
    >>
    >> I await your expert responses.
    >>

    > Simple - print on either side. If it looks terrible, you've printed on
    > the wrong side, just turn the paper over and print again


    Lick your finger and thumb and pick the paper up by a corner. The
    side of the paper that adheres to your finger is the coated side.

    Andrew.
     
    Andrew Haley, Jun 27, 2005
    #12
  13. Thomas Minter

    RustY© Guest

    "Thomas Minter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
    > print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
    > you print on the dull side?
    >
    > I await your expert responses.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom
    >


    Lick the corner ! You can 'taste' the coated side.
     
    RustY©, Jun 27, 2005
    #13
  14. Thomas Minter

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:23:02 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
    > really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon.
    > They are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions
    > say to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?


    >> In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off from.
    >> IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top surface.
    >> In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the front of the
    >> pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards you; open the
    >> pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the top side of the
    >> sheet.

    >
    > Gosh, that sure makes it easy. Silly of me - to think that they might
    > have printed a logo or some hint on the backside to let us know.


    I don't have matte paper to check, but the with my glossy papers,
    Canon's reverse side is blank, but the Epson paper has the word
    "Epson" visible is you look very carefully. It's not a watermark,
    but almost as difficult to see. If your matte Epson papers don't
    have this, is there any chance that they were purchased from a store
    such as Wal-Mart, known to distribute slightly non-standard versions
    of paper, presumably because they buy such large amounts that they
    can pay less and have at least a slight ability to 're-spec' the
    product?
     
    ASAAR, Jun 27, 2005
    #14
  15. Stewy wrote:


    > Simple - print on either side. If it looks terrible, you've printed on
    > the wrong side, just turn the paper over and print again


    And what is "simple" about that?

    Gary Eickmeier
     
    Gary Eickmeier, Jun 27, 2005
    #15
  16. Thomas Minter

    Frank ess Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:23:02 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >
    >> I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What
    >> is
    >> really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon.
    >> They are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the
    >> instructions say to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?

    >
    >>> In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off
    >>> from. IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top
    >>> surface. In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the
    >>> front of the pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards
    >>> you; open the pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the
    >>> top side of the sheet.

    >>
    >> Gosh, that sure makes it easy. Silly of me - to think that they
    >> might
    >> have printed a logo or some hint on the backside to let us know.

    >
    > I don't have matte paper to check, but the with my glossy papers,
    > Canon's reverse side is blank, but the Epson paper has the word
    > "Epson" visible is you look very carefully. It's not a watermark,
    > but almost as difficult to see. If your matte Epson papers don't
    > have this, is there any chance that they were purchased from a store
    > such as Wal-Mart, known to distribute slightly non-standard versions
    > of paper, presumably because they buy such large amounts that they
    > can pay less and have at least a slight ability to 're-spec' the
    > product?


    Mr Costco's hard box (Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper)
    is sold with an Epson-like decor. Somewhere I read it is made in
    Switzerland. Egad.

    Any road, it's easy to tell which side, very glossy; however, its
    formula renders a green-shift defect in every image printed from my
    creaky old Epson Stylus Color 750. Genuine Epson Glossy Photo Paper
    and matte, and that expensive 'professional' paper yield excellent
    color interpretations. And they are marked on the back.

    --
    Frank ess
     
    Frank ess, Jun 27, 2005
    #16
  17. Thomas Minter

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:47:14 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Stewy wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Simple - print on either side. If it looks terrible, you've printed on
    >> the wrong side, just turn the paper over and print again

    >
    >And what is "simple" about that?
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier


    What's difficult about it?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
     
    Bill Funk, Jun 27, 2005
    #17
  18. Thomas Minter

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:19:28 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    >Mr Costco's hard box (Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper)
    >is sold with an Epson-like decor. Somewhere I read it is made in
    >Switzerland. Egad.
    >
    > Any road, it's easy to tell which side, very glossy; however, its
    >formula renders a green-shift defect in every image printed from my
    >creaky old Epson Stylus Color 750. Genuine Epson Glossy Photo Paper
    >and matte, and that expensive 'professional' paper yield excellent
    >color interpretations. And they are marked on the back.


    Frank,

    It's supposedly made by Ilford. Did you go to the Ilford site and download
    the closest profile for the paper. That made a difference with my R800.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html
     
    Ed Ruf, Jun 27, 2005
    #18
  19. Thomas Minter

    Frank ess Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:19:28 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mr Costco's hard box (Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo
    >> Paper) is sold with an Epson-like decor. Somewhere I read it is
    >> made
    >> in Switzerland. Egad.
    >>
    >> Any road, it's easy to tell which side, very glossy; however, its
    >> formula renders a green-shift defect in every image printed from my
    >> creaky old Epson Stylus Color 750. Genuine Epson Glossy Photo Paper
    >> and matte, and that expensive 'professional' paper yield excellent
    >> color interpretations. And they are marked on the back.

    >
    > Frank,
    >
    > It's supposedly made by Ilford. Did you go to the Ilford site and
    > download the closest profile for the paper. That made a difference
    > with my R800. ----------


    Thanks, Ed. I'll try that.

    --
    Frank
     
    Frank ess, Jun 27, 2005
    #19
  20. Thomas Minter

    Skip M Guest

    "Andrew Haley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Lick your finger and thumb and pick the paper up by a corner. The
    > side of the paper that adheres to your finger is the coated side.
    >
    > Andrew.


    I had to chuckle when I read your response. That was how you could tell
    traditional matte photo paper in the darkroom, but I never thought to try it
    with inkjet paper... Wow, the more things change, the more they stay the
    same... ;-)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
     
    Skip M, Jun 28, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    660
    Walter Roberson
    Dec 15, 2004
  2. TRUE

    Help. Windows Explorer side-by-side window

    TRUE, May 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    782
    °Mike°
    May 10, 2004
  3. Eric
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    656
    Toolman Tim
    Jul 28, 2005
  4. R2D2

    G5 vs G3 Side-by-side Pics

    R2D2, Feb 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    442
    Guenter Fieblinger
    Feb 10, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    "east side, west side" (TV series)

    Vlvetmorning98, Jan 14, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    603
    jayembee
    Jan 14, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page