    less than major brands like Canon, HP, and Epson. How does the quality
    differ in IBM's paper. I would assume that it is not as good in some
    respects, but how?
    Alexco, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Well it would help to know what printer and what ink you are using.
    Wile one paper may work very well with one printer, it may work poorly with
    another. It may work good with one ink, but work poorly with another on the
    same printer.

    While it is important to match the printer settings for a specific
    paper, and often you can improve greatly on the default setting for a
    specific paper, you can't make every paper work well with every printer.

    Likely the best thing to do is to try it out with your printer.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Alexco

    ralford Guest

    it is cheap so you can do your own tests. However, I found it
    unsatisfactory and have migrated to the quality papers from canon and Epson.
    I was seduced by the IBM's cost and that of the generic paper at the Office
    * suppliers. The IBM was "muddy" while the generic office photo paper
    shifted red after only months of a print.

    Final answer depends on what you think your prints are worth to you.

    fwiw - printer and ink was canon s900.

    rma

    ralford, Oct 5, 2003
  4. << I was seduced by the IBM's cost and that of the generic paper at the Office
    * suppliers. The IBM was "muddy" while the generic office photo paper
    shifted red after only months of a print >>

    RMA-

    I use Office Depot's Premium High Gloss Photo Paper. It is as good as anything
    I've tried.

    Color shift is just as much a function of the printer as of the paper. It has
    to do with the various ink colors fading at different rates.

    I can't argue with "muddy"!

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Alexco

    Alexco Guest

    I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820
    Alexco, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Alexco

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 5 Oct 2003 02:51:37 -0700, (Alexco) wrote:

    >I just started using my computer more for printing photos, and I was
    >looking at prices for photo paper. IBM has paper for as much as 80%
    >less than major brands like Canon, HP, and Epson. How does the quality
    >differ in IBM's paper. I would assume that it is not as good in some
    >respects, but how?

    Epson Photo Paper (that's what it's called) is around $0.35 a
    sheet (US letter size) at places like Staples and Office Max.
    Usually $35 or so for a 100-sheet box. (Epson P/N S041271)

    Use that as your reference, then go experiment with other
    brands. Bear in mind that ink and media are often made for
    one another and Brand X ink may or may not work properly
    with Brand Y paper (and vice versa.)

    Seems to me an 8x10" photo is worth a $0.35 sheet of paper.

    If you're buying Epson carts, you're spending much more
    than that on the ink.

    For more casual work, try Epson Photo Quality Inkjet Paper --
    about $0.10 a sheet. Very crisp output on any Epson, but
    not as hefty as the Photo Paper.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 6, 2003