    the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks

    Z Man, Jan 3, 2004

  2. In article <6ipJb.53192$>,
    Z Man says...

    > A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up
    > photo paper only for inkjets.

    Right.

    > Some boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it
    > with laser printers because of the higher laser
    > temperatures.

    That's not exactly the reason. Glossy or other "photo"
    papers for high resolution inkjet prints have a coating
    made from a fluid transmissive plastic liner. This liner
    will clog a laser printer fixing unit sooner or later,
    maybe destroy the printer at the same time.

    > So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    > for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL?

    Most good offset image printing papers will do a
    good job on that. For Europe, Zanders fine papers,
    Neusiedler or Schneidersoehne would definitely be
    excellent sources, but I have no links for the US.

    However, I would recommend anybody musing the thought
    of buying this printer as well to better buy the
    2350N version, including Postscript level 3 and network
    interface. It makes a huge difference, well worth the
    extra bucks.

    --
    Michael Quack <>

    http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
    http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm

    Michael Quack, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    "Michael Quack" <> wrote in message
    > In article <6ipJb.53192$>,
    > Z Man says...
    >
    > > A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up
    > > photo paper only for inkjets.

    > Right.
    >
    > > Some boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it
    > > with laser printers because of the higher laser
    > > temperatures.

    > That's not exactly the reason. Glossy or other "photo"
    > papers for high resolution inkjet prints have a coating
    > made from a fluid transmissive plastic liner. This liner
    > will clog a laser printer fixing unit sooner or later,
    > maybe destroy the printer at the same time.
    >
    > > So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    > > for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL?

    > Most good offset image printing papers will do a
    > good job on that. For Europe, Zanders fine papers,
    > Neusiedler or Schneidersoehne would definitely be
    > excellent sources, but I have no links for the US.
    >
    > However, I would recommend anybody musing the thought
    > of buying this printer as well to better buy the
    > 2350N version, including Postscript level 3 and network
    > interface. It makes a huge difference, well worth the
    > extra bucks.

    The DL has a network interface. That's one of the reasons I bought it. It
    also has parallel and USB, but I have used only the network interface.

    With respect to my original question about photo paper for laser printers,
    perhaps someone else can assist, as I am located in the US.

    Z Man, Jan 3, 2004
  4. In article <ZNqJb.43$>,
    Z Man says...

    > > > So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    > > > for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL?

    > > However, I would recommend anybody musing the thought
    > > of buying this printer as well to better buy the
    > > 2350N version, including Postscript level 3 and network
    > > interface. It makes a huge difference, well worth the
    > > extra bucks.

    > The DL has a network interface.

    Okay, just checked the Minolat QMS website, and there
    is indeed a GDI version with network interface.

    Still I have to renew my recommendation regarding the
    2350 model. The Postscript capabilities in conjunction
    with the 4 bit color mode make a huge difference.

    Michael Quack, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Z Man

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> found these
    unused words floating about:

    >A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    >boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    >the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    >for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    >4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks

    If you live in/near a large city, visit a specialty paper house. They'll be
    able to offer you sheet samples to run through your printer and settle on
    one that you like. You can then trim the printing toner balances to produce
    consistent results.

    My personal choices are Hammermill Color Copy and Burlington Hi-Brite.

    HP does make a 'photo' type for the laser, but ...

    Remember that the toner or ink (for an inkjunk) is ON the surface, whereas
    the gloss on a photgraphic print is created by a combination of PhotoFlo and
    the dryer's heated metal surface.

    If you want glossy laser prints, use an art store type clear gloss spray
    over the print.

    J. A. Mc., Jan 3, 2004
  6. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:

    >A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    >boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    >the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    >for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    >4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks

    IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    the better ink-jets.

    From what I know of laser printing technology, any good bright white
    paper is going to give good results,
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Z Man

    mcgyverjones Guest

    "J. A. Mc." <> wrote in message
    snip
    > Remember that the toner or ink (for an inkjunk) is ON the surface, whereas
    > the gloss on a photgraphic print is created by a combination of PhotoFlo

    and
    > the dryer's heated metal surface.

    Not quite, unless your talking about fibre-based prints. RC papers dry in
    the air, PhotoFlo simply allows the rinse water to flow off the surface
    instead of drying in droplets.
    Sound like we are comparing oldstyle B&W darkroom work with digital
    printing.

    MJ

    mcgyverjones, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >
    > >A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets.

    Some
    > >boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because

    of
    > >the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is

    recommended
    > >for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    > >4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks
    > >

    > IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    > seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    > the better ink-jets.

    Sure, I understand that that's the way most folks in this newsgroup feel,
    but I have only a laser printer and do only occasional photos. So, I way as
    well have them look as good as they are going to look given the limitations
    of my equipment. When I want better prints, I upload to one of the online
    services and wait a few days.

    Z Man, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:46:44 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:

    >"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets.

    >Some
    >> >boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because

    >of
    >> >the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is

    >recommended
    >> >for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    >> >4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks
    >> >

    >> IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    >> seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    >> the better ink-jets.

    >Sure, I understand that that's the way most folks in this newsgroup feel,
    >but I have only a laser printer and do only occasional photos. So, I way as
    >well have them look as good as they are going to look given the limitations
    >of my equipment. When I want better prints, I upload to one of the online
    >services and wait a few days.

    Get an ink jet too---they're cheap.
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Z Man

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >
    >>A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    >>boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    >>the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    >>for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    >>4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks
    >>

    >IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    >seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    >the better ink-jets.

    Where did you see 'continuous tone' printing from an inkjunk?

    HITN: it's also a dot based technology. Seen a print from a properly set up,
    recent 1200 dpi micro dot laser ?

    >From what I know of laser printing technology, any good bright white
    >paper is going to give good results,

    Wrong again!

    Many papers are a coated stock even for lasers. The claim to be 'white' but
    alter the imaging colour balance.

    IF you want good photo print from ANY printer you should balance the printed
    against the chosen stock.

    J. A. Mc., Jan 3, 2004
  11. Z Man

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 13:37:46 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:46:44 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message

    >>Some

    >>of

    >>recommended
    >>> >
    >>> IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    >>> seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    >>> the better ink-jets.

    >>Sure, I understand that that's the way most folks in this newsgroup feel,
    >>but I have only a laser printer and do only occasional photos. So, I way as
    >>well have them look as good as they are going to look given the limitations
    >>of my equipment. When I want better prints, I upload to one of the online
    >>services and wait a few days.
    >>

    >Get an ink jet too---they're cheap.

    Only the printer ... the supplies are a rip-off based on a per print cost!

    J. A. Mc., Jan 3, 2004
  12. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    >>Get an ink jet too---they're cheap.

    >Only the printer ... the supplies are a rip-off based on a per print cost!
    >
    >>**************************
    >>Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    >>Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    If you refill your cartridges or use a CIS, then ink jet can be very
    affordable.

    That aside, ink jet is the only really good solution for home photo
    printing
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:46:01 -0800, J. A. Mc. <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    >found these unused words floating about:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    >>>boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    >>>the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    >>>for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    >>>4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks
    >>>

    >>IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    >>seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    >>the better ink-jets.

    >Where did you see 'continuous tone' printing from an inkjunk?

    That's inkJET

    Right here in front of me--I have prints that most people would never
    know were ink jet. With a 6-color or better printer you get the
    equivalent of continuous tone. I can see artifacts and imperfections,
    but lack of continuous tone is not one of them

    >HITN: it's also a dot based technology. Seen a print from a properly set up,
    >recent 1200 dpi micro dot laser ?

    No---I simply said I have never seen laser output that matches ink
    jet. Obviously, I may have missed something

    >>From what I know of laser printing technology, any good bright white
    >>paper is going to give good results,

    >Wrong again!
    >
    >Many papers are a coated stock even for lasers. The claim to be 'white' but
    >alter the imaging colour balance.

    OK

    >IF you want good photo print from ANY printer you should balance the printed
    >against the chosen stock.

    Agree

    Mark Herring, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Z Man

    HANSTEIS Guest

    >If you refill your cartridges or use a CIS, then ink jet can be very
    >affordable.

    Pardon my ignorance--what is a CIS?

    (John Stanley)
    Oh, threats of hell and hopes of Paradise--
    One thing at least is certain: This life flies.
    One thing is certain, and the rest is lies:
    The rose that once has blown forever dies.

    HANSTEIS, Jan 4, 2004
  15. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    On 04 Jan 2004 00:57:07 GMT, (HANSTEIS) wrote:

    >>If you refill your cartridges or use a CIS, then ink jet can be very
    >>affordable.

    >Pardon my ignorance--what is a CIS?
    >
    > (John Stanley)
    >Oh, threats of hell and hopes of Paradise--
    >One thing at least is certain: This life flies.
    >One thing is certain, and the rest is lies:
    >The rose that once has blown forever dies.

    Sorry: Continuous Inking System....AKA CFS = Continuous Feed System.

    Ink in bottles--no more chanihng cartridges.
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Jan 4, 2004
  16. Z Man

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:06:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:46:01 -0800, J. A. Mc. <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    >>found these unused words floating about:

    >>>IMHO, "photo" and "laser printer" do not go together. I have never
    >>>seen continuous tone prints form a laser that could come even close to
    >>>the better ink-jets.

    >>Where did you see 'continuous tone' printing from an inkjunk?

    >That's inkJET

    Nope, it's inkJUNK! <G>

    >Right here in front of me--I have prints that most people would never
    >know were ink jet. With a 6-color or better printer you get the
    >equivalent of continuous tone. I can see artifacts and imperfections,
    >but lack of continuous tone is not one of them

    Try looking again ... it's NOT continuous tone ... it's DOTS! Not to mention
    lots and lots of 'imperfections'.

    InkJUNK because usually only one of three prints is truly acceptable.

    >>HITN: it's also a dot based technology. Seen a print from a properly set up,
    >>recent 1200 dpi micro dot laser ?

    >No---I simply said I have never seen laser output that matches ink
    >jet. Obviously, I may have missed something

    Yep!

    J. A. Mc., Jan 4, 2004
  17. Z Man

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:42:58 -0800, J. A. Mc. <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:06:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    >found these unused words floating about:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:46:01 -0800, J. A. Mc. <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    >>>found these unused words floating about:

    >>>Where did you see 'continuous tone' printing from an inkjunk?

    >>That's inkJET

    >Nope, it's inkJUNK! <G>
    >
    >>Right here in front of me--I have prints that most people would never
    >>know were ink jet. With a 6-color or better printer you get the
    >>equivalent of continuous tone. I can see artifacts and imperfections,
    >>but lack of continuous tone is not one of them

    >Try looking again ... it's NOT continuous tone ... it's DOTS! Not to mention
    >lots and lots of 'imperfections'.

    To each his own............

    I cannot see the dots in my prints. Send your address andI'll send a
    sample.

    Is it possible you are talking about 4-color printers??
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Jan 4, 2004
  18. Z Man

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:55:48 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:42:58 -0800, J. A. Mc. <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:06:19 -0800, Mark Herring <>
    >>found these unused words floating about:

    >>>That's inkJET

    >>Nope, it's inkJUNK! <G>
    >>
    >>>Right here in front of me--I have prints that most people would never
    >>>know were ink jet. With a 6-color or better printer you get the
    >>>equivalent of continuous tone. I can see artifacts and imperfections,
    >>>but lack of continuous tone is not one of them

    >>Try looking again ... it's NOT continuous tone ... it's DOTS! Not to mention
    >>lots and lots of 'imperfections'.

    >To each his own............
    >
    >I cannot see the dots in my prints. Send your address andI'll send a
    >sample.
    >
    >Is it possible you are talking about 4-color printers??

    Nope ... just use a 7x linen tester on the 'sample' prints at any store ...

    The dpi's are just getting higher (for both types) and so they blend better,
    but they're still an 'eye trick' of dots.

    Perhaps some day someone will figure out how to nozzle mix the inks and
    'spray' on as one 'drop'. Then that will give 'continuous toning'.

    J. A. Mc., Jan 4, 2004
  19. Z Man

    Will F. Guest

    "Z Man" <> wrote in message news:<6ipJb.53192$>...
    > A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    > boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    > the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    > for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    > 4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks

    Hi,

    There are photo papers for laser printers, but you might check with
    Minolta to see what they have to say. This is a bit iffy if Minolta
    sells it's own brand of photo paper...they would probably reccomend
    their own. Paper manufacturers should also be able to tell you which
    papers are suitable for the Minolta Magicolor 2300DL.

    Here's a link to an online vendor who sells, among other things,
    glossy and photo paper for laser printers. I am not reccomending this
    vendor as I don't know any about them, but it would be a place to
    start to see what is available.

    http://www.paper2u.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=GP_Futura

    When I was looking for paper, I called my local paper dealer to ask
    about what they had (e.g. photo paper for color laser printers) and if
    they could send me a sample. You can also go to the various paper
    manufacturer websites (e.g. International Paper, Boise Cascade,
    Hammermill, etc.) to learn more about their products and sometimes
    request samples.

    Hope that helps.

    Will

    Will F., Jan 5, 2004
  20. Z Man

    KewlKiwi Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:55:14 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    > A visit to Staples and CompUSA turned up photo paper only for inkjets. Some
    > boxes of inkjet paper warned against using it with laser printers because of
    > the higher laser temperatures. So, what type of photo paper is recommended
    > for printing on my Minolta Magicolor 2300DL? I would like to print some
    > 4x6's, 5x7's and 8x10's. Thanks

    I have the same printer, same model, and the same request.
    Contacted our local Fuji Xerox and a rep came out with a dozen sample sheets for me to try...

    ...Still have 10 of them! First problem was that although the paper was indeed glossy, the toner isn't, and the result looked rather blotchy:
    glossy where there was any white, and coloured areas a dull, flat finish.

    Second problem was that the toner doesn't 'stick' - it can be rubbed off just by firm pressure of your thumb.

    Second problem is ok if they will be framed under glass (I guess) but problem #1 negates the whole point of using glossy paper (unless your
    photo is of a white cat in an all-white room and is grossly over-exposed!)

    My conclusion was that to get a glossy finish, use tranparancies (3M make one or more specifically for colour lasers) and print it 'reversed'
    then just flip over and back it up with a sheet of white paper.

    If you check the Minolta/QMS site and drill down, you'll find just one type of gloss paper and one type of transparancy listed for this model.

    Bob
    (Neither of which I can buy in New Zealand)

    KewlKiwi, Jan 6, 2004