    What is the best way to shoot a number of photos for future joining anyway -
    I presume I should fix the aperature and shutter speed, to match the
    lighting - anything else?
    Gareth Tuckwell, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos
    > together. I have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up when I
    > try to merge them into a larger blank image. Do I need to apply some
    > kind of distortion to the images first?

    Look for (free) PanoTools software, with the PTGui (shareware) front-end.
    There is an AUtoPano add-in which will select control points for you.
    This software has a learning curve, but the results are well worth it.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Gareth Tuckwell

    Petr Guest

    If you have photoshop, it has a panorama merge option.

    Petr, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Gareth Tuckwell

    Pepe Guest

    You can use any software like the Free GIMP
    for instance. Make sure to use a tripod when
    you take the pictures and make sure to hold
    the same level i Z. (hight) then it's eazy work.

    Pepe
    Pepe, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Gareth Tuckwell

    Jeff Guest

    I have never tried, but it seems that you would only want to fix the
    aperature to preserve the same depth of field. As for exposure time, would
    you not want to leave that variable in case the available light changed due
    to cloud movement?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 11, 2004
  6. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:12:36 GMT, "Petr" <> wrote:

    >If you have photoshop, it has a panorama merge option.

    As does Photoshop Elements and it'll merge a montage. It doesn't care
    if they are right, left, up, or down, it'll find a place for them.
    *Usually* it's in the correct place. <:))

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Gareth Tuckwell

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I have never tried, but it seems that you would only want to fix the
    > aperature to preserve the same depth of field. As for exposure time, would
    > you not want to leave that variable in case the available light changed due
    > to cloud movement?
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi Jeff...

    Nope, you want *everything* fixed... aperture, shutter,
    focus... otherwise the pictures won't match at the
    join :)

    If the light changes too much during the shots, then
    start over again :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Aug 12, 2004
  8. Gareth Tuckwell

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Ken Weitzel

    >Nope, you want *everything* fixed... aperture, shutter,
    >focus... otherwise the pictures won't match at the
    >join :)

    It also helps if you can use a custom White Balance setting for every pic.
    Annika1980, Aug 12, 2004
  9. "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> writes:
    > What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos
    > together.

    If you use Photoshop CS, it has a built-in panorama stitcher
    (File->Automate->Photomerge), but there is also a lot of free tools
    around - Panorama Tools is a very good one. It is hard to use,
    but do a great job if you learn to use it right.

    > I have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up when I try to
    > merge them into a larger blank image. Do I need to apply some kind
    > of distortion to the images first?
    >
    > What is the best way to shoot a number of photos for future joining
    > anyway - I presume I should fix the aperature and shutter speed, to
    > match the lighting - anything else?

    Make sure you keep the camera level (use a bubble level) and leave at
    least 30% overlap between frames. For panoramas where there are
    objects close to the camera in the scene, you need to rotate your
    camera around its nodal point (with some practice, one can learn how
    to do do this reasonably well handheld).

    Some digicams (e.g. Canon G5) have a "Panorama Mode" which
    automatically fixes exposure and white balance at the first
    image to match lighting - and show a 30% overlap on the LCD
    to help you line up the subsequent frames.

    If you are serious about making panoramas, and in particular: If you
    want do do complex panoramas with close objects as well as far, you
    might consider buying a "panoramic head", which is a contraption that
    you put on top of a tripod which /forces/ the camera to rotate around
    the nodal point. The downside is that this adds bulk and may be
    expensive - in particular if you want to do create so-called
    "spherical" panoramas (see for example the Manfrotto page - link
    below) for an explanation of the difference between "spherical" and
    "cylindrical" stitching.

    Below is some links about panoramic heads:

    Links to product sheets:
    http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm
    http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=1
    http://www.kaidan.com/products/QPIII.html
    http://www.manfrotto.com/303SPH/index.php
    http://www.panoramabrackets.com/
    http://www.peaceriverstudios.com/
    http://www.stereoscopy.com/jasper/panorama.html
    Reviews:
    http://www.tawbaware.com/panosaurus_review.htm
    http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/ptx/2004-April/001556.html
    http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/vrheadreview1103.html
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 12, 2004
  10. Ken Weitzel wrote:
    []
    > Nope, you want *everything* fixed... aperture, shutter,
    > focus... otherwise the pictures won't match at the
    > join :)
    >
    > If the light changes too much during the shots, then
    > start over again :)
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Well, in theory you are correct, but in practice with software like
    PanoTools you can get excellent results without a tripod just by rotating
    the camera with your body, and using the available exposure. I'm talking
    about making a 90 degree or 120 degree shot from two - five wide angle
    shots, not a 360 degree pano.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 12, 2004
  11. David J Taylor wrote:

    > Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    >
    >>What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos
    >>together. I have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up when I
    >>try to merge them into a larger blank image. Do I need to apply some
    >>kind of distortion to the images first?

    > Look for (free) PanoTools software, with the PTGui (shareware) front-end.
    > There is an AUtoPano add-in which will select control points for you.
    > This software has a learning curve, but the results are well worth it.

    I agree absolutely, except that I use PTAssembler instead of PTGui. Both
    have their stronger and weaker areas, but using any of them together
    with autopano and enblend you can get extremely good results with
    relatively little work.

    Substituting Hugin lets you do the same with nothing but freeware.

    Terje

    --
    - <>
    Terje Mathisen, Aug 12, 2004
  12. Gareth Tuckwell

    Rob Graham Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message

    > Jeff wrote:
    > > I have never tried, but it seems that you would only want to fix the
    > > aperature to preserve the same depth of field. As for exposure time,

    would
    > > you not want to leave that variable in case the available light changed

    due
    > > to cloud movement?
    > >
    > > Jeff

    > > (snip)

    A penny worth from a digital novice ! I recently got a Canon A80 which has
    a 'stitch' together option and appropriate program ('Stitch' or something
    similar) in the software bundle. The results are simple to achieve and
    impressive ... but they do depend on how the photos are taken and there
    are traps to look out for which I'm sure those who have done this before
    have all met.

    If the panorama is taken handheld, watch your baseline and keep it the same
    through all the frames otherwise you will have to trim a lot off the top and
    bottom - you can patch missing bits of sky but the ground is much more
    difficult. More frames may be used but more options may occur if you use
    the camera vertically.
    Watch out for nearby objects as their perspective will change in each
    frame - I've had to trim out a wall which developed an excellent curve as it
    got closer.
    Watch your horizon and make sure it's horizontal.
    And if there is something tall, work out the reference points from that
    first - my first attempt was the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the associated
    buildings, and I had to change the angle of the camera to get all the Tower
    in after I'd taken the other 3 shots - dodging that will be first exercise
    on PS !!

    As for exposure, etc. I just used Auto !! As far as I'm concerned,
    panoramas are landscapes or buildings and the lighting is going to remain
    pretty constant throughout and it is possible that the stitching together
    software does some balancing anyway.

    Rob
    Rob Graham, Aug 12, 2004
  13. Gareth Tuckwell

    wald Guest

    Terje Mathisen <> wrote:

    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    >>
    >>>What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos
    >>>together. I have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up
    >>>when I try to merge them into a larger blank image. Do I need
    >>>to apply some kind of distortion to the images first?

    >> Look for (free) PanoTools software, with the PTGui (shareware)
    >> front-end. There is an AUtoPano add-in which will select
    >> control points for you. This software has a learning curve, but
    >> the results are well worth it.

    > I agree absolutely, except that I use PTAssembler instead of
    > PTGui. Both have their stronger and weaker areas, but using any
    > of them together with autopano and enblend you can get extremely
    > good results with relatively little work.
    >
    > Substituting Hugin lets you do the same with nothing but
    > freeware.

    Hugin rocks! Only remark is that it still in its early
    development: save frequently, expect the program to crash from
    time to time. But it definitely does a great job.

    Wald
    wald, Aug 12, 2004
  14. Gareth Tuckwell

    Darran West Guest

    > What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos together.
    > have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up when I try to merge them
    > into a larger blank image. Do I need to apply some kind of distortion to
    > the
    > images first?
    >
    > What is the best way to shoot a number of photos for future joining
    > anyway -
    > I presume I should fix the aperature and shutter speed, to match the
    > lighting - anything else?

    You could give Panorama Factory a try (http://www.panoramafactory.com/).
    There are detailed instructions about how to use the software and the demo
    works for 30 days.
    Darran West, Aug 12, 2004
  15. "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What software can I use (and how) can I join a number of photos together.
    > I have them on the PC, but the edges don't line up when I try to merge them
    > into a larger blank image. Do I need to apply some kind of distortion to
    > the images first?

    I'm impressed with the photo-stitching feature of Roxio Easy Media Creator 7,
    an all-in-one multimedia (photos, video, CD burning) package (you can get the
    photo software separately as PhotoSuite 7, though for the little additional
    money it's worth it to get the full package). I get better results with that
    than with several other packages I've tried.

    The photos get "warped" prior to stitching to compensate for the lens focal
    length - just manually stitching photos together won't match up well.

    Bill
    --
    @@@@@@@ If my laptop battery is almost empty,
    * @@@ * shouldn't my laptop be lighter?