Photo of Beach of Lima

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mmyvusenet, Dec 20, 2010.

  1. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    mmyvusenet, Dec 20, 2010

  2. mmyvusenet

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Dec 19, 9:19 pm, "mmyvusenet" <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > The pleasant sunshine is ever increasing in Lima, and I took the opportunity
    > to take this photo of this beach in Lima:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5272644188/
    >
    > And with the desire to amplify the photo, I recorded this short video from
    > another part of the beach:

    That shot just tells me that you are at a beach.

    Establishing shots are useless unless followed-up on.

    You need to focus on stuff.

    Get closer.

    Nervous Nick, Dec 21, 2010

  3. mmyvusenet

    peter Guest

    On 12/20/2010 10:57 PM, Nervous Nick wrote:
    > On Dec 19, 9:19 pm, "mmyvusenet"<> wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> The pleasant sunshine is ever increasing in Lima, and I took the opportunity
    >> to take this photo of this beach in Lima:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5272644188/
    >>
    >> And with the desire to amplify the photo, I recorded this short video from
    >> another part of the beach:

    > That shot just tells me that you are at a beach.
    >
    > Establishing shots are useless unless followed-up on.
    >
    > You need to focus on stuff.
    >
    > Get closer.

    Yup! Just look at Martin's work at:
    http://www.fullexpo.com/

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 21, 2010
  4. In article <4d10a51d$0$5503$-secrets.com>,
    peter <> wrote:

    > > That shot just tells me that you are at a beach.
    > >
    > > Establishing shots are useless unless followed-up on.
    > >
    > > You need to focus on stuff.
    > >
    > > Get closer.
    > >

    > Yup! Just look at Martin's work at:
    > http://www.fullexpo.com/

    Peter-

    I appreciate Martin's work, but it is in a different class of
    photography. I assume each photo was created starting with an idea,
    having the model pose a certain way and making the photograph to match
    the idea. In other words, those photos are interesting and artistic but
    TOO close!

    MMYV's challenge is to photograph scenes of Lima in such a way that
    captures the essence of a beach scene with bathers or a street scene of
    dancers, in an interesting artistic manor.

    The beach scene shows some motion in the water. The bathers are just
    people, but the background may be unique. It is certainly different
    from Florida beaches, and is interesting from that point of view.

    But you are right - it is just a beach scene. How could it have been
    made more interesting without losing its identity?

    Going back to the previous "Event in the Main Square", a similar
    criticism applies. It is just a picture of costumed people parading in
    the street. The background looks like many other clean, modern streets.

    What are the costumed people doing, just walking? If they are doing a
    dance routine, how about a view of one in a position that shows motion.
    Close enough to see the expression on the face, but far enough back to
    see what is going on.

    How about a closer view of the photographer on the right, that also
    shows a nearby dancer being photographed?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 22, 2010
  5. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    noticias:...

    peter <> wrote:

    >> > That shot just tells me that you are at a beach.
    >> >
    >> > Establishing shots are useless unless followed-up on.
    >> >
    >> > You need to focus on stuff.
    >> >
    >> > Get closer.
    >> >

    >> Yup! Just look at Martin's work at:
    >> http://www.fullexpo.com/

    > Peter-
    >
    > I appreciate Martin's work, but it is in a different class of
    > photography. I assume each photo was created starting with an idea,
    > having the model pose a certain way and making the photograph to match
    > the idea. In other words, those photos are interesting and artistic but
    > TOO close!
    >
    > MMYV's challenge is to photograph scenes of Lima in such a way that
    > captures the essence of a beach scene with bathers or a street scene of
    > dancers, in an interesting artistic manor.
    >
    > The beach scene shows some motion in the water. The bathers are just
    > people, but the background may be unique. It is certainly different
    > from Florida beaches, and is interesting from that point of view.
    >
    > But you are right - it is just a beach scene. How could it have been
    > made more interesting without losing its identity?
    >
    > Going back to the previous "Event in the Main Square", a similar
    > criticism applies. It is just a picture of costumed people parading in
    > the street. The background looks like many other clean, modern streets.
    >
    > What are the costumed people doing, just walking? If they are doing a
    > dance routine, how about a view of one in a position that shows motion.
    > Close enough to see the expression on the face, but far enough back to
    > see what is going on.
    >
    > How about a closer view of the photographer on the right, that also
    > shows a nearby dancer being photographed?
    >
    > Fred

    Thank you all for your interesting comments.

    Fred interesting thoughts, I added another picture and now has better
    lighting:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5272644188/

    A feature of this beach is located behind a police club, and despite being
    small is quite visited, I was just passing through, but to me it seemed that
    people were in the habit of going in these times.

    --
    MMYV
    http://www.mmyv.com

    mmyvusenet, Dec 22, 2010
  6. mmyvusenet

    peter Guest

    On 12/21/2010 7:49 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article<4d10a51d$0$5503$-secrets.com>,
    > peter<> wrote:
    >
    >>> That shot just tells me that you are at a beach.
    >>>
    >>> Establishing shots are useless unless followed-up on.
    >>>
    >>> You need to focus on stuff.
    >>>
    >>> Get closer.
    >>>

    >> Yup! Just look at Martin's work at:
    >> http://www.fullexpo.com/

    > Peter-
    >
    > I appreciate Martin's work, but it is in a different class of
    > photography. I assume each photo was created starting with an idea,
    > having the model pose a certain way and making the photograph to match
    > the idea. In other words, those photos are interesting and artistic but
    > TOO close!
    >
    > MMYV's challenge is to photograph scenes of Lima in such a way that
    > captures the essence of a beach scene with bathers or a street scene of
    > dancers, in an interesting artistic manor.
    >
    > The beach scene shows some motion in the water. The bathers are just
    > people, but the background may be unique. It is certainly different
    > from Florida beaches, and is interesting from that point of view.
    >
    > But you are right - it is just a beach scene. How could it have been
    > made more interesting without losing its identity?
    >
    > Going back to the previous "Event in the Main Square", a similar
    > criticism applies. It is just a picture of costumed people parading in
    > the street. The background looks like many other clean, modern streets.
    >
    > What are the costumed people doing, just walking? If they are doing a
    > dance routine, how about a view of one in a position that shows motion.
    > Close enough to see the expression on the face, but far enough back to
    > see what is going on.
    >
    > How about a closer view of the photographer on the right, that also
    > shows a nearby dancer being photographed?

    That, of course is a matter of opinion. As I posted earlier in response
    to a Martin posting, IMHO he captures the essence of the subject. there
    are few wasted pixels there. In his cityscapes he cuts of the tops and
    bottoms of the buildings. That technique is not for everyone, but Martin
    does it well. In macro photography don't we cut of a lot of surplus and
    get to the essence.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 22, 2010