photo management software for Macs (OS X)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. JC  Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?

    A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom)
    and when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto
    automatically overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an
    important image (a test shot in a series to determine how noisy his
    camera is when shooting long exposures in low light, a test he's going
    to repeat anyway), but IMHO this is NOT desired behavior for serious
    image management software.

    He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
    concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
    needs.

    What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

    jc

    JC Dill, Mar 9, 2005

  2. JC  Dill

    Brian Guest

    Look for the menu item - "Revert to Original" - the original was not
    overwritten and you should be able to retrieve it at any time.

    I personally like iPhoto, but I'm using Windows now so I pretty much
    use photoshop for everything.

    Brian

    Brian, Mar 9, 2005

  3. JC  Dill

    adm Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Look for the menu item - "Revert to Original" - the original was not
    > overwritten and you should be able to retrieve it at any time.
    >
    > I personally like iPhoto, but I'm using Windows now so I pretty much
    > use photoshop for everything.

    It is nice for general stuff - i.e. wife/husband (insert your own sexual
    preferecne and technological bias here...) and kids using it

    However - RAW support (although now technically there) is patchy at best,
    and slow.

    For image import, slideshows etc it's OK - but not even good IMHO. Iview
    mediaPRO is OK, but expensive - and limited in certain bizarre ways.

    Photoshop is a different animal and is really an editor as opposed to an
    easy-use browser.

    I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
    but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.

    adm, Mar 9, 2005
  4. JC  Dill

    Minou Guest

    On 3/9/05 6:03 PM, in article , "adm"
    <> wrote:

    > I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
    > but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.

    I've given up on iPhoto. It's nice if you use jpeg format, but if you move
    on to RAW format, it is just too cumbersome. At this point I use Photoshop
    file browser.

    Minou, Mar 9, 2005
  5. JC  Dill

    C Wright Guest

    On 3/9/05 12:29 PM, in article
    , "JC Dill"
    <> wrote:

    > What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
    >
    > A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom)
    > and when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto
    > automatically overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an
    > important image (a test shot in a series to determine how noisy his
    > camera is when shooting long exposures in low light, a test he's going
    > to repeat anyway), but IMHO this is NOT desired behavior for serious
    > image management software.
    >
    > He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
    > concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
    > needs.
    >
    > What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?
    >
    > jc

    I use iPhoto to put together some small albums. But for my primary file
    management I use the Photoshop CS file browser (along with the Finder).
    Your friend might also take a look a iView Media Pro.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Mar 10, 2005
  6. JC  Dill

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    "adm" <> wrote:

    > I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
    > but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally.

    Nikon View 6 has RAW support, and I don't believe you need a Nikon
    camera to use it. And it's free.

    Also, GraphicConverter is a Mac must-have.
    m-m

    M-M, Mar 10, 2005
  7. JC  Dill

    Keith Guest

    adm <> wrote:

    > I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
    > but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.

    I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
    under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!

    One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
    custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
    any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
    match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
    in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
    sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
    course.

    Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
    easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
    film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
    arranging with Smart Albums.

    I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
    delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
    myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
    reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
    painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
    this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
    authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
    painless and quick.

    It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
    as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
    editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

    My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
    have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
    Photoshop. I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
    test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
    soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
    the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
    I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

    I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
    so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
    ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
    projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!), and
    sometimes lots of trip photos printed on A3 to hang up in the house so
    we can see lots of images of our holidays at once - saves boring friends
    with paper photo albums!

    Keith, Mar 10, 2005
  8. JC  Dill

    C Wright Guest

    On 3/10/05 3:10 AM, in article 1gt79rr.vc4o8l10aw9peN%,
    "Keith" <> wrote:

    > I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
    > under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!
    >
    > One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
    > custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
    > any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
    > match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
    > in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
    > sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
    > course.
    >
    > Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
    > easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
    > film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
    > arranging with Smart Albums.
    >
    > I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
    > delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
    > myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
    > reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
    > painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
    > this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
    > authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
    > painless and quick.
    >
    > It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
    > as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
    > editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

    A couple of corrections:
    - iPhoto is not free. It *is* included with new Mac computers so in that
    sense could be considered 'free.' However if, for example, your Mac came
    with iPhoto 4 and you now want the new iPhoto 5 you have to purchase the
    whole iLife package at full retail, there is no discount of any kind for
    upgraders.

    > My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
    > have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
    > Photoshop. I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
    > test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
    > soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
    > the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
    > I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

    It is possible to double click raw files in iPhoto 5 and have them open in
    Photoshop *but* (and this is a huge but) the file is converted to a jpeg by
    iPhoto before sending it to Photoshop. This negates most all of the
    advantages of shooting raw in the first place!

    > I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
    > so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
    > ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
    > projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!), and
    > sometimes lots of trip photos printed on A3 to hang up in the house so
    > we can see lots of images of our holidays at once - saves boring friends
    > with paper photo albums!

    The above may sound like I don't like iPhoto but I actually think that it is
    a pretty good program. However, whoever thought that converting raws to
    jpegs in the process of sending them for editing should be retired from the
    iPhoto development team!
    Chuck

    C Wright, Mar 10, 2005
  9. JC  Dill

    adm Guest

    "M-M" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "adm" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
    >> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally.

    > Nikon View 6 has RAW support, and I don't believe you need a Nikon
    > camera to use it. And it's free.

    I know. I have it already. And PSCS.

    > Also, GraphicConverter is a Mac must-have.

    Got it too !

    I'm just dissapointed in iPhoto becuase my wife and kids use it a lot and I
    would have liked them to be able to easily play with my RAW files as well as
    thier jpgs.

    adm, Mar 10, 2005
  10. JC  Dill

    adm Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > adm <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair
    >> shot,
    >> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it
    >> soon.

    > I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
    > under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!

    That's what I have been trying to do. My wife and kids use it and I wanted
    to use it as a generic browser/viewer.

    > One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
    > custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
    > any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
    > match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
    > in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
    > sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
    > course.
    >
    > Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
    > easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
    > film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
    > arranging with Smart Albums.

    I have the "film roll" concept. I want to be able to create specific
    directories for different reasons.

    To be honest, I have been playing with Picase 2 on the PC, and it does
    everything I want a browser to do.....iPhoto on thr Mac just sin't as good.

    Pity there's not a Mac OS X version of Picase or iPhotow would be in the
    bin.

    > I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
    > delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
    > myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
    > reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
    > painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
    > this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
    > authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
    > painless and quick.
    >
    > It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
    > as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
    > editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

    It's not free ! I had to buy a $3000 Mac.....

    And the upgrade to iLife 5 wasn't free either...

    Picasa was though !

    > My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
    > have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
    > Photoshop.

    Me too - with Picasa on the PC, and iPhoto (slowly) on the Mac.

    > I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
    > test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
    > soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
    > the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
    > I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

    Me neither. iPhoto is SLOW with RAW files though if you want to browse large
    sized images.

    > I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
    > so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
    > ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
    > projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!),

    Same here. Don't get me worng - I like iPhoto, but this first version with
    RAW support is slow. Maybe it will improve.

    One wierd thing with iPhoto though - I can't seem to make it do slideshows
    in random order.

    adm, Mar 10, 2005
  11. JC  Dill

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    JC Dill <> wrote:

    > What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
    >
    > A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom) and
    > when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto automatically
    > overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an important image (a
    > test shot in a series to determine how noisy his camera is when shooting
    > long exposures in low light, a test he's going to repeat anyway), but IMHO
    > this is NOT desired behavior for serious image management software.

    iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
    That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo you
    even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
    your hard drive.

    > He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
    > concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
    > needs.
    >
    > What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

    iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
    IPTC, among other things.

    GraphicConverter deserves mention, too.

    There are also a few bare-bones shareware/freeware image browsers out
    there, such as uAlbum. Search on versiontracker.com.

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 10, 2005
  12. JC  Dill

    M-M Guest

    > > What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

    I use Graphic Converter for slideshows and Photoshop Elements for
    editing. To organize I have 2 folders on my desktop: "Photos" and
    "Sorted Photos."

    I d/l from the camera to the empty "Photos" folder, then make an
    appropriately titled subfolder describing the contents and move it to
    the "Sorted Photos" folder.

    That's all the organizing I need. Easy to look up. When the "Sorted"
    folder gets over 650MB, I burn it to CD and catalog the contents.

    m-m

    M-M, Mar 10, 2005
  13. JC  Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:

    >iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
    >That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo

    you
    >even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
    >your hard drive.

    That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
    purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in
    iPhoto when using another program.

    >> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should

    consider?

    >iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage
    >EXIF and IPTC, among other things.

    Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does
    it utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file
    itself so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for
    instance when making slideshows or webpages)?

    Thanks!

    jc

    JC Dill, Mar 11, 2005
  14. JC  Dill

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    JC Dill <> wrote:

    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    >
    > >iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
    > >That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo
    > >you even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
    > >your hard drive.

    > That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
    > purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in iPhoto
    > when using another program.

    The reason for it is that iPhoto keeps a backup of the original file
    that came from the camera. This way you can revert the file back to the
    untouched original, if you want to.

    There are a few utilities out there to cull the unused files and recover
    disk space, if you know you're not going to need them.

    As far as finding 'the image,' that's pretty easy. You just tell iPhoto
    to show it to you in the Finder.

    > >> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

    > >iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
    > >IPTC, among other things.

    > Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does it
    > utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file itself
    > so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for instance when
    > making slideshows or webpages)?

    Media Pro uses the metahor of catalogues. So you add media files to
    catalogues, and the catalogue itself is a database of all the metadata
    about the files in it. The media files themselves stay on your hard
    drive, and don't end up in the database; Media Pro just deals with the
    metadata.

    So you can enter EXIF and IPTC data into the database, and search and
    sort on it. You can also optionally embed the metadata into the files
    themselves as a separate step.

    There's a free trial version you might consider looking at. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 11, 2005