    expertise of Minolta's support folks.)

    Thanks!
    pat

    pat barbour, Oct 9, 2003

  2. pat barbour

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 9-Oct-2003, "pat barbour" <> wrote:

    > I'm finding that I can't make a file smaller than 55K w/ my new Minolta
    > Dimage Xt! If I take a picture (any resolution or 'quality') and bring it
    > into Photoshop (or other graphics apps) and crop it so that it's a tiny 1
    > pixel x 1 pixel, I still get a 55K file size. If I do this w/ my old
    > Dimage
    > X, I get a 9K file.
    >
    > Furthermore, a 400 x 300 pixel image comes out at about 85K (old Dimage X,
    > about 30K for this size). Needless to say, this makes the camera just
    > about
    > useless for web or emal photos. Any ideas? Is it a problem w/ the way the
    > camera is writing the jpeg files? (This problem seemed to be beyond the
    > expertise of Minolta's support folks.)

    When you save in Photoshop be sure you are not saving the preview and the
    color profile, the color profile probably accounts for the extra file size.
    It has nothing to do with your camera.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Oct 9, 2003

  3. "pat barbour" <> wrote in message
    > I'm finding that I can't make a file smaller than 55K w/ my new Minolta
    > Dimage Xt! If I take a picture (any resolution or 'quality') and bring it
    > into Photoshop (or other graphics apps) and crop it so that it's a tiny 1
    > pixel x 1 pixel, I still get a 55K file size. If I do this w/ my old

    Dimage
    > X, I get a 9K file.
    >
    > Furthermore, a 400 x 300 pixel image comes out at about 85K (old Dimage X,
    > about 30K for this size). Needless to say, this makes the camera just

    about
    > useless for web or emal photos. Any ideas? Is it a problem w/ the way the
    > camera is writing the jpeg files? (This problem seemed to be beyond the
    > expertise of Minolta's support folks.)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > pat

    Try "Save for Web" option under the File menu. This will create .jpgs with
    very little overhead, and also allow you to preview multiple compression
    levels side by side.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Oct 9, 2003
  4. pat barbour

    pat barbour Guest

    You saved my bacon! Photoshop's "Save for Web" works great - nice small file
    sizes. This still doesn't explain why I can shrink my old Dimage X pix down
    to 30K but when I turn around and do the exact same steps w/ the new Dimage
    Xt pix I get 85K, but at least I have a work-around now. (Indeed, Save for
    Web gets the files sizes down even further than the old standard, 30K. -)
    Thanks all for the suggestions. --pat

    pat barbour, Oct 10, 2003