    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, compact photo scanner, photo feeder, sheet
    feeder, automation, home, archives, image processing
    , Sep 5, 2005

  2. Bill Funk Guest

    On 5 Sep 2005 11:17:01 -0700, wrote:

    >I'm looking for a device I've not seen yet, but I'm sure is available
    >somewhere (or somewhen soon!).
    >
    >I want a compact USB 2.0/firewire optimized photo scanner with a
    >'feeder' for prints up to size 4x6". I want to put a stack of 60 into
    >the feeder, calibrate for a representative image, set scan to produce
    >jpgs of about 4 MB, then come back two hours later.
    >
    >I'd pay up to $300 for such a device. Ok, maybe more.
    >
    >Anyone know of one?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >john

    There's this:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=430436
    Of course, it's only 24 sheets, and you have to already have the HP
    scanner.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks! Fujitsu has a good entry level document scanner on the market.
    I try to avoid HP document scanners; I had a bad experience with an HP
    sheet feeder years ago (turns out my scanner was a shredder too!) and
    have been phobic ever since.

    I'm not looking for a document scanner though, they are typically quite
    poor at image scanning. In any case their sheet feeders will generally
    choke on a print. Too thick.

    The device I'm looking for is designed to scan prints, not documents,
    and its sheet feeder is optimized for prints. Also, it needs to be very
    compact, I don't have much room.
    , Sep 5, 2005
  4. Bill Funk Guest

    On 5 Sep 2005 15:59:11 -0700, wrote:

    >Thanks! Fujitsu has a good entry level document scanner on the market.
    >I try to avoid HP document scanners; I had a bad experience with an HP
    >sheet feeder years ago (turns out my scanner was a shredder too!) and
    >have been phobic ever since.
    >
    >I'm not looking for a document scanner though, they are typically quite
    >poor at image scanning. In any case their sheet feeders will generally
    >choke on a print. Too thick.
    >
    >The device I'm looking for is designed to scan prints, not documents,
    >and its sheet feeder is optimized for prints. Also, it needs to be very
    >compact, I don't have much room.

    Sorry, I can't help.
    Maybe someone else..

    Bill Funk, Sep 6, 2005
  5. >The device I'm looking for is designed to scan prints, not documents,
    >and its sheet feeder is optimized for prints. Also, it needs to be very
    >compact, I don't have much room.

    I've been looking for something like this for years, and still haven't
    found it. I have perhaps 10,000 4x6 photos that I want to scan. I
    want to drop a pile of photos in a machine, and come back later to
    find scans nicely stored on my computer.

    I don't think anyone makes such a device.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Mike Berger Guest

    For your price range, you're probably better off outsourcing.

    Mike Berger, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Chris Hulley Guest

    HP makes 'em. Here's a link
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LHLB/103-0299603-1559047?v=glance

    I think these devices have a limit of about 24 photos in the feeder, but
    that's a lot better than manually positioning them one by one ...

    ChrisH

    Chris Hulley, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Guest

    Yes, this is almost exactly right (I wanted something compact and
    dedicated), but the Amazon feedback on the sheet feeder tells me HP is
    up to their old tricks.

    The sheet feeder looks good, but it doesn't work. At such a low price
    point that's not surprising.

    Good link though, Amazon points us to Epson too:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._2/002-8441600-6444067?v=glance&s=electronics

    Unlike the HP the Epson had great reviews. However, it's also no longer
    sold!! I wonder if Epson had trouble hitting their price point with the
    sheet feeder. Instead Epson sells a similar model with a negative
    feeder.

    So now I'm puzzled. Why did Epson discontinue this product?

    john

    meta: image scanning, photo scanning, sheet feeder, automated,
    jfaughnan, jgfaughnan
    , Sep 7, 2005
  9. Chris Hulley Guest

    Ooops! Should have read the reviews .... sorry. The Epson looks good,
    though, and there appear to be some secondhands ....

    I'm thinking of experimenting with using my digicam to do this sort of
    scanning job - I'm thinking tripod, good diffused light, some sort of a jig
    to position the photos with the minimum of fuss. My imagination and budget
    are currently stalled on some way to get the photos to lie flat ... might be
    easier to pick up one of those Epsons.

    ChrisH

    Chris Hulley, Sep 8, 2005
  10. The weird thing is Epson discontinued it! It looks great and it was
    selling very well on Amazon.
    John Faughnan, Sep 8, 2005