    Does anyone have a fave and why?

    Thanks

    Simon :)
    Plebism, May 27, 2007

  2. "Plebism" <> wrote in message
    news:Eib6i.26191$...
    > Hey :D
    >
    > I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >
    > .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at doing
    > some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what software to
    > use.
    >
    > Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt seem
    > to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2 and
    > v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >
    > I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >
    > Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon :)

    It will depend on what types of editing you want to do. If all you really
    want to do is crop, resize, print, adjust color, brightness and contrast
    almost any editor will do the job, and many of them are even in the free
    category. The more you want to do with the editor the smaller the choices.

    As you have stated your question, the list of responses you are likely to
    get could be rather long. Maybe if you give us a bit more information of
    what types of editing you regularly do, and what you would like to do, the
    list of possible editors that fit your needs will be a bit more manageable.

    As to PS Elements, for most uses this is the top of many lists. I agree that
    with older computers this could be fairly slow and since there are so many
    things it can do it can be a bit confusing to use. But that is going to be
    the same for most anything that has that many options. The more functions
    any program or device has, the more controls it will take to control those
    options. But I have found that with newer computers (with higher speeds) and
    with experience that helps you to find and use the functions you need
    quickly, PSE can be a very comfortable program. IMHO.

    Of course for some of us (like me) no one program can ever be the best for
    every use, and you may find that (again like me) you will have several
    editor programs.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, May 27, 2007

  3. Plebism

    Benny Guest

    Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    myself.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    These will get you started.
    Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    Benny

    Benny, May 27, 2007
  4. Plebism

    Roy G Guest

    "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    > Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    > myself.
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    > Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    > These will get you started.
    > Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    > Benny
    >

    > "Plebism" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey :D
    >>
    >> I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >>
    >> .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at
    >> doing some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what
    >> software to use.
    >>
    >> Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt
    >> seem to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2
    >> and v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >>
    >> I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Simon :)

    Hi.

    Probably because the Free one you get with the Camera is useless, and the
    other is only a 30 day trial, and it costs more than Elements to continue
    beyond those 30 days.

    Elements is only slow if your Computer does not have sufficient RAM, or has
    a very slow processor.

    Roy G
    Roy G, May 27, 2007
  5. "Benny" <no spam > writes:

    > Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    > myself.
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    > Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    > These will get you started.
    > Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    > Benny

    If you use gimp, there is a free plug-in that handles RAW files called UFRAW
    (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net).

    There is a shareware editor called Raw Therapee that supports various RAW
    files:
    http://www.rawtherapee.com/

    There is a commercial editor that supports various RAW files:
    http://www.bibblelabs.com/

    Another shareware editor is Fastone:
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

    Other people have mentioned irfanview:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    There is Capture One that I've seen several pros mention they use:
    http://www.phaseone.com/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, May 27, 2007
  6. On May 27, 3:22 pm, Michael Meissner <>
    wrote:

    > There is Capture One that I've seen several pros mention they use:http://www.phaseone.com/

    And Capture One is available as a light (LE) version for USD 99 or
    bundled with some stuff from Sandisk - and still quite capable.

    /Martin
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=, May 27, 2007
  7. In article <Eib6i.26191$>,
    "Plebism" <> wrote:

    > Hey :D
    >
    > I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >
    > .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at doing
    > some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what software to
    > use.
    >
    > Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt seem
    > to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2 and v3)
    > but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.

    Sounds like a RAM problem.

    > I cannot afford the Photoshop packages

    Good, that uses even more RAM.

    > Does anyone have a fave and why?

    My favorite is Elements combined with at least 2000 MB of RAM.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, May 27, 2007
  8. Plebism

    DOCJohnson Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 08:28:20 GMT, "Plebism" <> wrote:

    >Hey :D
    >
    >I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >
    >.... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at doing
    >some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what software to
    >use.
    >
    >Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt seem
    >to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2 and v3)
    >but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >
    >I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >
    >Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Simon :)

    You're going to hear TOMES of last-century advice to buy into one of Adobe's
    piece of crap products from the mindless drones that don't know better and
    aren't smart enough to learn anything new. Try PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com
    for 1/10th the price and does 2X's as much, just as good if not better than
    PhotoShop CS3.
    DOCJohnson, May 27, 2007
  9. Plebism

    Steve King Guest

    Simon,

    I use 2 programs Helicon Filter, http://www.helicon.com.ua/pages/, and
    PhotoBrush, http://www.mediachance.com/pbrush/index.html. Both are quite
    capable, not expensive, and handle raw files.

    Steve . . .

    Steve King, May 27, 2007
  10. Plebism

    tomcas Guest

    Benny wrote:
    > Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    > myself.
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    > Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    > These will get you started.
    > Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    > Benny
    >

    > "Plebism" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey :D
    >>
    >>I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >>
    >>.... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at doing
    >>some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what software to
    >>use.
    >>
    >>Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt seem
    >>to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2 and
    >>v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >>
    >>I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Simon :)

    Irfanview is great for basic and batched functions but I wouldn't really
    call it a photo editor.
    tomcas, May 27, 2007
  11. Plebism

    BDW Guest

    What is the word on Nikon's new photo editing software? Nikon Capture
    NX?

    BDW, May 27, 2007
  12. BDW wrote:
    > What is the word on Nikon's new photo editing software? Nikon Capture
    > NX?

    The word I've heard is: Nix.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, May 27, 2007
  13. Plebism

    Wilba Guest

    DOCJohnson wrote:

    > Try PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com for 1/10th the price
    > and does 2X's as much, just as good if not better than
    > PhotoShop CS3.

    A couple of things ... Photoshop's Levels dialogue manipulates midtones but
    PhotoLine's Histogram Correction doesn't. How would you simply and directly
    adjust the midtones of the histogram with PhotoLine.

    I guess you could use CLUT, but since it uses predefined curves it doesn't
    seem to have the immediate flexibility of Photoshop's Levels or Curves.

    I can't find an equivalent for Photoshop's Crop Tool, allowing you to
    preview any arbitrary width, height, and rotation, just like on an enlarger.

    Apart from those quick and powerful functions that I use on every photo, it
    looks like a decent application. :)
    Wilba, May 28, 2007
  14. Plebism

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-05-27 12:52:23 -0700, BDW <> said:

    > What is the word on Nikon's new photo editing software? Nikon Capture
    > NX?

    Nikon Capture was so bad that NX was starting handicapped anyway. It
    was not that Capture was actually bad, really, but installation was
    difficult and clunky and there were lots of gotchas when upgrading to
    new versions. NX does not have these difficulties as far as I know. I
    did not like Capture, but I do like NX. NX has some powerful features
    that you don't find in a lot of other editing software. The U Point
    technology is amazing. You can isolate and adjust areas simply by
    selecting control points. And it is very fast.

    Nikon Capture NX will edit NEF, JPG, and TIFF files. It will convert
    JPG and TIFF files to NEF. It will convert an NEF file that other
    editing programs might not be able to read into a standardized NEF file
    that they will read. It has a good workflow. It has the nicest raw
    image converter that I have seen.

    People who advise against NX probably have not used it and are basing
    their opinion on Nikon Capture.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, May 28, 2007
  15. Plebism

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-05-27 01:28:20 -0700, "Plebism" <> said:

    > Hey :D
    >
    > I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >
    > .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at
    > doing some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what
    > software to use.
    >
    > Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt
    > seem to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past
    > (v2 and v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >
    > I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >
    > Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon :)

    Writers are beginning to distinguish editing software such as Nikon
    Capture NX, Irfanview, LightRoom, and Aperture from image manipulation
    software like Photoshop. Editing software organizes your pictures and
    allows correction of white balance and exposure, dust removal and other
    touchup, red-eye fixing, cropping and straightening, sharpening,
    conversion to monochrome, printing, and other such tasks. Editing
    software is all you need for 99% of your pictures.

    Image manipulation software goes farther, allowing layering, cutting
    and pasting, distortion correction, filters, etc.

    Of the editing packages I am partial to Nikon Capture NX, LightRoom,
    and Aperture. I use all three, but Aperture is my favorite. I also use
    DxO Professional, a great automated processing and editing program.

    C J Campbell, May 28, 2007
  16. Plebism

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:53:55 -0500, DOCJohnson wrote:

    > You're going to hear TOMES of last-century advice to buy into one
    > of Adobe's piece of crap products from the mindless drones that don't
    > know better and aren't smart enough to learn anything new.

    and you'll hear

    > Try PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com

    from yet another PL32 sock puppet.
    ASAAR, May 28, 2007
  17. Plebism

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >> Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    >> myself.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >> Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    >> These will get you started.
    >> Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    >> Benny
    >>

    >> "Plebism" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hey :D
    >>>
    >>> I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >>>
    >>> .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at
    >>> doing some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what
    >>> software to use.
    >>>
    >>> Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt
    >>> seem to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past (v2
    >>> and v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >>>
    >>> I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Simon :)

    > Hi.
    >
    > Probably because the Free one you get with the Camera is useless, and the
    > other is only a 30 day trial, and it costs more than Elements to continue
    > beyond those 30 days.
    >
    > Elements is only slow if your Computer does not have sufficient RAM, or has
    > a very slow processor.
    >
    > Roy G

    Elements takes a while to load (even on my 64 bit 3700+ machine), but
    once loaded is reasonably fast, even on my old laptop. Both have
    adequate ram, and with WinXP subsequent loads in a session are much faster.
    Elements is pretty powerful software, and should have a powerful
    computer to perform best.
    Ron Hunter, May 28, 2007
  18. Plebism

    Ron Hunter Guest

    tomcas wrote:
    > Benny wrote:
    >> Start with Irfanview - free and supposedly very good. Haven't tried it
    >> myself.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >> Another freeware/open soucre is Gimp www.gimp.org
    >> These will get you started.
    >> Better still why aren't you using the Nikon supplied software.
    >> Benny
    >>

    >> "Plebism" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hey :D
    >>>
    >>> I hope this is not to much of a boring question ....
    >>>
    >>> .... bur now that Im up and running with my trust D40, Im looking at
    >>> doing some photo editing and wondered if any had any prefs on what
    >>> software to use.
    >>>
    >>> Im just trialing Corel Paint Shop Pro XI which seems nice, but doesnt
    >>> seem to support my Nikon RAW files. I've used PS Elements in the past
    >>> (v2 and v3) but found it to be clunky and slooooooow.
    >>>
    >>> I cannot afford the Photoshop packages, more of low to medium budets
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a fave and why?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Simon :)

    > Irfanview is great for basic and batched functions but I wouldn't really
    > call it a photo editor.

    I wouldn't either, but it suffices for 90% of the editing I need to do.
    When it isn't up to the task, there is Elements v3.
    Ron Hunter, May 28, 2007
  19. Plebism

    DOCJohnson Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:26:21 +0800, "Wilba" <> wrote:

    >DOCJohnson wrote:
    >>
    >> Try PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com for 1/10th the price
    >> and does 2X's as much, just as good if not better than
    >> PhotoShop CS3.

    >A couple of things ... Photoshop's Levels dialogue manipulates midtones but
    >PhotoLine's Histogram Correction doesn't. How would you simply and directly
    >adjust the midtones of the histogram with PhotoLine.
    >
    >I guess you could use CLUT, but since it uses predefined curves it doesn't
    >seem to have the immediate flexibility of Photoshop's Levels or Curves.
    >
    >I can't find an equivalent for Photoshop's Crop Tool, allowing you to
    >preview any arbitrary width, height, and rotation, just like on an enlarger.
    >
    >Apart from those quick and powerful functions that I use on every photo, it
    >looks like a decent application. :)

    I suggest you go back to the drawing board and try to use PhotoLine's far more
    advanced features again. It can do all those things, easily, simply, and better.
    With just one crop tool you can correct shear, rotation, resize, change
    perspective, edge softness, and crop all with one click. IF you are smart enough
    to use it the right way.

    The CLUT tool only has predefined curves? What backwards planet did you just
    crawl out from under? Try double clicking on any of the CLUT curves for all or
    any of the color channels, see if you notice anything. (duh)

    Once you define a curve you like, drag and drop it to your CLUT palette (you
    know, all those predefined ones you think you are limited to?), you can also use
    them for defining your brush edges, shadows, special effects, ... the list is
    pretty endless on all they are used for throughout the whole program.

    It never fails, the only limitations that PL32 seems to have are those induced
    into it by idiots that try to use it but are still stuck in the PhotoShop
    dark-ages trying to do things the old ways.

    This all makes me think of the similarity to an old saying which goes, "Text is
    a mirror, if a moron peers into it you can't expect a wise man to peer back
    out." I guess the same is true when you lead morons to a better editor.
    DOCJohnson, May 28, 2007
  20. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:53:55 -0500, DOCJohnson wrote:
    >
    >> You're going to hear TOMES of last-century advice to buy into one
    >> of Adobe's piece of crap products from the mindless drones that don't
    >> know better and aren't smart enough to learn anything new.

    > and you'll hear
    >
    >> Try PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com

    > from yet another PL32 sock puppet.

    Along with a bunch of gratuitous insults to us troglodytes......

    --
    John McWilliams

    "Um, his vocabulary, like, uh, really, ah....... sucked."
    John McWilliams, May 28, 2007