    Any suggestion will be appreciated!

    Thanks

    Demon
    Demonio, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Demonio wrote:
    > Hi alls,
    > does anyone know if I can save or download a picture directly on a
    > minidrive (something like 80GB) through USB?
    > I mean, IBM MicroDrive (1GB) could be not enough for a long period
    > holiday, so I'm thinking to link a bigger minidrive to the USB port.
    > Do you think I can do such things without a PC (directly using the
    > camera)? Or the camera could be seen only as a peripheral?

    Camera is generally only seen as a peripheral so what you propose is not
    possible. There are portable hard drive based storage devices for what
    you want to do though. You take your 1GB microdrive out of your camera,
    slip it into the slot on one of these devices and transfer your pictures
    leaving your 1GB drive usable again.

    Do a search on PORTABLE IMAGE STORAGE in Google
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 24, 2003

  3. There are several options, but not the one you are thinking of. Of
    course a laptop would work. You can also find Internet Cafes where you can
    download and burn a CD.

    I generally find I don't have a memory problem (at least with my camera)
    as I tend to be rather selective and dump most of the photos I take and I
    don't take a lot of photos knowing that I would only dump them later. This
    may not work for everyone, it seems many people feel that every photo they
    take is a masterpiece and needs to be saved. Thank God we no longer have
    those slide shows of the vacation with 500 slides with at least seven of
    each subject. If they cut those shows down to about 20-50 slides people
    would think a lot more of their photography. In any case I guess my start
    with larger format equipment and small format money taught me to spend a
    little more time taking one or two good photos than a couple of dozen in
    hopes that one or two might be good.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2003
  4. (Cyrus Chvala) writes:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:34:59 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > There are several options, but not the one you are thinking of. Of
    > >course a laptop would work. You can also find Internet Cafes where you can
    > >download and burn a CD.
    > >
    > > I generally find I don't have a memory problem (at least with my camera)
    > >as I tend to be rather selective and dump most of the photos I take and I
    > >don't take a lot of photos knowing that I would only dump them later. This
    > >may not work for everyone, it seems many people feel that every photo they
    > >take is a masterpiece and needs to be saved. Thank God we no longer have
    > >those slide shows of the vacation with 500 slides with at least seven of
    > >each subject. If they cut those shows down to about 20-50 slides people
    > >would think a lot more of their photography. In any case I guess my start
    > >with larger format equipment and small format money taught me to spend a
    > >little more time taking one or two good photos than a couple of dozen in
    > >hopes that one or two might be good.

    > I would love it if they had a memory reader on a USB hard drive. Do
    > They?

    Yes they've had portable drives with card readers for 1-2 years now, and there
    are quite a few vendors. I happen to have an X-drive II that I got from
    http://www.insidecomputer.com (they sell several different brands at different
    price points and with different features). I bought mine without a hard drive,
    and put in a used 6 gig drive in it. My X-drive II has smart media, compact
    flash I/II (including microdrive), memory stick (including MS pro), MMC, and
    secure digital slots to read from (for xD media you have to use a xD -> CF
    converter). You just push a button and it creates a directory on the hard
    drive and copies the entire contents of your media to the hard drive. If you
    buy an x-drive, be sure to load the new firmware, which makes it much less
    sensitive to vibrations while the copying is done. One or more of the more
    expensive models have support so you can do a slide show on a TV.

    Another option is a portable CD burner that was just released, which allows you
    to create a CD from media without a computer near by.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Demonio

    Demonio Guest

    i agree with you about the large number of pictures often taken,
    hoping to make something good, but maybe this is even one of the pros
    of the digital!
    Anyway, I've read a post about FireWire: it said with FW you don't
    need any OS, between camera and peripheral, thanks to the peer2peer
    protocol used...
    I'm not so skilled....but i've mailed the question to the technical
    support of a manufacturer of such systems....we'll see!

    I really think the only way is to try!

    Thanks anyway
    Demon

    Demonio, Jul 25, 2003