Photo database

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith nuttle, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Keith nuttle

    Keith nuttle Guest

    I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    places the month and date in the file name.

    I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
    as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
    structure.

    Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
    free ware, that will show:

    thumbnail of the image
    keywords to identify content of the image
    location and date.

    It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
    rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
    the image files.

    It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

    Keith nuttle, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Photoshop Elements on Windows platforms meets all your criteria except cost.
    Look at the "Organizer" module.

    An earlier version is available from Adobe for free as "Photoshop Album
    Starter Edition" at
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html - I haven't looked
    at it but it might meet your needs.

    A new web-based alternative is Photoship Express
    (https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html).

    Steve Chesney, Jun 18, 2008

  3. Keith nuttle

    Matt Ion Guest

    Keith nuttle wrote:
    > I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    > currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    > places the month and date in the file name.
    >
    > I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
    > as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
    > structure.
    >
    > Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
    > free ware, that will show:
    >
    > thumbnail of the image
    > keywords to identify content of the image
    > location and date.
    >
    > It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
    > rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
    > the image files.
    >
    > It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

    Could try Picasa... it will do basic *non-destructive* editing if you
    want, allows easy uploading to Picasa Web Albums (with plugins available
    for uploading to Facebook, Flikr, etc.), and should cover your
    cataloging needs. And of course, it's free, fast, and easily removed if
    you don't like it.

    Matt Ion, Jun 18, 2008
  4. Keith nuttle

    John Guest

    Keith nuttle wrote:
    > I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    > currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    > places the month and date in the file name.
    >
    > I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
    > as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
    > structure.
    >
    > Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
    > free ware, that will show:
    >
    > thumbnail of the image
    > keywords to identify content of the image
    > location and date.
    >
    > It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
    > rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
    > the image files.
    >
    > It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

    Here's a Freeware list of viewers and editors for you all to check out:

    Photo Editing

    ArtRage - http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html
    Artweaver - http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version
    Batch Photo Resizer - http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
    CDI - http://www.2haveit.com/listdetail~id~18923~pt~CDI.html
    ColorPic - http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/
    Deep Paint - http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3000-21...tml?tag=lst-2-7
    Delineate - http://delineate.sourceforge.net/
    Digital Enhancer - http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html
    DNG Recover Edges -
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/contents/DNG-Recover-Edges.shtml
    Emco Photo Resizer - http://www.emco.is/photo_resizer/features.html
    Exif Editor - http://semland.com/ir/#download
    Exifer(save Exif) - http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
    EyeBrowse - Catfish - http://eyebrowse.co.uk/EyeBrowse/
    Faststone Image Viewer - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
    Faststone Maxview - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
    Faststone Photo Resizer - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
    Free Image Editor - Unstoppable Copier -
    http://www.roadkil.net/datarecovery.html
    FreeMorphing - Unstoppable Copier - http://www.roadkil.net/datarecovery.html
    GroupShot - http://research.microsoft.com/projects/GroupShot/
    iIco - http://www.mintrasystems.com/world/product...duct.php?p=iico
    IdImager - http://www.idimager.com/freeware.htm
    - http://www.idimager.com/freeware.htm
    Image Analyzer - http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/ (Very nearly automatic
    features to improve your pix, especially in the
    SPECIAL pull-down, offering Auto Corrections.)
    Image Resizer - http://semland.com/ir/#download
    Inkscape - http://www.inkscape.org/
    Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.net
    JpegCrops - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
    Maximys - http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41417
    MS PhotoInfo -
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B5-1D88-437C-9F54-1FB0D210B5EF&displaylang=en
    MT Paint - http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/
    Oriens Enhancer Gold -
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/oriens-enhancer-gold.php
    Paint.Net(Get Paint) - http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/
    - http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
    PhotoFiltre - http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm
    PhotoMeister - http://www.photomeister.com/
    PhotoScape - http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php
    PhotoWipe - http://www.hanovsolutions.com/?prod=PhotoWipe
    PictureShark(add watermarks) - http://www.picture-shark.com/
    Pixcavator - http://www.pixcavator.com/
    Pixia - http://www.ab.wakwak.com/~knight/
    Pixie - http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html
    PixVue - http://www.softsea.com/review/PixVue.html
    Serif PhotoPlus6 - www.freeserifsoftware.com
    Sodipodi - http://www.sodipodi.com/
    The Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/
    Tuxpaint - http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint
    Vicman Software (all free) - http://www.vicman.net/
    Wax - http://www.debugmode.com/wax/
    Wink - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
    WinMorph - http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/
    Xnview - http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

    Image viewers:

    Ahaview - http://www.aha-soft.com/ahaview/ahaviewfree.exe
    CDI - http://www.2haveit.com/listdetail~id~18923~pt~CDI.html
    FastStone Image Viewer - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/
    My Album - http://pmeindre.free.fr/MyAlbum.html
    Picasa - http://www.picasa.com/content/download.php
    Shell Extension - http://www.firmtools.com/products/shellextension/
    SlowView - http://www.slowview.at/
    XNView - http://www.xnview.com/

    John, Jun 18, 2008
  5. Keith nuttle

    Keith nuttle Guest

    The primary purpose would be that database aspect. The basic idea is to
    tag the photo with some keywords, such that if I was looking for my
    sailboat pictures, I could type in sailboat and it would show all
    location of the pictures of my sailboat

    Keith nuttle, Jun 18, 2008
  6. Keith nuttle

    Paul Furman Guest

    Keith nuttle wrote:
    > I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    > currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    > places the month and date in the file name.
    >
    > I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
    > as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
    > structure.
    >
    > Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
    > free ware, that will show:
    >
    > thumbnail of the image
    > keywords to identify content of the image
    > location and date.
    >
    > It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
    > rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
    > the image files.
    >
    > It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

    For home use, I honestly think something like flickr is the best way to
    go. Should be no problem finding the originals on your hard drive once
    you search on the web versions. It's a lot of work tagging all the
    images but quite useful to have that on the web versus just at home.

    Ultimately there are better DAM (Digital Asset Management) solutions but
    not good cheap ones. It should be possible to move your metadata from
    one system to another, for example using the metadata to generate
    keywords for stock photography submission but that's also probably going
    to involve some pretty intense knowledge of database work & possibly
    some programming. Alternatively, you can embed the metadata in the IPTC
    fields of the jpegs (similar to EXIF) but careful as compatibility is
    not very good for many such programs.

    I wound up with a home brewed system for annotating on my edgehill.net
    web pages using PHP and the info is stored in simple text files beside
    the jpegs so I can search those and reformat however I like in the
    future or load it up into a database if I decide to.

    Most programs will let you keep your directory structure but if you go
    in & move some pics without the program running, the data gets hosed.
    Some programs will have a utility running in the background to detect
    these kinds of changes.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 18, 2008
  7. Keith nuttle wrote:

    > I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    > currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    > places the month and date in the file name.

    I got 95 Gb of jpg images (45531 images) and I'm using PixFiler from
    http://www.br-software.com/

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, Jun 19, 2008
  8. Keith nuttle wrote:
    > I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
    > currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
    > places the month and date in the file name.
    >
    > I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
    > as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
    > structure.
    >
    > Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
    > free ware, that will show:
    >
    > thumbnail of the image
    > keywords to identify content of the image
    > location and date.
    >
    > It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
    > rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
    > the image files.
    >
    > It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

    On Linux: KPhotoAlbum http://www.kphotoalbum.org/ Does everything you
    specified and allows fast classification. I've been running it on
    Ubuntu with approx 20000 (60gb) of photos and an happy with the results.
    I've got a directory structure similar to yours and wanted something
    that didn't modify the file. This suited my needs. YMMV

    Clair

    Clair Johnston, Jun 19, 2008