Photo data base and slideshow

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm new to this digital business, and perhaps the answer to my enquiry
    will seem obvious. It should be obvious.

    My camera is a Canon A70. I've just taken 1200 photos of a visit to
    western China.

    In the past I've taken film photos. I have compiled a spreadsheet
    with a line for each, including film and exposure number (created
    manually), date, time, setting details, and a description field of
    about 100 characters. I can sort and manipulate the base spreadsheet
    and produce, among other things, a set of photo labels which I can put
    in albums.

    The shock of getting a digital camera is that, so far, it's been a
    giant leap backwards, because I haven't found out how to do anything
    comparable, taking a computer slideshow as the equivalent of my photo
    albums. Software bought with the camera seems abysmally inadequate,
    and it's hard to believe these camera contraptions have been put on
    the market with as little support as that. Surely the shortcoming
    must be just that I haven't been clever enough to find what is so
    obviously needed.

    I need to be able:

    1. To get a base list of one line per photo, including the data
    recorded by the camera. The list must be one that I can import into a
    spreadsheet or deal with like a spreadsheet list.

    2. To add a description field to each line, of (say) 100 or more
    characters.

    3. To sort the list in ways I choose.

    4. To produce a slideshow of photos in the sorted order.

    5. To display with each slide whichever fields I choose from time to
    time (camera and photo settings, date and time, description). This is
    somewhat analogous to the display on my camera, where (to a limited
    extent) I can choose which, or none, of the data recorded by the
    camera that will be displayed.

    6. Ideally, to have a thumbnail function that will produce thumbnail
    images and allow display in the same way as item 5.

    Can anyone, please, say how I can do all this?

    Thanks.
    Tony, Nov 23, 2003

  2. (Tony) writes:

    > The shock of getting a digital camera is that, so far, it's been a
    > giant leap backwards, because I haven't found out how to do anything
    > comparable, taking a computer slideshow as the equivalent of my photo
    > albums. Software bought with the camera seems abysmally inadequate,
    > and it's hard to believe these camera contraptions have been put on
    > the market with as little support as that. Surely the shortcoming
    > must be just that I haven't been clever enough to find what is so
    > obviously needed.

    Software with digital cameras does seem to be lacking. You posted through
    Google, so I can't tell your OS. I'm going to make a suggestion you don't
    want to hear: stop thinking in the same terms as film, and start using the
    digital images and their data more fully. I'd suggest importing your images
    into iView Media Pro:
    http://www.iview-multimedia.com/
    which is both OS X and Windows, so probably will cover your bases.

    > I need to be able:
    >
    > 1. To get a base list of one line per photo, including the data
    > recorded by the camera. The list must be one that I can import into a
    > spreadsheet or deal with like a spreadsheet list.

    I hate to say it, but no. Don't import your database of digital imagery
    into a text-file and treat it as a spreadsheet database of descriptions of
    film.

    >SNIP<
    > Can anyone, please, say how I can do all this?

    Take a look at Media Pro (they have a demo version you can download). If
    you're on a Mac, let me know, and I'll suggest other image-management
    software. I think the issues are re-thinking your approach to digital
    imagery and getting a handle on how to handle it better. :)

    Phil Stripling, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Paint Shop Photo Album does much of what you want. If you make a photo
    album from the original files from the camera, it shows the camera name and
    settings in the "Info" view. That information is usually lost from the
    image file when you edit the photo and save it as a new image.

    You can download the trial version from www.jasc.com. You should also try
    Paint Shop Pro from the same Web site, for editing the images. You can do
    the equivalent of darkroom manipulations, and more. For me, it is a large
    part of the fun of digitla photography.

    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 23, 2003
  4. PeterZiminski, Nov 25, 2003