    OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
    B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
    other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?
    Cynicor, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Cynicor

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    Cynicor <> wrote:

    > OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
    > B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
    > other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?

    Because you've only ever looked at the results to two contests? I've
    never seen - that I recall anyway - any contest won by an entry matching
    either description. I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
    Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
    descriptions win!

    And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
    are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
    London, England. And well worth the visit it has been for the last
    I-don't-know-how-many years. I'm going again Sunday and am thoroughly
    looking forward to it. The quality of the shots is always stunning; the
    entries in the children's category frequently put my ability in the
    shade WRT both composition and exposure (often difficult exposure at
    that - snow, night, etc.).

    I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame. If you're
    fortunate to be in the area before April 29th, it doesn't take long and
    is worth the 7GBP per adult (museum entry is free, it's just the special
    exhibitions that are chargeable).

    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

    As a freebie you get the chance to take photo's of some of the best
    Victorian architecture anywhere in the world!

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Dec 30, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Cynicor <> wrote:

    > OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
    > B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
    > other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?

    Because you don't photograph those subjects.
    --
    George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
    Gregory Blank, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Cynicor

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Justin C wrote:
    >
    > I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
    > Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
    > descriptions win!

    Yes, the photos in this BBC/Shell competition are usually excellent ...
    ditto for the "Nature's Best" magazine yearly competition.

    > And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
    > are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
    > London, England. ...The quality of the shots is always stunning
    >
    > I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame.

    I'm pretty sure it's also on display in Holland right now, either at
    Leiden or the Hague ... we'll be visiting Amsterdam soon on our way to
    Tanzania and a photographer friend is taking us to the BBC display and
    also a Frans Lanting exhibit (one is at Leiden, the other at the Hague
    but I can't recall which is which).

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Cynicor

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > > Justin C wrote:
    > >
    > > I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
    > > Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
    > > descriptions win!

    > Yes, the photos in this BBC/Shell competition are usually excellent ...
    > ditto for the "Nature's Best" magazine yearly competition.
    >
    > > And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
    > > are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
    > > London, England. ...The quality of the shots is always stunning
    > >
    > > I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame.

    > I'm pretty sure it's also on display in Holland right now, either at
    > Leiden or the Hague ... we'll be visiting Amsterdam soon on our way to
    > Tanzania and a photographer friend is taking us to the BBC display and
    > also a Frans Lanting exhibit (one is at Leiden, the other at the Hague
    > but I can't recall which is which).

    One advantage of photography over "traditional" art is that it can be
    exhibited in many places at once!

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Dec 30, 2006