    personally think that it's great, but I am a little prejudiced.

    http://www.pbase.com/dondunlap/image/36344715

    Don Dunlap
    Don Dunlap, Dec 4, 2004

  2. IMHO, it's a good image. It looks soft, but that may just be the Web image.
    One suggestion I do have is to isolate the subject as much as possible,
    eliminating brighter objects around the flower that compete for attention.
    The two red flower petals on the right edge compete as does the white
    background (somewhat). Shifting your camera and tripod may help.

    Don Patrylow

    "Don Dunlap" <> wrote in message
    > This is one of my wife's orchids and was among the first photos I took

    with

    Donald Patrylow, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Don Dunlap wrote:

    > This is one of my wife's orchids and was among
    > the first photos I took with the 20D. Can any of
    > you comment on it and give pointers for improvement.

    Pretty flower! Your wife must be proud of her garden.

    Perhaps focus next time on the central petal, letting
    focus fall backward from that point. (You may be
    using matrix focus, so the shot will focus most of
    the petals behind the center of attention.) The DOF
    is probably very shallow for that 260mm FL to be
    so selective at f8, so maybe use aperture priority
    and select f4 or whatever wide open is for you,
    and use a tripod of course.

    Keep shooting! The next one, the "paradise tami,"
    is much sharper.
    Larry Dobersen, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    I had mixed emotions when framing the shot as to whether to include the red
    flower petals on the right. Someone told me that focusing on the main
    object and having other objects included, but unfocused, would add to the
    photo. I agree that the white at the right rear is distracting, and I
    should have had a black or grey board or something in the background. It is
    the screen of the shadehouse, by the way.

    Thanks for the comments,
    Don

    Don Dunlap, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Larry Dobersen" <> wrote in message
    > Don Dunlap wrote:
    >
    >> This is one of my wife's orchids and was among
    >> the first photos I took with the 20D. Can any of
    >> you comment on it and give pointers for improvement.

    > Pretty flower! Your wife must be proud of her garden.
    >
    > Perhaps focus next time on the central petal, letting
    > focus fall backward from that point. (You may be
    > using matrix focus, so the shot will focus most of
    > the petals behind the center of attention.) The DOF
    > is probably very shallow for that 260mm FL to be
    > so selective at f8, so maybe use aperture priority
    > and select f4 or whatever wide open is for you,
    > and use a tripod of course.
    >
    > Keep shooting! The next one, the "paradise tami,"
    > is much sharper.

    Thanks for the comments I will try lowering the aperature for the next one.
    My lens is an old 75-300 4-5.6 that I bought about 15 years ago. I can use
    f5.6 at that zoom, which will be better than f8. The "Paradise Tami" is
    nice, and I like this one:

    http://www.pbase.com/dondunlap/image/36513354

    Except for the background. It seems too light. It is actually the floor of
    the shadehouse, so I made do with what was available.

    Thanks,
    Don
    Don Dunlap, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Don Dunlap

    Crownfield Guest

    Crownfield, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > Don Dunlap wrote:
    >>
    >> I like this one:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/dondunlap/image/36513354
    >>
    >> Except for the background. It seems too light. It is actually the floor
    >> of
    >> the shadehouse, so I made do with what was available.

    > look at
    > http://www.vircen.com/rpd/
    > the original image, and one with more contrast.
    >

    >> Thanks,
    >> Don

    Much better. I think I'll redo mine and replace what is on pbase.

    Thanks,
    Don
    Don Dunlap, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Don Dunlap

    ZONED! Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 10:03:47 -0800, Crownfield <>
    wrote:

    >Don Dunlap wrote:
    >>
    >> I like this one:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/dondunlap/image/36513354
    >>
    >> Except for the background. It seems too light. It is actually the floor of
    >> the shadehouse, so I made do with what was available.

    >look at
    >http://www.vircen.com/rpd/
    >the original image, and one with more contrast.

    definitely better but seems more than just a contrast change.

    ZONED!, Dec 5, 2004