    actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.
    Thanks!

    salgud, Dec 16, 2005

  2. salgud

    Marvin Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > I'm looking for software that does a REAL collage of my pix. Not like
    > what Picasa does. (Another case of we don't know how to do that with
    > software, so we'll just call something else entirely by that name.) I
    > want something where I can "cut" digital images however I want, then
    > "paste" them into a single image of overlapping images. Like a collage.
    > Not a bunch of square pix lying next to or on top of each other (that's
    > actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    > software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.
    > Thanks!

    Programs like MS Publisher are made for page layout. You can arrange the photos on the
    page however you want by drag and drop. You can resize the pictures individually, and
    rotate them individually. I think there are other programs that are free or inexpensive,
    but I don't know of any to recommend.

    Marvin, Dec 16, 2005

  3. salgud

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for software that does a REAL collage of my pix. Not like
    > what Picasa does. (Another case of we don't know how to do that with
    > software, so we'll just call something else entirely by that name.) I
    > want something where I can "cut" digital images however I want, then
    > "paste" them into a single image of overlapping images. Like a collage.
    > Not a bunch of square pix lying next to or on top of each other (that's
    > actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    > software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.
    > Thanks!

    I'm not quite sure if I fully understand what you are asking, but I just
    tried playing with my PhotoPlus editor. Basicall, I created an empty canvas,
    open a new window, copy all or part of first image to clipboard, make a
    selection on new canvas and paste into that. Continue the process with added
    selections. If you want space or borders, you'll probably need to play with
    layers, I'm not that good off the top of my head, but can usually end up
    with what I want.
    As far as freeware, I doubt it unless you want to dive into The Gimp which
    will do very well but with a learning curve.
    The Serif site often has earlier samples of their software, an earlier
    version of PhotoPlus would do the job. I'm assuming you don't have a full
    fledged editor like Photo Shop or PSP.
    Note: there are usually a number of ways of getting a given result.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 16, 2005
  4. salgud

    MurrayW Guest

    MS DIP10 is available off EBay for quite low prices and may even still
    have rebate from MS. It does layers and you can do collage or montage
    quite easily. Images can be blended to a basic abackground or an
    original image can be the background image and another can be added to
    it (or many others). you can also make images of variious shapes and
    place borders around them etc.

    Serif PhotoPlus 6 and PhotoFiltre are freeware programs that will do
    some of these things too but for a very low price, I have found that
    DIP 10 will do most things anyone wants unless you want to spend more $
    and use PSE4 or PS 7 or PSCS2 ( lot more $)

    MurrayW, Dec 16, 2005
  5. salgud

    tomm101 Guest

    Photoshop can do this easily. Probably PS Elements too. For free I'd
    look at GIMP.

    Tom

    tomm101, Dec 16, 2005
  6. salgud

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 16 Dec 2005 06:46:53 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "salgud"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for software that does a REAL collage of my pix. Not like
    >what Picasa does. (Another case of we don't know how to do that with
    >software, so we'll just call something else entirely by that name.) I
    >want something where I can "cut" digital images however I want, then
    >"paste" them into a single image of overlapping images. Like a collage.
    >Not a bunch of square pix lying next to or on top of each other (that's
    >actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    >software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.

    Even MS Paint supplied with Windoze will do this.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 16, 2005
  7. salgud

    Bill P Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for software that does a REAL collage of my pix. Not like
    > what Picasa does. (Another case of we don't know how to do that with
    > software, so we'll just call something else entirely by that name.) I
    > want something where I can "cut" digital images however I want, then
    > "paste" them into a single image of overlapping images. Like a collage.
    > Not a bunch of square pix lying next to or on top of each other (that's
    > actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    > software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.
    > Thanks!

    Serif PagePlus SE will do this easily.........an it's free!
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Dec 16, 2005
  8. salgud

    timeOday Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On 16 Dec 2005 06:46:53 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "salgud"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm looking for software that does a REAL collage of my pix. Not like
    >>what Picasa does. (Another case of we don't know how to do that with
    >>software, so we'll just call something else entirely by that name.) I
    >>want something where I can "cut" digital images however I want, then
    >>"paste" them into a single image of overlapping images. Like a collage.
    >>Not a bunch of square pix lying next to or on top of each other (that's
    >>actually called "a stack of pictures"). Does anyone know if such
    >>software exists? I'd prefer freeware, but would consider paying for it.

    > Even MS Paint supplied with Windoze will do this.
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    It would be very difficult with MS Paint.
    With Gimp (free) you could put each image in a separate layer. Then
    erase out the background of each individual image. Then you could move
    each image around, move it up or down in the stack, rotate it, whatever.
    It will take a little effort to understand layers but they're so close
    to what you want to do it would be a shame not to.

    I suppose it would be the same in Photoshop but I've never used it.

    timeOday, Dec 16, 2005
  9. salgud

    BRN Guest

    I just used: Collage Maker (http://www.galleriasoftware.com/index.html). It
    does exactly what you want. It's got a free 31 day tryout (fully
    functional). I used to make a collage of the grandkids for a calendar cover
    for Grandma and Grandpa. It costs $28, but I don't think I'll use it again,
    so I probably won't buy it.

    Good luck.

    BRN, Dec 16, 2005
  10. On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:44:44 -0700, in rec.photo.digital timeOday
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf wrote:
    >> On 16 Dec 2005 06:46:53 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "salgud"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> Even MS Paint supplied with Windoze will do this.

    >It would be very difficult with MS Paint.
    >With Gimp (free) you could put each image in a separate layer. Then
    >erase out the background of each individual image. Then you could move
    >each image around, move it up or down in the stack, rotate it, whatever.
    > It will take a little effort to understand layers but they're so close
    >to what you want to do it would be a shame not to.

    Would I use Paint, no. But very difficult? It's not that hard a thing to
    do. If you want to be able to move things around after first placing them,
    yes, Paints not the thing to use. Otherwise, start by creating a blank
    image of the finished size you want and then paste from each file using
    that option and move/rotate, etc before the final paste operation.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 17, 2005