Photo Album software that has these features?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Fry, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Bob Fry

    Bob Fry Guest

    I have been search for a couple of days trying to find software for
    creating an online photo display or album with the following
    features. I haven't found one yet, and there are a lot out there, so
    I'm hoping someone can advise:

    1) Creates html so you can upload the whole album to your own web
    site.

    2) Allows manual sorting of pictures! And, this sorting should be on
    a page showing all the thumbnails with click-and-drag moving of
    images. Please, no little arrow keys to move pix "up" and "down"
    which force you to click-click-click a zillion times.

    3) Minimal image manipulation--maybe just resize pix for the
    thumbnails. Just create the friggin' album! I've got my own batch
    image manipulation programs for that, thankyouverymuch.

    4) The web page created for each image should have buttons to go
    farward, backward, and up to the main thumbnail page for that album.
    Maybe show the previous and next image thumbnail too.

    5) That's pretty much it. Not much, right? But I can't find anything
    with 1) and 2). And since that's all the features I need, 6) is, free
    or cheap.

    Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Bob Fry, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Bob Fry

    Satish K Guest

    http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/

    I think it meets all of your requirements - including 6) - it's cheap.

    - Satish

    Satish K, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Bob Fry

    Onno Guest

    Onno, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Bob Fry

    Aaron Bredon Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:02:47 -0700, Bob Fry wrote:
    > I have been search for a couple of days trying to find software for
    > creating an online photo display or album with the following
    > features. I haven't found one yet, and there are a lot out there, so
    > I'm hoping someone can advise:
    >
    > 1) Creates html so you can upload the whole album to your own web
    > site.
    >
    > 2) Allows manual sorting of pictures! And, this sorting should be on
    > a page showing all the thumbnails with click-and-drag moving of
    > images. Please, no little arrow keys to move pix "up" and "down"
    > which force you to click-click-click a zillion times.
    >
    > 3) Minimal image manipulation--maybe just resize pix for the
    > thumbnails. Just create the friggin' album! I've got my own batch
    > image manipulation programs for that, thankyouverymuch.
    >
    > 4) The web page created for each image should have buttons to go
    > farward, backward, and up to the main thumbnail page for that album.
    > Maybe show the previous and next image thumbnail too.
    >
    > 5) That's pretty much it. Not much, right? But I can't find anything
    > with 1) and 2). And since that's all the features I need, 6) is, free
    > or cheap.

    IMatch - www.photools.com
    It has a customizable web page generator, a 'light table' sort, some image
    manipulation (primarily limited to the tools needed for database
    management), it only costs US$50

    It also has a customizable export of all database data, so you don't have
    to redo everything if you change programs.

    While IMatch takes some time to learn, it is well worth learning.
    Aaron Bredon, Aug 28, 2003
  5. Bob Fry

    Peter Watson Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I have been search for a couple of days trying to find software for
    > creating an online photo display or album with the following
    > features. I haven't found one yet, and there are a lot out there, so
    > I'm hoping someone can advise:
    >
    > 1) Creates html so you can upload the whole album to your own web
    > site.
    >
    > 2) Allows manual sorting of pictures! And, this sorting should be on
    > a page showing all the thumbnails with click-and-drag moving of
    > images. Please, no little arrow keys to move pix "up" and "down"
    > which force you to click-click-click a zillion times.
    >
    > 3) Minimal image manipulation--maybe just resize pix for the
    > thumbnails. Just create the friggin' album! I've got my own batch
    > image manipulation programs for that, thankyouverymuch.
    >
    > 4) The web page created for each image should have buttons to go
    > farward, backward, and up to the main thumbnail page for that album.
    > Maybe show the previous and next image thumbnail too.
    >
    > 5) That's pretty much it. Not much, right? But I can't find anything
    > with 1) and 2). And since that's all the features I need, 6) is, free
    > or cheap.

    Have a look at "Gallery":

    http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index

    1) You just upload your pictures - It creates the html and thumbnails
    etc
    2) In Admin mode you can Move pictures to a different # on the page
    using a drop down list
    3) It creates a Thumbnail, a page sized image and displays the raw
    image if bigger
    4) Navigation buttons provided...
    5) & 6) It's free!!

    Peter
    Peter Watson, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Bob Fry

    Bob Fry Guest

    And the winner is....

    Arles Image Web Page Creator

    http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/

    and a big thanks to Satish for bringing this to my attention.

    Does the main things I wanted: manual sorting in thumbnail view, HTML
    creation, nice appearance of resulting web pages. Flexible enough to
    customize most all things I would want yet not difficult to learn.
    Reasonable price.

    A close contender was IMatch - www.photools.com. But I didn't like
    the way the HTML was generated, through a script. No doubt very
    powerful but the default templates weren't too close to what I wanted,
    and I didn't want to spend the time learning some script language for
    the task.

    Others mentioned didn't really meet one or more of my criteria in the
    original post, but thanks anyway.
    Bob Fry, Aug 30, 2003