    should consider this - it could be interesting.

    - Darryl

    , Dec 28, 2006

  2. B-Worthey Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year.

    Sounds like a good idea. I was just telling my wife the other day, we
    don't take enough pictures. I was looking through some of my
    grandparents pictures and it looks like they took pictures of each
    other, ya know? We only take pictures at events, important things, we
    don't take pictures of the things that right now we don't think will
    matter, but later someone will really be happy that someone decided to
    take the picture of. Anyway, I said all of that to say that I will be
    considering that one of my resolutions as well this year.

    B-Worthey

    B-Worthey, Dec 28, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message

    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
    > doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
    > your camera in your hands every day for a year.
    >
    > I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
    > and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
    > photo blog.
    >
    > I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
    > should consider this - it could be interesting.

    This idea seems to have been adopted by PBase known as "Photo a Day
    Galleries".

    http://www.pbase.com/pad

    I have not yet started one, but I like the idea.

    Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Ronald Hands Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year.

    A Toronto photographer has been doing this for some time. His
    often-stunning output can be seen at:

    http://wvs.topleftpixel.com

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Dec 28, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
    > doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
    > your camera in your hands every day for a year.
    >
    > I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
    > and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
    > photo blog.
    >
    > I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
    > should consider this - it could be interesting.
    >
    > - Darryl

    Did "a day in the life" series a few years ago at work, dispo cams in
    pocket for the week, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~hg/diversity/index.html

    I'm in two photo's, one with a musket (ok I handed the camera to someone
    else)!

    How others see the world, and the work of/at work etc is really quite
    interesting. Little did we expect one of the most pictured buildings
    (spiral stairs) would almost a year later be burnt to the ground,
    following that I lived with a camera in my hand for 3 months gathering
    images for insurance claims and history.... None that I can share
    publicly though.

    Niel.

    badger.badger, Dec 28, 2006
  6. C J Campbell Guest

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:13:01 -0800, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
    > doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
    > your camera in your hands every day for a year.

    Also called "Project 365," "Photo-a-Day," Daily Photo Diary, etc. I made up
    my own word for it: "phlog," as in PHoto LOG (distinguished from weB LOGs, or
    blogs." I encourage everyone to use it, as I have for many years. :)

    C J Campbell, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Surfer! Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    >take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
    >doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
    >your camera in your hands every day for a year.
    >
    >I've talked a friend into the project: we're starting on Jan 1 2007,
    >and we'll be keeping each other honest by posting our pictures in a
    >photo blog.
    >
    >I'd suggest that anyone interested in practicing their photography
    >should consider this - it could be interesting.

    Yes, a great idea - it would make someone like me who almost always
    takes outdoor shots do something different on days like yesterday which
    were thick fog (100m visibility) rather than just not take anything.

    --
    Surfer!
    Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

    Surfer!, Dec 29, 2006
  8. JoeT Guest

    "Surfer!" <surfer@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > In message <>,
    > writes
    >
    > Yes, a great idea - it would make someone like me who almost always takes
    > outdoor shots do something different on days like yesterday which were
    > thick fog (100m visibility) rather than just not take anything.
    >
    > --
    > Surfer!

    On days like those, think greeting cards, recipe books, advertising. Amazing
    what one can do with the things stashed on shelves or away in closets and
    storage.

    Got little ones of your own or grand kids etc for the day? Drag out an old
    trunk of clothes etc and let 'em play dress up whilst you snap away. Tons of
    new memories there to be had! Damn that last one was a flash of inspiration
    with which I must follow through.

    :)

    JoeT, Dec 29, 2006
  9. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]

    <> wrote:
    > I recently ran across a concept called "Photo 365". The idea is simple:
    > take a photo every day for a year. Subject matter is irrelevant. It
    > doesn't have to be stunning artwork for the ages. You just need to have
    > your camera in your hands every day for a year.

    The world is overrun by bad photographs. Why should I add to
    them when I don't feel creative, instead of enjoying what I do
    when I feel like it?

    If you really need something like that, mount a webcam or something
    to the wall of your sleeping room and have it take a shot a day
    on a random moment --- there's bound to be at least a few mildly
    interesting shots that way.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 30, 2006
  10. Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > The world is overrun by bad photographs. Why should I add to
    > them when I don't feel creative, instead of enjoying what I do
    > when I feel like it?

    While I don't disagree with the overwhelming flood of bad photos, at
    least most, these days at least, can be deleted!

    WRT the subject, I have found a project like this can improve my
    photography by forcing me to think creatively at a time when I think
    there is nothing worth photographing. It's a mental exercise. I've taken
    part in a few photo "assignment" exercises before and putting yourself
    on the spot does sharpen up the grey cells and, I believe, make me a
    better photographer.

    I'd advocate trying it but only if it interests you.

    Your point about doing it when you feel like it is valid. My take on
    that is this: if photography is your work, you can't only do it when you
    feel like it, you have to be able to do even if you don't feel like it
    and any practice that makes you better at it when you don't want to be
    doing it isn't going to do your ability any harm for when you *do* want
    to go out and take photos.

    I'm sure that point could be made better but 15 year old Laphroaig has
    those same little grey cells toasted just now :)

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.

    Justin C, Dec 30, 2006