    Any help much appreciated.

    Ken
    , Feb 11, 2005

  2. Scraggy Guest

    wrote:
    > My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    > about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    > alway what they seem.
    >
    > That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    > for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    > about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    > has not been my friend.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    This any use?
    http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/d...arch&keyword=grangeton&formname=sidebarsearch
    --
    My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman
    Scraggy, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Yddap Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    > about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    > alway what they seem.
    >
    > That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    > for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    > about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    > has not been my friend.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
    suitable
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:33:45 GMT, "Yddap" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >> alway what they seem.
    >>
    >> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    >> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    >> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    >> has not been my friend.
    >>
    >> Any help much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
    >suitable

    Oh, that is excellent. Thank you so much.

    Ken
    , Feb 11, 2005
  5. Joel Rubin Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:11:45 GMT, wrote:

    >My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >alway what they seem.
    >
    >That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    >for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    >about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    >has not been my friend.
    >
    >Any help much appreciated.

    I see some "News from Lake Woebegon" monologues (as part of Real Audio
    recordings of Garrison Keillor's radio program, a Prairie Home
    Companion) at prairiehome.org but no special pages devoted to the "the
    little town that time forgot; where women are strong, the men
    good-looking, and the children are all above average."
    Joel Rubin, Feb 11, 2005
  6. Ionizer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    > about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    > alway what they seem.
    >
    > That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    > for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    > about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    > has not been my friend.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.

    This is an amusingly alarmist site: http://www.dhmo.org/

    The site is devoted to the notion that Dihydrogen Monoxide should be
    banned due to the very real dangers that it presents:

    "Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many
    thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions
    of dollars in damage to property and the environment."

    Dihydrogen Monoxide, as many grade niners will realize, is water.

    A great hoax-debunking site in general is http://www.snopes.com/ which
    explores the facts, if any, behind a huge volume of urban legends. The
    site's content certainly lends validity to the Temptations lyrics "believe
    in half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear."

    Regards,
    Ian.
    (Now Playing: I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Temptations)
    Ionizer, Feb 11, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    > about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    > alway what they seem.
    >
    > That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    > for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    > about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    > has not been my friend.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    I happened upon a site a few days ago that presented many girls/women
    who live in my hometown (they listed my town by name under each pic)
    that want to have carnal knowledge with me poste haste. Funny thing is,
    I live in one of those small towns like Mayberry and I didn't recognize
    a single female. But maybe they're out there. If you're interested, I'll
    look through my history and cache and get the URL.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr <> opined very noisily:
    > wrote:
    >> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >> alway what they seem.
    >>
    >> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are
    >> suitable for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very
    >> real looking about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long
    >> lost and google has not been my friend.
    >>
    >> Any help much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Ken

    Rogered -- Gan yam sexually
    :-(
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Yddap wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >> alway what they seem.

    >> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    >> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    >> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    >> has not been my friend.

    >> Any help much appreciated.

    >> Ken

    > Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
    > suitable

    Adding this one here, Yddap, since I thought you might enjoy it, as
    well: http://www.dhmo.org/

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2 (Google Groups)
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2005
  10. Ionizer wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >> alway what they seem.

    >> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    >> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    >> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    >> has not been my friend.

    >> Any help much appreciated.

    > This is an amusingly alarmist site: http://www.dhmo.org/

    And *extensive*!

    I've had it linked at blinkynet for a long time, and just added it to
    the thread; should've finished reading the thread, first.

    Did you ever see the "Canadian Domination" site? It's down, but it was
    another extensive site about Canada's plans to attack the US and take
    over North America. It was done *from* Canada as a mock-patriotic
    salute, not by USans as a mock-scare thing. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2005
  11. Rôgêr wrote:

    > I happened upon a site a few days ago that presented many girls/women
    > who live in my hometown (they listed my town by name under each pic)
    > that want to have carnal knowledge with me poste haste. Funny thing
    > is, I live in one of those small towns like Mayberry and I didn't
    > recognize a single female. But maybe they're out there. If you're
    > interested, I'll look through my history and cache and get the URL.

    That's something that's been going around...I saw it discussed somewhere
    just the other day, on a blog or something. Seems to be the latest hot
    marketing scam.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2005
  12. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >

    >>I happened upon a site a few days ago that presented many girls/women
    >>who live in my hometown (they listed my town by name under each pic)
    >>that want to have carnal knowledge with me poste haste. Funny thing
    >>is, I live in one of those small towns like Mayberry and I didn't
    >>recognize a single female. But maybe they're out there. If you're
    >>interested, I'll look through my history and cache and get the URL.

    > That's something that's been going around...I saw it discussed somewhere
    > just the other day, on a blog or something. Seems to be the latest hot
    > marketing scam.

    You mean they're not real?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 12, 2005
  13. Guest

    Re: Phony sites about phoney towns -- Thanks!!!

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:11:45 GMT, wrote:

    >My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    >about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    >alway what they seem.
    >
    >That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    >for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    >about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    >has not been my friend.
    >
    >Any help much appreciated.
    >
    >Ken

    Thank you very much for the help. The Tree Octapus and the DHMO pages
    are especially brilliant .. and yes, Snopes will be a "must use"
    resource for them.

    Why didn't they have this good stuff when I was in grade six???
    Still working on commercial jets. <grin>

    Ken
    , Feb 12, 2005
  14. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>>I happened upon a site a few days ago that presented many girls/women
    >>>who live in my hometown (they listed my town by name under each pic)
    >>>that want to have carnal knowledge with me poste haste. Funny thing
    >>>is, I live in one of those small towns like Mayberry and I didn't
    >>>recognize a single female. But maybe they're out there. If you're
    >>>interested, I'll look through my history and cache and get the URL.

    >> That's something that's been going around...I saw it discussed somewhere
    >> just the other day, on a blog or something. Seems to be the latest hot
    >> marketing scam.

    > You mean they're not real?

    Silicone. And I'm not convinced the girls are real, either.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2005
  15. Richard Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:11:45 GMT wrote:

    > My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
    > about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
    > alway what they seem.

    > That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
    > for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
    > about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
    > has not been my friend.

    > Any help much appreciated.

    > Ken

    You've probably seen at least one episode of the tv show "Rome" right?
    Believe it or not, Rome Wisconsin does actually exist.
    It's only about a mile or two square though.
    Nothing like the tv version.
    Located on Highway 13 about 15 miles south of Wisconsin Rapids, Wi.
    Not much there but a general store and a couple of municipal type buildings.
    Richard, Feb 12, 2005
  16. Ionizer Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Did you ever see the "Canadian Domination" site? It's down, but it was
    > another extensive site about Canada's plans to attack the US and take
    > over North America. It was done *from* Canada as a mock-patriotic
    > salute, not by USans as a mock-scare thing. :)

    I'm sorry I missed that- it must have taken some incredibly creative
    writing to make Canada seem threatening. A comedian (can't remember who)
    noted recently that if we were invaded by the Salvation Army, we would
    lose. A forgettable film by Michael Moore from some ten years ago
    explored the theme of Canada and the threat it posed to the U.S.:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800241413

    That said, troops from Toronto *did* once march into Washington and burn
    down the White House. You never know when the mood might strike us to do
    it again.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 12, 2005
  17. Ionizer wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> Did you ever see the "Canadian Domination" site? It's down, but it
    >> was another extensive site about Canada's plans to attack the US and
    >> take over North America. It was done *from* Canada as a
    >> mock-patriotic salute, not by USans as a mock-scare thing. :)

    > I'm sorry I missed that- it must have taken some incredibly creative
    > writing to make Canada seem threatening. A comedian (can't remember
    > who) noted recently that if we were invaded by the Salvation Army, we
    > would lose. A forgettable film by Michael Moore from some ten years
    > ago explored the theme of Canada and the threat it posed to the U.S.:
    > http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800241413

    > That said, troops from Toronto *did* once march into Washington and
    > burn down the White House. You never know when the mood might strike
    > us to do it again.

    Yeah, but they weren't yours. :)

    As for The Canadian Threat, I, a USan, am reminded of something of which
    DCMoose, who is himself a Canuckistanian, occasionally reminds me. The
    second reference is geographical.

    "We're bigger, and we're on top; if this were prison you'd be our
    bitch."

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2005