    To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
    regular phone line.

    Thanks
    Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Glitch Guest

    Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

    Glitch, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Dmitri Guest

    Glitch wrote:

    > On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

    > Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

    Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
    call in Asterisk then?

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    Dmitri, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Kyler Laird, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Glitch Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:15:53 GMT,
    mitri wrote:

    > Glitch wrote:
    >
    >> On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

    >> Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

    > Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
    > call in Asterisk then?

    You¡¦re absolutely right; you will not do it if Skype is your application of
    choice. But again, your question was: ¡V in your words ¡V ¡§how can VoIP
    application be "combined" with a regular phone line¡¨.
    Asterisk is definitely an answer to your question. There are many free
    VoIP applications on the market to choose from (btw, I don¡¦t think Skype is
    the best one; also you can not use any hardware IP phones with it).
    Glitch, Oct 21, 2004
  6. I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
    question the way I read it.

    Jonathan Roberts, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Thanks guys, you really got me thinking more deeply on the situation.

    And to clarify the situation, I mentioned Skype first like my starting
    point, not a must. I heard about this "Asterisk", and I'm starting
    learning about him right now. Maybe it can fix my problem. The fact is
    that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
    and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
    integrating with Skype could be a start.
    Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

    Thanks all for help.
    Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" <> writes:

    >I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
    >question the way I read it.

    You're right. I was confused. The (bottom-quoted...) message to which
    he replied made that clear. Unfortunately I didn't go that far and
    instead confused it with this thread.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1098298962.hu8DpCUzCH+ulUsSo/xhCg@bubbanews

    Thanks for catching it and correcting me.

    And yes, Asterisk is the answer.

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Oct 22, 2004
  9. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol) writes:

    >The fact is
    >that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
    >and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
    >integrating with Skype could be a start.

    Stop thinking that!

    >Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

    Be sure to ask here if you run into anything that makes you think
    Asterisk can *not* handle what Skype can.
    http://www.voipdaily.com/archives/2004/03/why_skype_is_no.php

    As long as we're into peer-to-peer things...also note that Asterisk
    now supports DUNDI
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=DUNDi
    in addition to ENUM.
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk and multiple ENUM entries
    This is unnecessary for handling two teammates but it could come in
    handy with larger groups.

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Kyler:

    Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

    Thanks!

    Jonathan Roberts, Oct 23, 2004
  11. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" <> writes:

    >Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

    I've heard good things about one of the books...but I don't recall which
    one so I'm not much help. I'm inclined to stumble around for awhile
    using 'net resources. I will provide what help I can.

    There's a list of Asterisk books here.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Oct 23, 2004
  12. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    Re: Phone to VOIP use combine-a-line voip and pstn autonomus switching devcie

    Hello, the device you seek is already on the market. Our Nevada group
    designs and distributes this product.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5728102751&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT

    "Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
    > If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
    > the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
    > but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
    > but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
    > I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
    > maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
    > that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
    > possible.
    > What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
    >
    > To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
    > regular phone line.
    >
    > Thanks

    ---
    Marc H.Popek, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    BlueRinse Guest

    > Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

    We use asterisk every day between home and office. Someone calls one of
    two POTS lines at the office, if it's for me and I'm at home, the call is
    transferred to me by the person who answered. A call to our main number
    rings phones both at the office and home. Calls to my direct line ring my
    desk phone at the office and my SIP phone at home. At each end, one person
    answers if the other doesn't. CallerID on both ends. Different messages on
    each line go to voicemail which is emailed to me as well as available on
    any phone, including a SIP phone from anywhere in the world.

    Here are a few good starting points for asterisk:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

    http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

    http://automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm
    BlueRinse, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    Re: Phone to VOIP use combine-a-line voip and pstn autonomus switching devcie

    more

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732848193&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT

    "Marc H.Popek" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, the device you seek is already on the market. Our Nevada group
    > designs and distributes this product.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5728102751&ssPageNam
    > e=STRK:MESE:IT
    >

    > "Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
    > > If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
    > > the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
    > > but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
    > > but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
    > > I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
    > > maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
    > > that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
    > > possible.
    > > What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
    > >
    > > To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
    > > regular phone line.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > ---

    ---