    dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    computer off! Any idea what's wrong?
    Thanks

    Mick, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Mick

    Dan Wood Guest

    > I have broadband internet connection but a dial up modem for faxes and for
    > dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    > computer off! Any idea what's wrong?
    > Thanks

    Mick,

    Do you have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) attached? Or does your PC
    think that you have?

    I'm guessing that the modem 'ring' signal is being interpreted by your PC as
    a signal from a UPS that says "mains power lost, shutdown now please".

    Should at least give you something to look for...

    HTH,
    Dan.

    Dan Wood, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Mick

    Roger Cain Guest

    "Mick" <> wrote in message
    > I have broadband internet connection but a dial up modem for faxes and for
    > dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    > computer off! Any idea what's wrong?

    How good is your filter/splitter? I have found that signal leakage from the
    analogue stream can bugger-up the digital stream.

    Roger Cain, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Mick

    Graham Guest

    "Mick" <> wrote in message
    > I have broadband internet connection but a dial up modem for faxes and for
    > dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    > computer off! Any idea what's wrong?
    > Thanks

    Mick,
    Give us some more information about your analogue modem. Is it external,
    (COM port, PCMCIA or USB), or internal (PCI card or intergrated on
    Motherbord.. Does the PC appear to switch off gracefully or crash like
    someone interrupted the mains supply?

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Mick

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > I have broadband internet connection but a dial up modem for faxes and for
    > dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    > computer off! Any idea what's wrong?

    My sisters` machine had a setting in the BIOS to wake on ring, so perhaps
    there`s something in there to shut down on ring too :-}

    Colin Wilson, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Mick

    Dave Stanton Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:24:26 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> I have broadband internet connection but a dial up modem for faxes and
    >> for dial up backup. suddenly, every time the phone rings, it switches my
    >> computer off! Any idea what's wrong?

    > My sisters` machine had a setting in the BIOS to wake on ring, so perhaps
    > there`s something in there to shut down on ring too :-}

    You just turn it off in the bios

    Dave
    --
    Linux, breaking the pain of Windows

    Dave Stanton, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Mick

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > > My sisters` machine had a setting in the BIOS to wake on ring, so perhaps
    > > there`s something in there to shut down on ring too :-}

    > You just turn it off in the bios

    That`s exactly what I did, but it might not be the answer for the OP.

    I`m not sure how the hell it came to be switched on in the first place -
    I built the machine and i`m sure it wasn`t on when I cobbled it together!

    Colin Wilson, Apr 22, 2004