    internet. We will go the shared internet thing much later? All we are
    going for now is to network the two units thru the telephone lines. Knowing
    it will be slow, perhaps as slow as 10M.
    Louis AAA, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Louis AAA

    Sultan Guest

    Louis AAA wrote in
    news:chFJb.6666$:

    > Christmas is over and now we are left with a refurbished ze5383us
    > laptop and a refurbished a210n desktop both have phone lines connected
    > thru standard modems to the internet. What and who supplies the cards
    > that I need to network the two units via telephone lines NOT
    > considering connecting the internet. We will go the shared internet
    > thing much later? All we are going for now is to network the two
    > units thru the telephone lines. Knowing it will be slow, perhaps as
    > slow as 10M.

    Linksys makes a very good kit although it is hard to find in stores, your
    best bet is online. They work very well for what your after. You can get
    exact model number at the Linksys website.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Howdy!

    "Louis AAA" <> wrote in message
    > Christmas is over and now we are left with a refurbished ze5383us laptop

    and
    > a refurbished a210n desktop both have phone lines connected thru standard
    > modems to the internet. What and who supplies the cards that I need to
    > network the two units via telephone lines NOT considering connecting the
    > internet. We will go the shared internet thing much later? All we are
    > going for now is to network the two units thru the telephone lines.

    Knowing
    > it will be slow, perhaps as slow as 10M.

    Actually, more like 2M to 4M over telco lines.

    Less if you try to use the modems (hint: A 56K is 56,000 bits per
    second. A 10M Ethernet link is 10,000,000 bits per second ... )

    Rather than that, pick up a pair of wireless cards and a wireless
    router for the later access, and use it to interconnect the two at up to
    54Mbit/sec (802.11g close links).

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 4, 2004