    Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    be a problem? Thanks.

    gb, Oct 20, 2004

  2. In article <cl4tpp$9ck$>, "gb" <> wrote:
    >Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    >noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    >be a problem? Thanks.

    Unlikely. Provided that the jack is correctly wired, its orientation
    doesn't matter. If you can get dialtone, it's correctly wired.
    Does the problem occur on other jacks? Does the problem go away if you
    force the modem to connect at a lower speed (33.6 or 28.2)?

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Oct 20, 2004

  3. gb

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:43:41 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    provided this moment of wisdom:

    >In article <cl4tpp$9ck$>, "gb" <> wrote:
    >>Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    >>noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    >>be a problem? Thanks.
    >>

    >Unlikely. Provided that the jack is correctly wired, its orientation
    >doesn't matter. If you can get dialtone, it's correctly wired.
    >Does the problem occur on other jacks? Does the problem go away if you
    >force the modem to connect at a lower speed (33.6 or 28.2)?

    Agree with Mathew's thoughts. Would add to it - have you moved
    "rural", how far from the exchange are you, is the exchange "old
    technology", do your neighbours have similar problems?

    /Begin Sig
    Welcome to RJ's house of idiots
    #1. Redbaiter - lights are on, but noone's home
    #2. Harry - monkey see, monkey do
    #3. Mr Scebe - proof of Darwin's theory
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig

    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 20, 2004
  4. This problem is easily solved by placing the Square root of 7 in your beer
    fridge while you travel to Spain.

    Andrei Sharko, Oct 20, 2004
  5. gb

    Geronimo Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:08:59 +1300, "Andrei Sharko" <>
    wrote:

    >This problem is easily solved by placing the Square root of 7 in your beer
    >fridge while you travel to Spain.
    >
    >"gb" <> wrote in message
    >> Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    >> noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    >> be a problem? Thanks.

    Does not mater as the thing is Keyed

    Geronimo, Oct 20, 2004
  6. In article <cl4tud$95f$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <cl4tpp$9ck$>, "gb" <>
    > wrote:
    >>Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    >>noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    >>be a problem? Thanks.
    >>

    >Unlikely. Provided that the jack is correctly wired, its orientation
    >doesn't matter. If you can get dialtone, it's correctly wired.
    >Does the problem occur on other jacks? Does the problem go away if you
    >force the modem to connect at a lower speed (33.6 or 28.2)?

    How many phones have you got connected ? Does the problem go away if you
    disconnect them ... or some of them ? :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 20, 2004
  7. gb

    Karma Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in message news:<wbBdd.13203$>...
    > In article <cl4tud$95f$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    > >In article <cl4tpp$9ck$>, "gb" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >>Having just moved house I'm having problems connecting to the net and
    > >>noticed a newly installed jack has been installed upside down. Could this
    > >>be a problem? Thanks.

    In case anyone who gave advice is interested.
    After 2 weeks of probing and dreadful connections Telecom finally
    checked and found outside house wires were loose. Pleased to report
    'all's now ripping along just fine'

    Karma, Nov 3, 2004