phone dead, computer still working.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the phone
    under the house are all dead.
    The computer which also works off the phone line, I think, (broadband, not
    dial up) is still working.
    I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone dead I
    couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.

    Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think it will
    come back on?
    Just going to get tea, and I'll try it afterwards. Will keep you posted.

    If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    electrician?

    Very puzzling. Any ideas?

    If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 24/06/13 19:34, geopelia wrote:

    > The phone started ringing, then stopped.

    It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was
    caused by a short somewhere. Phone are low voltage so a short circuit
    won't be an issue as far as safety is concerned.

    > Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the
    > phone under the house are all dead.

    It's likely that there is a fault in the road somewhere.

    > The computer which also works off the phone line, I think,
    > (broadband, not dial up) is still working.

    Hmm, that works on a different frequency band and may use different
    wires. There are usually four in the cable to the house. Do you have
    filters (you plug them in to every phone socket that is in use) or a
    splitter (generally not visible, but it might restrict your broadband to
    one particular socket).

    > I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone
    > dead I couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.

    If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
    them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
    doesn't either.

    > Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think
    > it will come back on? Just going to get tea, and I'll try it
    > afterwards. Will keep you posted.

    Most likely the weather.

    > If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    > electrician?

    Telecom, and be sure that they know about the St John's button.

    > Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >
    > If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    Unlikely, but you do remember your kung fu, don't you?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 24/06/13 20:49, Crash wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:34:52 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    >> Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the phone
    >> under the house are all dead.
    >> The computer which also works off the phone line, I think, (broadband, not
    >> dial up) is still working.
    >> I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone dead I
    >> couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.
    >>
    >> Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think it will
    >> come back on?
    >> Just going to get tea, and I'll try it afterwards. Will keep you posted.
    >>
    >> If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    >> electrician?
    >>
    >> Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    > Hi Geo,
    >
    > If your phones are plugged into a power outlet make sure the power
    > plugs, on the power outlet and the phone, are properly pushed in.
    >
    > If this is not the problem Telecom should be called first - providing
    > dial tone is their prime responsibility.

    But only as far as the entry point, unless you pay the line maintenance
    charges.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:34:52 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    >>Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the phone
    >>under the house are all dead.
    >>The computer which also works off the phone line, I think, (broadband, not
    >>dial up) is still working.
    >>I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone dead I
    >>couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.
    >>
    >>Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think it
    >>will
    >>come back on?
    >>Just going to get tea, and I'll try it afterwards. Will keep you posted.
    >>
    >>If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    >>electrician?
    >>
    >>Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    > Hi Geo,
    >
    > If your phones are plugged into a power outlet make sure the power
    > plugs, on the power outlet and the phone, are properly pushed in.
    >
    > If this is not the problem Telecom should be called first - providing
    > dial tone is their prime responsibility.
    >

    > --
    > Crash McBash

    I've pushed everything pushable but no luck.

    I will ask the vet next door to phone telecom for me tomorrow.
    I'll try sending them an email and see if they answer.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 24/06/13 20:49, Crash wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:34:52 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    >>> Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the
    >>> phone
    >>> under the house are all dead.
    >>> The computer which also works off the phone line, I think, (broadband,
    >>> not
    >>> dial up) is still working.
    >>> I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone dead I
    >>> couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.
    >>>
    >>> Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think it
    >>> will
    >>> come back on?
    >>> Just going to get tea, and I'll try it afterwards. Will keep you posted.
    >>>
    >>> If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    >>> electrician?
    >>>
    >>> Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    >> Hi Geo,
    >>
    >> If your phones are plugged into a power outlet make sure the power
    >> plugs, on the power outlet and the phone, are properly pushed in.
    >>
    >> If this is not the problem Telecom should be called first - providing
    >> dial tone is their prime responsibility.
    >>

    > But only as far as the entry point, unless you pay the line maintenance
    > charges.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yes, I pay wiring maintenance.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 24/06/13 19:34, geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    >>

    > It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was
    > caused by a short somewhere. Phone are low voltage so a short circuit
    > won't be an issue as far as safety is concerned.
    >>
    >> Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the
    >> phone under the house are all dead.
    >>

    > It's likely that there is a fault in the road somewhere.
    >>
    >> The computer which also works off the phone line, I think,
    >> (broadband, not dial up) is still working.
    >>

    > Hmm, that works on a different frequency band and may use different
    > wires. There are usually four in the cable to the house. Do you have
    > filters (you plug them in to every phone socket that is in use) or a
    > splitter (generally not visible, but it might restrict your broadband to
    > one particular socket).

    I don't understand that, but up to now things have worked so I suppose I
    have got whatever they are.
    Perhaps the lightning the other night shook up something.

    >> I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone
    >> dead I couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.
    >>

    > If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
    > them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
    > doesn't either.

    If the phone doesn't work how can I phone St John? If I just press the
    button the ambulance will come if they can't phone me, so I can't do that.
    If the button is working of course.

    >> Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think
    >> it will come back on? Just going to get tea, and I'll try it
    >> afterwards. Will keep you posted.
    >>

    > Most likely the weather.
    > >
    >> If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    >> electrician?
    >>

    > Telecom, and be sure that they know about the St John's button.

    I'll send them an email now. I can phone from the neighbours tomorrow.

    >> Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!
    >>

    > Unlikely, but you do remember your kung fu, don't you?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Kung fu? There's all the kitchen equipment!
    They've caught the bastard anyway up north somewhere.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:24:44 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On 24/06/13 19:34, geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    >>>

    >> It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was
    >> caused by a short somewhere. Phone are low voltage so a short circuit
    >> won't be an issue as far as safety is concerned.
    >>>
    >>> Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the
    >>> phone under the house are all dead.
    >>>

    >> It's likely that there is a fault in the road somewhere.
    >>>
    >>> The computer which also works off the phone line, I think,
    >>> (broadband, not dial up) is still working.
    >>>

    >> Hmm, that works on a different frequency band and may use different
    >> wires. There are usually four in the cable to the house. Do you have
    >> filters (you plug them in to every phone socket that is in use) or a
    >> splitter (generally not visible, but it might restrict your broadband to
    >> one particular socket).

    >I don't understand that, but up to now things have worked so I suppose I
    >have got whatever they are.
    >Perhaps the lightning the other night shook up something.
    >
    >>> I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone
    >>> dead I couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.
    >>>

    >> If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
    >> them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
    >> doesn't either.

    >If the phone doesn't work how can I phone St John? If I just press the
    >button the ambulance will come if they can't phone me, so I can't do that.
    >If the button is working of course.
    >
    >>> Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think
    >>> it will come back on? Just going to get tea, and I'll try it
    >>> afterwards. Will keep you posted.
    >>>

    >> Most likely the weather.
    >> >
    >>> If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    >>> electrician?
    >>>

    >> Telecom, and be sure that they know about the St John's button.

    >I'll send them an email now. I can phone from the neighbours tomorrow.
    >

    >>> Very puzzling. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!
    >>>

    >> Unlikely, but you do remember your kung fu, don't you?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    >Kung fu? There's all the kitchen equipment!
    >They've caught the bastard anyway up north somewhere.

    Apparently there may still be one that pretends to be a police officer
    .. . .

    Rich80105, Jun 24, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    St John's unit is flashing a red light, but without the phone there is
    nothing I can do about it. I hope the ambulance doesn't turn up.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "george152" <> wrote in message
    > On 24/06/13 23:08, geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> But only as far as the entry point, unless you pay the line maintenance
    >>> charges.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>

    >> Yes, I pay wiring maintenance.
    >>

    > Every-one pays wiring maintenance.
    > Get onto them
    > you really need a phone for communicating... but if your Internet's
    > running you could use one of the phone programs on there

    How do I get one of those please?

    I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
    various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
    Last one says they should reply within four hours.
    St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
    If they find me dead in the garden too bad.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  10. We've had it happen twice now that the phones broke down (several
    roads' worth of users were intermittently affected) but the adsl happily
    kept going. Wouldn't ring at times, or would not give us a dialtone most
    of the time when we tried to dial out.
    Basically it was down to a lightening strike some place near by doing
    nasty things to the electronics in the exchange - whether it came in via
    the phone lines or the power lines is unclear.

    Couple of weeks ago my neighbour's mast-top transformer was hit by
    lightening (approx 500m away) and that took out two adsl splitters here
    and the phoneline-surge-protector in the ups, as well as cooking a fixed
    line old-fashioned phone that I keep as backup for powercuts. Presumably
    one would think it shouldv'e come in via the phone lines ... jumped
    networks at their place or some such? I.D.K. but they are actually on a
    different Corus cable from me, but we share a baton since the two cables
    meet outside my house. Surge from the 30kV line back down here? More
    likely - but that should not have touched the fixed line phone?!?

    Pain in the arse in any event. Voltages like lightening involved, it
    seems "shit happens" is about the best explanation.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 25, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>"george152" <> wrote in message

    >>> Every-one pays wiring maintenance.
    >>> Get onto them
    >>> you really need a phone for communicating... but if your Internet's
    >>> running you could use one of the phone programs on there

    >>How do I get one of those please?
    >>
    >>I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
    >>various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
    >>Last one says they should reply within four hours.
    >> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
    >>If they find me dead in the garden too bad.

    > Geo
    > You may have done this but my suggestions are as follows unless you want
    > wait for Telecom and their clearly unhelpful suggestions.
    > 1. Disconnect at the telephone socket all telephones in the house. The
    > same
    > with your Sky decoder (if you have one), the same with the St. John device
    > and
    > the computer. In each case disconnect the cable that connects to telephone
    > sockets in the wall.
    > 2. Now connect one telephone only and see if you have dial tone. If you do
    > have
    > it then one of the other devices you have disconnected has a problem and
    > you
    > would need to re-connect each one at a time until the problem re-appears.
    > 3. If you don't have dial tone with the first 'phone then try a different
    > telephone at a different socket, if still no dial tone then the problem is
    > telecom or house wiring.
    > Do you have a monitored alarm if you do then that could have grabbed the
    > line
    > and would disconnect all telephone devices? In that case the alarm company
    > would need to be called, telecom should be able to detect that if it is
    > the
    > problem happened.

    I've got St John, that has been busily flashing away since it happened. They
    must wonder what is happening.

    > You can re-connect the computer after you have done the testing.
    > Is there a good looking young man nearby that could do the testing for
    > you?????

    Very funny, but alas no chance!

    > The last possibility is if you have a splitter installed (you probably
    > won't
    > know if you have or not), if your telephones all connect through a filter
    > then
    > you probably don't have a splitter (if you have one it will not be
    > anywhere you
    > can see it, it will be in the telecom connection point). With no splitter,
    > all
    > telephone devices except for your computer should be plugged into a filter
    > (small plastic box connected to the wall and with one or two sockets on
    > the
    > box).

    Yes. that's what we have. 3 things connect to it.
    > Good luck
    > Tony

    Thank you. I've just received an email from Telecom telling me to do much
    the same thing,
    which I will do tomorrow morning when there is more light.
    I have to get down on the floor to do it.
    I can refer to your email if I get stuck with theirs.

    If it is their equipment somebody will come on Thursday, they think. I would
    have to make an appointment.
    I hope what I do may fix it though as they charge $139.45 if it is my
    equipment.
    Years ago they would come straight away, before they changed to Telecom.
    I forget what they called themselves before.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  12. geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    geoff <> wrote:

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    > >> It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was

    > During a recent power cut here in Wellie, my old 706 telephone kept working
    > fine. And the bell sounds lovely !
    >
    > IMO every household really needs one phone that works off the exchange
    > battery.

    Assuming the exchange has a battery.

    During the recent power cuts here in Wellington, thanks to the big storm
    on Thursday night, much of my suburb lost power for about 17 hours; my
    street was out for 20 hours. I was able to dig out my cheap and simple
    landline phone, and it worked. The landline is provided by
    TelstraClear/Vodafone (part of the hybrid cable/phone network that
    TelstraClear's predecessor installed in Wellington).

    A few years ago in a different suburb, there was another power cut over
    a wide area (substation outage), but that time the telephone line also
    went dead. I was with TelstraClear at the time and it appears that they
    had no battery backup in their exchange or cabinet.

    Either TelstraClear got better at installing batteries, or the
    particular exchange/cabinet we're on now happens to have battery backup
    but the previous one didn't, or the exchange/cabinet we're on now is far
    enough away that it wasn't affected by the power outage (or had been
    fixed by morning when I tried the phone).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 25, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "george152" <> wrote in message
    > On 25/06/13 14:05, geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get one of those please?
    >>
    >> I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
    >> various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
    >> Last one says they should reply within four hours.
    >> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
    >> If they find me dead in the garden too bad.
    >>

    > Try Skype or Supervoice but you really should be pounding on Telecoms
    > doors demanding that your phone be working.
    > A last ditch but effective thing is to email Fair Go. Seven Sharp or the
    > TV3 Campbell Live and tell them your troubles.
    > They caught one mongrel who was attacking OAP women you have to get that
    > phone working

    Somebody has finally replied from Telecom.
    I think if I try what they say, (which is much the same as what Tony says
    here), I should know whether it is me or their end.
    They could be cutting down on staff or something, I suppose they are a
    government organisation.

    And it's a foolish man who would attack a large woman in her own kitchen,
    too many lethal weapons handy!

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > We've had it happen twice now that the phones broke down (several
    > roads' worth of users were intermittently affected) but the adsl happily
    > kept going. Wouldn't ring at times, or would not give us a dialtone most
    > of the time when we tried to dial out.
    > Basically it was down to a lightening strike some place near by doing
    > nasty things to the electronics in the exchange - whether it came in via
    > the phone lines or the power lines is unclear.
    >
    > Couple of weeks ago my neighbour's mast-top transformer was hit by
    > lightening (approx 500m away) and that took out two adsl splitters here
    > and the phoneline-surge-protector in the ups, as well as cooking a fixed
    > line old-fashioned phone that I keep as backup for powercuts. Presumably
    > one would think it shouldv'e come in via the phone lines ... jumped
    > networks at their place or some such? I.D.K. but they are actually on a
    > different Corus cable from me, but we share a baton since the two cables
    > meet outside my house. Surge from the 30kV line back down here? More
    > likely - but that should not have touched the fixed line phone?!?
    >
    > Pain in the arse in any event. Voltages like lightening involved, it
    > seems "shit happens" is about the best explanation.
    >
    > -P.

    Perhaps, some of that lightning sounded very close, but there is a lightning
    conductor on the LDS Church nearby.
    I always turn off the computer and TV if there is lightning about.

    I'm going to try a few suggestions tomorrow and we shall see.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  15. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:49:53 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"george152" <> wrote in message
    >> On 25/06/13 14:05, geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get one of those please?
    >>>
    >>> I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
    >>> various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
    >>> Last one says they should reply within four hours.
    >>> St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
    >>> If they find me dead in the garden too bad.
    >>>

    >> Try Skype or Supervoice but you really should be pounding on Telecoms
    >> doors demanding that your phone be working.
    >> A last ditch but effective thing is to email Fair Go. Seven Sharp or the
    >> TV3 Campbell Live and tell them your troubles.
    >> They caught one mongrel who was attacking OAP women you have to get that
    >> phone working

    >Somebody has finally replied from Telecom.
    >I think if I try what they say, (which is much the same as what Tony says
    >here), I should know whether it is me or their end.
    >They could be cutting down on staff or something, I suppose they are a
    >government organisation.

    No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
    of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
    profit.

    Rich80105, Jun 25, 2013
  16. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
    > Rich80105<> wrote:

    [blah blah blah... Polotics in nz.comp.....mumble mumble cross-posted
    threads.....]
    >> No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
    >> of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
    >> profit.

    > A typical left Labor take on private industry. It's all bad . Only
    > state run can do it better. Beside Telecom does not do this work it's
    > passed on to chorus who also do it for all the other telcos / ISPs..

    Chorus are, IME very prompt. Most all delays are with Telecom actually
    asigning the job to start with.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 26, 2013
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
    >> Rich80105<> wrote:

    > [blah blah blah... Polotics in nz.comp.....mumble mumble cross-posted
    > threads.....]
    >>> No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
    >>> of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
    >>> profit.

    >> A typical left Labor take on private industry. It's all bad . Only
    >> state run can do it better. Beside Telecom does not do this work it's
    >> passed on to chorus who also do it for all the other telcos / ISPs..

    > Chorus are, IME very prompt. Most all delays are with Telecom actually
    > asigning the job to start with.

    Yes, Telecom seems to be the problem. Just received another email from them
    giving four choices of numbers to call.
    Brilliant, it's the phone that is out of order!
    St John's machine is still flashing. They must wonder what is going on.

    geopelia, Jun 26, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 24/06/13 23:24, geopelia wrote:

    >> If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
    >> them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
    >> doesn't either.

    > If the phone doesn't work how can I phone St John? If I just press the
    > button the ambulance will come if they can't phone me, so I can't do that.
    > If the button is working of course.

    Sure, I meant from another phone.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 26/06/13 01:29, geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you. I've just received an email from Telecom telling me to do
    > much the same thing, which I will do tomorrow morning when there is
    > more light. I have to get down on the floor to do it. I can refer to
    > your email if I get stuck with theirs.
    >
    > If it is their equipment somebody will come on Thursday, they think.
    > I would have to make an appointment. I hope what I do may fix it
    > though as they charge $139.45 if it is my equipment.

    Since you have a St Johns button, you can tell them that it is a
    priority to ensure that your line is working.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 26/06/13 01:37, David Empson wrote:

    > Assuming the exchange has a battery.
    >
    > During the recent power cuts here in Wellington, thanks to the big
    > storm on Thursday night, much of my suburb lost power for about 17
    > hours; my street was out for 20 hours. I was able to dig out my cheap
    > and simple landline phone, and it worked. The landline is provided
    > by TelstraClear/Vodafone (part of the hybrid cable/phone network
    > that TelstraClear's predecessor installed in Wellington).
    >
    > A few years ago in a different suburb, there was another power cut
    > over a wide area (substation outage), but that time the telephone
    > line also went dead. I was with TelstraClear at the time and it
    > appears that they had no battery backup in their exchange or
    > cabinet.
    >
    > Either TelstraClear got better at installing batteries, or the
    > particular exchange/cabinet we're on now happens to have battery
    > backup but the previous one didn't, or the exchange/cabinet we're on
    > now is far enough away that it wasn't affected by the power outage
    > (or had been fixed by morning when I tried the phone).

    Exchanges always used to have batteries. I can't see that having changed
    as prices and sizes of equipment have reduced dramatically. However,
    even the biggest batteries can be drained pretty quickly by a short or
    very heavy usage.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013