    the real intelligence at the edges. Contrast this with cellphone providers,
    who control everything you do with their network.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5260>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > The Internet is just a dumb cloud for pumping bits back and forth, with all
    > the real intelligence at the edges. Contrast this with cellphone providers,
    > who control everything you do with their network.
    >
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5260>

    The cell network providers were sold the exclusive right to the spectrum
    they use, and sell it back to you. Its about to happen again with the TV
    spectrum.
    In the case of SMS messages they sell it to you at around $2k per MB.
    LOL

    victor, Nov 13, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:48:46 +1300, victor wrote:

    > In the case of SMS messages they sell it to you at around $2k per MB.
    > LOL

    Ever so slightly a case of being massively ripped off!

    Carnations, Nov 14, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:20:18 +0000, Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:48:46 +1300, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the case of SMS messages they sell it to you at around $2k per MB.
    >>> LOL

    >> Ever so slightly a case of being massively ripped off!

    > Especially since the messages piggy-back for free on handshaking signals
    > which have to be transmitted anyway so that SMS is really, really cheap
    > for the mobile phone companies to implement.

    I suggest you both stop assisting these people in their rip off ways by
    destroying your cellphones, and since I've heard Cupapee complain about
    the cost of internet access many many times maybe he'd like to cancel
    that connection too.

    Squiggle, Nov 14, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Roger_Nickel, Nov 14, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Roger_Nickel wrote:

    >>> Ever so slightly a case of being massively ripped off!

    >> Especially since the messages piggy-back for free on handshaking
    >> signals which have to be transmitted anyway so that SMS is really,
    >> really cheap for the mobile phone companies to implement.

    > I suggest you both stop assisting these people in their rip off ways by
    > destroying your cellphones, and since I've heard Cupapee complain about
    > the cost of internet access many many times maybe he'd like to cancel
    > that connection too.

    While you reach for your tube of lube and bend over and beg.

    victor, Nov 14, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-14, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > Roger_Nickel wrote:

    >>> Ever so slightly a case of being massively ripped off!

    >> Especially since the messages piggy-back for free on handshaking signals
    >> which have to be transmitted anyway so that SMS is really, really cheap
    >> for the mobile phone companies to implement.

    > I suggest you both stop assisting these people in their rip off ways by
    > destroying your cellphones, and since I've heard Cupapee complain about
    > the cost of internet access many many times maybe he'd like to cancel
    > that connection too.

    Right on Baby

    Gordon, Nov 15, 2009