    not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Gavin Tunney

    Alan Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    > really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    > to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >
    > I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    > last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
    > but
    > not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Gavin

    So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
    trees next year and forever after.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Gavin Tunney

    Armpit Guest

    > I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    > last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    > not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

    I use the yellow pages - to rest my monitor on.

    Armpit, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >>
    >> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
    >> but
    >> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Gavin

    >So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
    >trees next year and forever after.

    What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
    to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
    Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

    GT

    Gavin Tunney, Mar 21, 2006
  5. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    > really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    > to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?

    Phone Book - definitely.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "Our entire company does most of its work on Linux."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 21, 2006
  6. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, someone purporting to be Gavin Tunney
    didst scrawl:

    > Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    > really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    > to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >
    > I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    > last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    > not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

    I prefer whitepages.co.nz, but it has its limitations. For starters it
    returns only 10 pages of listings, which is fucking useless if the person
    you're looking for isn't in that 10 pages.
    Also, it's not very good at the name discrimination thing. For example, do
    a search for "Rogers" in Auckland, and you get pages and pages of people
    and companies whose names are not Rogers but are some variation of Roger
    - one of the first entries is for a "Roger Abel", for example. Couple that
    with the 10 page limit and you're really screwed if you're trying to find
    someone using only a very small amount of detail.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 21, 2006
  7. In article <>, wrote:
    >Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >
    >I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    >not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

    Book. It's quicker. :)
    Very occasionally website ... for out of town numbers ... and sometimes it
    even works :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 22, 2006
  8. In article <>, wrote:
    >On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >>"Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >>>
    >>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
    >>> but
    >>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

    >>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
    >>trees next year and forever after.

    >What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
    >to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
    >Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

    Note. Telecom directories and telecom are different companies :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 22, 2006
  9. Gavin Tunney

    brazen Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, someone purporting to be Gavin Tunney
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >>
    >> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    >> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >>

    > I prefer whitepages.co.nz, but it has its limitations. For starters it
    > returns only 10 pages of listings, which is fucking useless if the person
    > you're looking for isn't in that 10 pages.
    > Also, it's not very good at the name discrimination thing. For example, do
    > a search for "Rogers" in Auckland, and you get pages and pages of people
    > and companies whose names are not Rogers but are some variation of Roger
    > - one of the first entries is for a "Roger Abel", for example. Couple that
    > with the 10 page limit and you're really screwed if you're trying to find
    > someone using only a very small amount of detail.

    Mmm agreed. The yellowpages.co.nz search facility is even worse.

    I sometimes use whitepages.co.nz and never use yellowpages.co.nz - google is
    usually better.

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 22, 2006
  10. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:19:13 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >>>
    >>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
    >>> but
    >>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >>>

    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Gavin

    >>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
    >>trees next year and forever after.

    >What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
    >to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
    >Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

    Both White & Yellow Pages are funded by selling advertising in the
    Yellow Pages. That's how come Telstra Clear customers still get to
    receive copies.

    As to your original question, I still use the book for local numbers,
    there's also a copy in the car for occasional use.
    --
    Regards
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Moore, Mar 22, 2006
  11. Gavin Tunney

    JohnO Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, someone purporting to be Gavin Tunney
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    > > Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    > > really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    > > to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    > >
    > > I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    > > last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    > > not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    > >

    > I prefer whitepages.co.nz, but it has its limitations. For starters it
    > returns only 10 pages of listings, which is fucking useless if the person
    > you're looking for isn't in that 10 pages.
    > Also, it's not very good at the name discrimination thing. For example, do
    > a search for "Rogers" in Auckland, and you get pages and pages of people
    > and companies whose names are not Rogers but are some variation of Roger
    > - one of the first entries is for a "Roger Abel", for example. Couple that
    > with the 10 page limit and you're really screwed if you're trying to find
    > someone using only a very small amount of detail.

    However the search is very good if you give it a location clue.

    JohnO, Mar 22, 2006
  12. Gavin Tunney

    Martin Guest

    > >>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
    > >>trees next year and forever after.

    > >What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
    > >to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
    > >Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

    > Note. Telecom directories and telecom are different companies :)
    >

    > Bruce

    Technically yes but try not paying for your yellow pages ad (because they
    ccoked it up) and see how fast they cut your phone off...

    Martin, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Gavin Tunney

    Richard Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Note. Telecom directories and telecom are different companies :)

    Another tui billboard ;)

    Richard, Mar 22, 2006
  14. Gavin Tunney

    Sonn Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >
    >I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    >not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >

    >Cheers
    >
    >Gavin

    Definately online. Given that Telecom have left me out of the phone
    book for three years running (I have no idea why!), but happily added
    me to the white pages online, I know online pages are far more up to
    date.

    A bit unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on who's looking) however,
    when people can't find me in the phone book, and don't think of
    looking online.

    S.

    Sonn, Mar 22, 2006
  15. Gavin Tunney

    A Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
    >really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
    >to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
    >
    >I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
    >last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
    >not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
    >

    >Cheers
    >
    >Gavin

    I use whitepages online. Its handy as the paper whitepages can get out
    of date when people move etc...

    Can't stand the online yellow pages though - its horrible to navigate
    and search.

    A, Mar 22, 2006
  16. In article <4420f460$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >> Note. Telecom directories and telecom are different companies :)

    >Another tui billboard ;)

    Yep. :)
    For some things they are very separate ... for others ... I'm sure it's as
    you suggest :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 23, 2006