    hours of Googling has not turned up anything, and I have emailed Philips
    about this and am awaiting a reply, but wondered if anyone else has had
    a similar problem and how they got around it.
    Harry Stottle, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Harry Stottle

    Graham. Guest

    "Harry Stottle" <> wrote in message
    news:taaIj.35925$...
    >I have a Sipura 2000 connected to a Netgear WGT 624 router, and the dect
    >phone that is plugged into the Sipura is a Philips SE 4351. The handset
    >backlight on the phone is supposed to switch off after 20 seconds of no key
    >pressing or activity, but remains on all the time, therefore draining the
    >battery very quickly. I tried a second handset and this did not make any
    >difference, and it is the same on both Sipgate and Voipfone. In desperation
    >I tried unplugging the phone cable, and the backlight then switched off
    >automatically as it should, so it appears that something from the Sipura
    >setup might be triggering the phone circuitry and keeping the backlight
    >alive. Can anyone suggest a setting I could try on the Sipura to try and
    >cure this problem? I cannot try the phone in a normal landline as I am
    >fully VoIP, and switching off the backlight completely makes the handset
    >hard to read in certain lighting conditions, so I need the backlight
    >working as it should be. A couple of hours of Googling has not turned up
    >anything, and I have emailed Philips about this and am awaiting a reply,
    >but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they got
    >around it.

    Many DECT phones automatically go off hook at intervals to see
    if there is a voicemail message indicated by stuttered dial-tone.
    I suppose it would make sense to illuminate the display for
    a short time if a message was detected. I have noticed if there
    are two such devices on the same line or Void port they
    mutually trip each other and alternately go off hook every
    few seconds.
    I know this probably doesn't answer your query, I'm just
    thinking aloud as it were, do you have a normal UK sounding
    dial-tone from your Sipura? could there be anything else outputting
    from the FXS port that could be mistaken for CWI like a non-
    UK standard CLI?

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Mar 31, 2008

  3. "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Harry Stottle" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Sipura 2000 connected to a Netgear WGT 624 router, and the
    >>dect phone that is plugged into the Sipura is a Philips SE 4351. The
    >>handset backlight on the phone is supposed to switch off after 20
    >>seconds of no key pressing or activity, but remains on all the time,
    >>therefore draining the battery very quickly. I tried a second handset
    >>and this did not make any difference, and it is the same on both
    >>Sipgate and Voipfone. In desperation I tried unplugging the phone
    >>cable, and the backlight then switched off automatically as it should,
    >>so it appears that something from the Sipura setup might be triggering
    >>the phone circuitry and keeping the backlight alive. Can anyone
    >>suggest a setting I could try on the Sipura to try and cure this
    >>problem? I cannot try the phone in a normal landline as I am fully
    >>VoIP, and switching off the backlight completely makes the handset
    >>hard to read in certain lighting conditions, so I need the backlight
    >>working as it should be. A couple of hours of Googling has not turned
    >>up anything, and I have emailed Philips about this and am awaiting a
    >>reply, but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and how
    >>they got around it.

    > Many DECT phones automatically go off hook at intervals to see
    > if there is a voicemail message indicated by stuttered dial-tone.
    > I suppose it would make sense to illuminate the display for
    > a short time if a message was detected. I have noticed if there
    > are two such devices on the same line or Void port they
    > mutually trip each other and alternately go off hook every
    > few seconds.
    > I know this probably doesn't answer your query, I'm just
    > thinking aloud as it were, do you have a normal UK sounding
    > dial-tone from your Sipura? could there be anything else outputting
    > from the FXS port that could be mistaken for CWI like a non-
    > UK standard CLI?

    Thanks Graham, there are not two devices on the same port, just one on
    Sipgate, the other on Voipfone, on the two seperate ports of the
    Sipura. Just to be sure, I disconnected one and checked the other, but
    the problem is still there. I have noticed that the name on the display
    blinks sometimes, so this might be the trigger. In the instruction book
    it says the backlight goes off after 20 seconds, but I have now timed it
    with the phone line disconnected, and it actually goes off after 30
    seconds, so if I could find a setting triggering the phone before 30
    seconds, and alter that setting to 35 seconds, then all my problems
    would be over. ;-)
    The dial tone appears to be the normal UK one on both phones, and I even
    used the Voipfone automatic installation just to make sure that
    everything was set as required.

    I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the Regional settings of
    the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37 seconds
    and that now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the cut off
    time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes, but better than nothing.
    I have no idea what VMWI is though, or why it should help, or if it
    could cause other problems, so comments welcome on this please.
    Harry Stottle, Mar 31, 2008
  4. "Harry Stottle" <> wrote in message

    > I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the Regional settings
    > of the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37
    > seconds and that now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the
    > cut off time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes, but better
    > than nothing. I have no idea what VMWI is though, or why it should
    > help, or if it could cause other problems, so comments welcome on this
    > please.

    I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1 and
    Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
    not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already working,
    so this will have to wait till I get bored.
    Harry Stottle, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Harry Stottle

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Harry Stottle" <> wrote in
    message news:d_dIj.30969$%
    : "Harry Stottle" <> wrote
    : in message
    : news:H4dIj.40103$...
    : >
    : >
    : > I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the
    : > Regional settings of the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI
    : > Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37 seconds and that
    : > now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the
    : > cut off time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes,
    : > but better than nothing. I have no idea what VMWI is
    : > though, or why it should help, or if it could cause
    : > other problems, so comments welcome on this please.
    : >
    : I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and
    : under Line 1 and Line 2 settings, this can be set from
    : Yes to No to disable it, I have not tried this yet as I
    : don't want to upset what I have already working, so this
    : will have to wait till I get bored.

    VMWI = VoiceMail Waiting Indicator

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 1, 2008
  6. Harry Stottle

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:56:09 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:

    > I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1 and
    > Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
    > not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already working,
    > so this will have to wait till I get bored.

    Voice mail waiting indicator. A way of alerting you that you have a
    voicemail. Turning of MWI will not stop your voicemail working.
    Alternatively you could listen to or delete the voicemail.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:45:09 up 39 days, 5:38, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.12, 0.07
    alexd, Apr 3, 2008
  7. "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:56:09 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:
    >
    >> I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1
    >> and
    >> Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
    >> not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already
    >> working,
    >> so this will have to wait till I get bored.

    > Voice mail waiting indicator. A way of alerting you that you have a
    > voicemail. Turning of MWI will not stop your voicemail working.
    > Alternatively you could listen to or delete the voicemail.

    Thanks for all the replies, the original change, altering VMWI Refresh
    Intrvl from 30 secs to 37 secs has done the trick, so after testing it
    for a few days with no problems, I have decided to leave it set at that.
    Harry Stottle, Apr 3, 2008