Phone answering

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by phstpok, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    provision for recording a message while online.

    No troubles detecting my voice modem, can record greeting message, but
    no messages left if online, only the option to answer the phone, which
    quite often is across the other side of the room.

    Any recommendations?

    Tried EzVoice, V3. Callcenter, ApServer and others I've already deleted.

    Rob
     
    phstpok, Apr 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. phstpok

    Richard Guest

    phstpok wrote:
    > Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    > they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    > already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    > provision for recording a message while online.
    >
    > No troubles detecting my voice modem, can record greeting message, but
    > no messages left if online, only the option to answer the phone, which
    > quite often is across the other side of the room.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Tried EzVoice, V3. Callcenter, ApServer and others I've already deleted.



    What do you mean if online? Are you expecting the modem to be able to take a
    call while a dialup session is active?
     
    Richard, Apr 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > phstpok wrote:
    >
    >> Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    >> they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    >> already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    >> provision for recording a message while online.
    >>
    >> No troubles detecting my voice modem, can record greeting message, but
    >> no messages left if online, only the option to answer the phone, which
    >> quite often is across the other side of the room.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?
    >>
    >> Tried EzVoice, V3. Callcenter, ApServer and others I've already deleted.

    >
    >
    >
    > What do you mean if online? Are you expecting the modem to be able to
    > take a call while a dialup session is active?


    Can always hope
     
    phstpok, Apr 29, 2005
    #3
  4. phstpok

    cowboyz Guest

    "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    news:d4tgs2$57v$...
    > Richard wrote:
    >> phstpok wrote:
    >>
    >>> Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    >>> they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    >>> already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    >>> provision for recording a message while online.
    >>>
    >>> No troubles detecting my voice modem, can record greeting message, but
    >>> no messages left if online, only the option to answer the phone, which
    >>> quite often is across the other side of the room.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?
    >>>
    >>> Tried EzVoice, V3. Callcenter, ApServer and others I've already deleted.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> What do you mean if online? Are you expecting the modem to be able to
    >> take a call while a dialup session is active?

    >
    > Can always hope


    DSE sell these hardware gadgets that will do this for you. I saw them in
    passing and didn't take a heap of notice.

    try this

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4272a0f500b9e538273fc0a87f99074d/Product/View/XH6837
     
    cowboyz, Apr 29, 2005
    #4
  5. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    > news:d4tgs2$57v$...
    >
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>

    >
    >
    > DSE sell these hardware gadgets that will do this for you. I saw them in
    > passing and didn't take a heap of notice.
    >
    > try this
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4272a0f500b9e538273fc0a87f99074d/Product/View/XH6837
    >
    >

    Cheers, but I'm looking for a software based answerphone. Plenty of
    software will do what hat gadget does.

    Getting something that recognises the carrier is the problem I suppose.

    Rob
     
    phstpok, Apr 29, 2005
    #5
  6. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:02:50 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >
    >"phstpok" <> wrote in message
    >news:d4tgs2$57v$...
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> phstpok wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    >>>> they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    >>>> already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    >>>> provision for recording a message while online.
    >>>>
    >>>> No troubles detecting my voice modem, can record greeting message, but
    >>>> no messages left if online, only the option to answer the phone, which
    >>>> quite often is across the other side of the room.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any recommendations?
    >>>>
    >>>> Tried EzVoice, V3. Callcenter, ApServer and others I've already deleted.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> What do you mean if online? Are you expecting the modem to be able to
    >>> take a call while a dialup session is active?

    >>
    >> Can always hope

    >
    >DSE sell these hardware gadgets that will do this for you. I saw them in
    >passing and didn't take a heap of notice.
    >
    >try this
    >
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4272a0f500b9e538273fc0a87f99074d/Product/View/XH6837


    Works well but I dont think it's what the OP wanted?
     
    FreedomChooser, Apr 30, 2005
    #6
  7. In article <d4tb6b$qpr$>, phstpok <>
    wrote:

    >Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    >they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    >already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    >provision for recording a message while online.


    Why not just get Telecom Call Minder for 10$ a month?
     
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2005
    #7
  8. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <d4tb6b$qpr$>, phstpok <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    >>they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    >>already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    >>provision for recording a message while online.

    >
    >
    > Why not just get Telecom Call Minder for 10$ a month?

    On Telstraclear, but just a natural aversion to paying for something
    that realistically should be available software wise.

    What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to
    play it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and
    reply. Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.

    I'll keep looking though, something might turn up.
    Rob
     
    phstpok, Apr 30, 2005
    #8
  9. phstpok

    Jeremy Guest

    "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    news:d4unrp$g36$...
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <d4tb6b$qpr$>, phstpok <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but they
    >>>either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if already
    >>>busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no provision for
    >>>recording a message while online.

    >>
    >>
    >> Why not just get Telecom Call Minder for 10$ a month?

    > On Telstraclear, but just a natural aversion to paying for something that
    > realistically should be available software wise.
    >
    > What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to play
    > it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and reply.
    > Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.
    >
    > I'll keep looking though, something might turn up.
    > Rob
    >


    I'm quite sure what you are describing is an impossibility, assuming you are
    using dial up with one line and one modem. Anybody who calls will receive a
    busy tone and thus be unable to leave a msg, However when you are offline
    the computer will with the correct software perform call minding. Call
    minder or call diversion will be your only options as they are implemented
    at the telco's end, If what you are trying to do was available it would
    have been adopted by thousands of dialup users across the country, negating
    the need for running a separate line.

    SOrry to disappoint you,

    Jeremy
     
    Jeremy, Apr 30, 2005
    #9
  10. phstpok

    steven Guest

    on adsl lines? (was: Phone answering)

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:02:04 +1200, phstpok wrote:
    it is my assumption that when you install a line filter (dsl splitter) on a
    dsl enabled line the 'telecom' port is to ensure that 'dumb device' like
    telephones, faxes can only use the lower frequencies - so they dont 'hear'
    higher frequencys. while the 'dsl' port gives a 'smart device' the full
    spectrium, its just that the 'smart device' only uses the higer frequencys
    for data transfer.

    now if this holds true would that mean you could get software that sits on
    a dsl interface to pickup the telephone, make outgoing calls - mabye
    'computerized anser machine'.

    idealy what i want is to have a 'telecomunications service' running on a
    box that listens for telephone calls, makes sence of any caller id info and
    nofies subscribers that somebody is calling and who they are - then of
    course a subscriber could hit a button and have the 'telecomunications
    service' pick up the call & fire the signal over the intranet to the
    subscriber machine.

    of course it would work the other way around, a subscriber could bring up a
    program which will instruct the 'telecomunications service' to make a
    outgoing call, the service would do so.

    is there a name for this type of technology? mabye a product that is
    available (free is good).

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)
    Third Year, B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
     
    steven, Apr 30, 2005
    #10
  11. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    > news:d4unrp$g36$...
    >
    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <d4tb6b$qpr$>, phstpok <>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but they
    >>>>either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if already
    >>>>busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no provision for
    >>>>recording a message while online.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Why not just get Telecom Call Minder for 10$ a month?

    >>
    >>On Telstraclear, but just a natural aversion to paying for something that
    >>realistically should be available software wise.
    >>
    >>What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to play
    >>it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and reply.
    >>Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.
    >>
    >>I'll keep looking though, something might turn up.
    >>Rob
    >>

    >
    >
    > I'm quite sure what you are describing is an impossibility, assuming you are
    > using dial up with one line and one modem. Anybody who calls will receive a
    > busy tone and thus be unable to leave a msg, However when you are offline
    > the computer will with the correct software perform call minding. Call
    > minder or call diversion will be your only options as they are implemented
    > at the telco's end, If what you are trying to do was available it would
    > have been adopted by thousands of dialup users across the country, negating
    > the need for running a separate line.
    >
    > SOrry to disappoint you,
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    >
    >


    That's more or less what I thought. The bounce happens at the exchange
    end, so no way of controlling it from here. At least I can record calls
    while away.

    Oh well, just have to wait till I can afford <irony> broadband</irony>

    Rob
     
    phstpok, Apr 30, 2005
    #11
  12. Re: on adsl lines? (was: Phone answering)


    >
    >is there a name for this type of technology? mabye a product that is
    >available (free is good).



    A Service like this is called "Modem on Hold" which is available with
    V92. If you get a call and the modem sees the Call Minder Beeps it
    will "suspend your internet call" and you can take the call for say 30
    secs or less and then when you hang up the internet will start again

    See http://www.v92.co.nz about V92

    Thanks
    Craig
     
    Craig Whitmore, Apr 30, 2005
    #12
  13. phstpok

    Thor Guest

    phstpok wrote:


    > That's more or less what I thought. The bounce happens at the exchange
    > end, so no way of controlling it from here. At least I can record calls
    > while away.
    >
    > Oh well, just have to wait till I can afford <irony> broadband</irony>
    >
    > Rob


    Ihug have what they call internet call waiting, have a look at it, you need
    call diversion from your teleco.


    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Apr 30, 2005
    #13
  14. phstpok

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:02:04 +1200, phstpok wrote:

    > Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software,


    [snip]

    > Any recommendations?


    Canel in phone services and ask that they write to you.
     
    Gordon, Apr 30, 2005
    #14
  15. phstpok

    Richard Guest

    phstpok wrote:
    > Cheers, but I'm looking for a software based answerphone. Plenty of
    > software will do what hat gadget does.
    >
    > Getting something that recognises the carrier is the problem I suppose.


    When I was stuck on dialup I figured that if someone has something important to
    say they would call my cellphone, and if its not important enough to call the
    mobile I probarbly dont care.
     
    Richard, Apr 30, 2005
    #15
  16. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:44:24 +1200, phstpok <> wrote:

    >What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to
    >play it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and
    >reply. Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.


    You need something at the Telco/ISP end such as:

    http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/incontact/faq.php

    I think a few ISPs have it.

    It's not possible for your modem to do two jobs such as maintain a PPP
    connection to an ISP and also listen for incoming rings, it's also not
    possible for your phone line to accept a call when one is already in
    progress unless it is forwarding to call minder or a service such as
    the above. (or call waiting. ugh)

    You could always just tell people to ring you on a mobile or text you
    whilst you're online (i.e. if your phone is busy) :) Then you could
    choose to disconnect if you wanted a lengthy conversation with them...

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
     
    Kristofer Clayton, Apr 30, 2005
    #16
  17. phstpok

    phstpok Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:44:24 +1200, phstpok <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to
    >>play it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and
    >>reply. Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.

    >
    >
    > You need something at the Telco/ISP end such as:
    >
    > http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/incontact/faq.php
    >
    > I think a few ISPs have it.
    >
    > It's not possible for your modem to do two jobs such as maintain a PPP
    > connection to an ISP and also listen for incoming rings, it's also not
    > possible for your phone line to accept a call when one is already in
    > progress unless it is forwarding to call minder or a service such as
    > the above. (or call waiting. ugh)
    >
    > You could always just tell people to ring you on a mobile or text you
    > whilst you're online (i.e. if your phone is busy) :) Then you could
    > choose to disconnect if you wanted a lengthy conversation with them...
    >
    > --
    > Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    > Gisborne, New Zealand


    Just a normal kiwi, want everything for nothing.

    I suppose $2.50/mnth I should stop being cheap.

    Rob
     
    phstpok, Apr 30, 2005
    #17
  18. phstpok

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d4unrp$g36$> in nz.comp on Sat, 30 Apr 2005
    13:44:24 +1200, phstpok <> says...
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In article <d4tb6b$qpr$>, phstpok <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Been mucking around for ages with various phone answer software, but
    > >>they either answer calls after a certain number of rings but not if
    > >>already busy or online, or they are fully configured pabx's with no
    > >>provision for recording a message while online.

    > >
    > >
    > > Why not just get Telecom Call Minder for 10$ a month?

    > On Telstraclear, but just a natural aversion to paying for something
    > that realistically should be available software wise.
    >
    > What I want is to record a call while I'm online, with the ability to
    > play it back while still online to see if I need to go offline and
    > reply. Mainly cause on dialup it takes hours to download large files.


    Use a resuming download manager with something like the DSE product.
     
    Rob J, Apr 30, 2005
    #18
  19. phstpok

    cowboyz Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    news:7aFce.2353$...
    > phstpok wrote:
    >
    >
    >> That's more or less what I thought. The bounce happens at the exchange
    >> end, so no way of controlling it from here. At least I can record calls
    >> while away.
    >>
    >> Oh well, just have to wait till I can afford <irony> broadband</irony>
    >>
    >> Rob

    >
    > Ihug have what they call internet call waiting, have a look at it, you
    > need
    > call diversion from your teleco.
    >
    >
    > --
    > *~~~~~~~~~~Thor



    that was really good but they cancelled the service last month.
     
    cowboyz, May 1, 2005
    #19
  20. phstpok

    Thor Guest

    cowboyz wrote:


    >>
    >> Ihug have what they call internet call waiting, have a look at it, you
    >> need
    >> call diversion from your teleco.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> *~~~~~~~~~~Thor

    >
    >
    > that was really good but they cancelled the service last month.


    Yes it was a good service, shame they've cancelled it not enough users of it
    I guess.


    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, May 1, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael

    PIX PPTP Not Answering

    Michael, Jan 24, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    812
    Michael
    Jan 24, 2005
  2. Froats
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,467
    Debbie Bullock
    Aug 28, 2003
  3. Joee

    Phone Answering Software?

    Joee, Aug 28, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    735
  4. Pastor Alimtoboa Kilukaonia

    Will you be answering the phone Paddy?

    Pastor Alimtoboa Kilukaonia, Dec 22, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    383
    Pastor Alimtoboa Kilukaonia
    Dec 22, 2008
  5. Anonymous

    Look who's answering the phone at 3AM

    Anonymous, Jul 22, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    461
    Anonymous
    Jul 22, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page