phishing???

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
    > phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

    Sorry, dumped it to a text file, and it seems to be sending me to
    218.57.129.20 to update my details.

    Interestingly, this ip address is owned by those responsible people at

    person: Data Communication Bureau Shandong
    nic-hdl: DS95-AP
    e-mail:
    address: No.77 Jingsan Road,Jinan,Shandong,P.R.China
    phone: +86-531-6052611
    fax-no: +86-531-6052414
    country: CN
    changed: 20050128
    mnt-by: MAINT-CNCGROUP-SD
    source: APNIC

    (Not that I've got a paypal account anyway )
    Steve, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Steve

    ...com Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve <> wrote:

    >Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
    >phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
    >
    >Steve
    >
    >https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

    There's so many phising around now it's not funny.

    Didn't know I had so many bank accounts with such a wide range of
    banks - and Paypal ! [NOT].

    I had one few days ago where I allegedly had requested a change in my
    MSN.net password!

    Sidetracking:
    Got a new version of the need your assistance to claim loads of dosh
    yesterday.
    Very short compared to the others and gave two telephone numbers - I
    bet they are ones that capture your phone number for their purposes.

    But, the biggest laugh of all was the sender attached a pix of
    'himself' - very healthy looking guy 'hooked up' to iv's and monitors
    sitting in a chair at his laptop...

    Spamcop traced it back to Italy.

    Cath
    ...com, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Steve

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve wrote:
    >

    >>Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
    >>phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>
    >>https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

    > Sorry, dumped it to a text file, and it seems to be sending me to
    > 218.57.129.20 to update my details.

    I looked at the source code, and can't see that address. I do see
    https://102.112.2O7.net/.....
    where interestingly the 2O7 is actually 2o7 (uppercase "o", i.e. "O",
    looks a lot like "0"). I wonder what the point is.

    I know nothing about all this stuff, but the page https://www.paypal.com
    is the same one that you get to from the EBay site. So where does the
    fake depart from the real one?

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Suddenly, Steve sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
    > phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

    I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
    no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
    without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
    hosted site somehow???

    But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Suddenly, Aaron Lawrence sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
    > no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
    > without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
    > hosted site somehow???
    >
    > But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

    I changed my mind. That must be a genuine paypal page, just with a
    mistake on it...

    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:23:07 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > Suddenly, Aaron Lawrence sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
    >> no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
    >> without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
    >> hosted site somehow???
    >>
    >> But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

    > I changed my mind. That must be a genuine paypal page, just with a
    > mistake on it...

    So has you wallet been reeled in?
    Gordon, Mar 28, 2005