Phishing through MS Notworking?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Hairy One Kenobi, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be a
    bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)

    "Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-043
    Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution (828035)

    Affected Software:
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
    Microsoft Windows 2000
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Microsoft Windows Win98
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003

    Non Affected Software:
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

    Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below !
    FIRST TYPE THE ADDRESS BELOW INTO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER, THEN CLICK 'OK'
    THE ADDRESS WILL DISAPPEAR ONCE YOU HIT 'OK'

    www.windowspatch.info"

    Is this relatively new (this particular phishing technique, that is - not
    the spamming), or have I been lucky thus far?

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Hairy One Kenobi

    Kyle2 Guest

    Hello,

    Microsoft do not charge for security updates. To see who is behind the
    scam/fraud (which it is) have a look at who the following are registered
    to -

    www.windowspatch.info and
    www.securesoft.org

    The usual messages look like Microsoft pages in an email and direct people
    to sites where they can download a virus or do nasty things to the computer.

    Always ignore emails about updates, use the UPDATE feature in Windows
    itself. That is MUCH safer. It is amazing what some people will do to get
    credit card numbers, such as the above people involved with the scam/fraud.

    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be a
    > bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)

    ---

    Kyle2, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Hairy One Kenobi

    Martin Guest

    "Kyle2" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Microsoft do not charge for security updates. To see who is behind the
    > scam/fraud (which it is) have a look at who the following are registered
    > to -
    >
    > www.windowspatch.info and
    > www.securesoft.org
    >
    > The usual messages look like Microsoft pages in an email and direct people
    > to sites where they can download a virus or do nasty things to the

    computer.

    > Always ignore emails about updates, use the UPDATE feature in Windows
    > itself. That is MUCH safer. It is amazing what some people will do to

    get
    > credit card numbers, such as the above people involved with the

    scam/fraud.

    I've just emailled them asking for their registered business address,
    business no. and VAT no. so I can raise a PO to purchase their s/w. I'll
    post back.

    They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if the
    business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then VAT
    is charged at the VAT rate applicable in the country of business
    registration. They price in dollars, their domain name is registered with a
    USA address, then they try and charge VAT on top of their scam

    > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > > As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be

    > > bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)
    > >

    > ---

    ---

    Martin, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Hairy One Kenobi

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
    <> wrote:

    >They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if the
    >business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then VAT
    >is charged at

    Its not that simple these days.

    However, if they are talking about VAT and 17.5% then that sounds
    very British.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Hairy One Kenobi

    Martin Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if

    the
    > >business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then

    VAT
    > >is charged at

    > Its not that simple these days.

    hmmm ok. In both business and personal life I have never paid VAT for a
    company outside the EEC, and have paid VAT at various rates for those
    inside. The question will really be, can they provide a VAT number to
    off-charge the government against.

    I'll post the reply. Should they reply.

    $20 for a "how to turn off a process" sounds a little expensive.

    > However, if they are talking about VAT and 17.5% then that sounds
    > very British.

    It does.

    So why charge in USD and why have a domain with all the accounts registered
    in the US
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com