    Is this as good as it sounds?

    Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
    the screens with zero pixels for three years?

    SchoolTech, Apr 4, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    Dorado Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Is this as good as it sounds?
    >
    > Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
    > the screens with zero pixels for three years?

    You get what you pay for.
    The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of LCD
    monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
    That's how they make something like that feasible.

    Dorado, Apr 4, 2005

  3. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Dorado wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >>Is this as good as it sounds?
    >>
    >>Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
    >>the screens with zero pixels for three years?

    > You get what you pay for.
    > The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of LCD
    > monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
    > That's how they make something like that feasible.

    We were quoted wholesale price of $356 to buy a 15" LCD with this
    warranty. Model 150B5CB/00

    Also quoted two different models of 17" LCD. Only the more expensive one
    ($56 more) was listed with this warranty.

    SchoolTech, Apr 4, 2005
  4. SchoolTech

    Dorado Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Dorado wrote:
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is this as good as it sounds?
    >>>
    >>>Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
    >>>the screens with zero pixels for three years?

    >> You get what you pay for.
    >> The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of
    >> LCD monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
    >> That's how they make something like that feasible.

    > We were quoted wholesale price of $356 to buy a 15" LCD with this
    > warranty. Model 150B5CB/00
    >
    > Also quoted two different models of 17" LCD. Only the more expensive one
    > ($56 more) was listed with this warranty.

    Hmm that's strange.. last I heard the professional ones were quite
    significantly more expensive ($200-$300 more atleast)... Unless prices have
    come down very fast recently

    Dorado, Apr 5, 2005
  5. SchoolTech

    Ken C Guest

    I've had my Philips 150B3 (I believe non pro)
    for 2-3 years now and no dead pixels yet

    Ken C, Apr 6, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    maz Guest

    They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am having
    trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
    warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I received
    had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to me.

    maz, Apr 6, 2005
  7. SchoolTech

    akiwi Guest

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am having
    >trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
    >warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I received
    >had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to me.

    Which model?

    akiwi, Apr 6, 2005
  8. SchoolTech

    maz Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am

    having
    > >trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
    > >warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I

    received
    > >had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to

    me.

    > Which model?

    It's a 190P model.

    maz, Apr 8, 2005
  9. SchoolTech

    akiwi Guest

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:48:30 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >"akiwi" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am

    >having
    >> >trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
    >> >warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I

    >received
    >> >had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to

    >me.
    >>

    >> Which model?
    >>

    >It's a 190P model.

    Is that 190P5EB? I've been thinking of getting one. Did you have
    time to get an opinion on its quality before you sent it back -
    colours and sharpness etc.

    I see there's a 190P6EB out now with 8ms response time at the same
    price as the P5 but slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio and
    16.2 million colours as opposed to 16.7 Also there's no reviews on
    the 190P6 yet - there were good reviews on the 190P5.

    akiwi

    akiwi, Apr 8, 2005
  10. SchoolTech

    BILL Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:58:58 +1200, akiwi <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:48:30 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"akiwi" <> wrote in message

    >>having

    >>received

    >>me.
    >>>

    >>> Which model?
    >>>

    >>It's a 190P model.
    >>

    >Is that 190P5EB? I've been thinking of getting one. Did you have
    >time to get an opinion on its quality before you sent it back -
    >colours and sharpness etc.
    >
    >I see there's a 190P6EB out now with 8ms response time at the same
    >price as the P5 but slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio and
    >16.2 million colours as opposed to 16.7 Also there's no reviews on
    >the 190P6 yet - there were good reviews on the 190P5.
    >
    >akiwi

    If it states 16.2 Million its only has 262K true Colours the others are
    achieve by dithering, pixel switching..

    These type do suffer from poor colours..

    Read the articles on Toms..

    BILL, Apr 8, 2005
  11. SchoolTech

    maz Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:48:30 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"akiwi" <> wrote in message

    > >having

    > >received

    > >me.
    > >>

    > >> Which model?
    > >>

    > >It's a 190P model.
    > >

    > Is that 190P5EB? I've been thinking of getting one. Did you have
    > time to get an opinion on its quality before you sent it back -
    > colours and sharpness etc.
    >
    > I see there's a 190P6EB out now with 8ms response time at the same
    > price as the P5 but slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio and
    > 16.2 million colours as opposed to 16.7 Also there's no reviews on
    > the 190P6 yet - there were good reviews on the 190P5.
    >
    > akiwi

    Yeap its the P5EB. It is quite a nice monitor, apart from the dead pixels,
    and does have the pivot feature which I use a lot. It is made in china and
    does feel a little on the cheap side in terms of build quality. The colours
    don't seem quite as good as my previous LCD monitor which was also a Philips
    (made in Taiwan), and my older one was also a better build (better plastics
    and more solid) .
    The current one I have got displays the dead pixel as a dark pixel on a
    light screen, very very noticable. They are replacing it, but I
    unfortionately don't hold out too much hope of getting one with no pixel
    defects. I don't know how many chances I will give them to provide me with
    one that doesn't have these defects, this will be their 3rd chance, so I am
    also on the look out at other brands just in case they can't provide me with
    one without these defects. I don't want the P6 version as it doesn't look
    anywhere near as good in terms of colours and picture quality, although it
    is probably better for gaming( something I won't be using for)

    maz, Apr 9, 2005