philips monitor problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jils, Jul 1, 2009.

  1. jils

    jils Guest

    i have a philips 200W6CS/00 monitor experiencing an intermittent problem
    and if anyone can shed any light on it i'd be really grateful!

    i'm running windows xp with all patches & updates.

    when i go away from the computer for an extended period i always turn
    off the monitor. there's a green led above the monitor power switch. on
    returning to the computer after several hours i've pressed the monitor's
    power switch, the green led comes on, the screen flickers once and then
    turns black. as far as i can recall, the green led stayed green. once or
    twice an hour i'd press the power switch on to see the same result, and
    after around 24 hours the monitor came back to "normal" display.

    when this problem has been evident i've tried exchanging the cables,
    both power and video.

    i've contacted philips, where the tech theorised that the monitor could
    be failing to come out of "sleep mode". but if the screen is turned off,
    why would it go into sleep mode? he said if the monitor is connected to
    the computer, and the computer's on, it will still communicate with the
    monitor. hmmm. i do not have any power saving mode enabled through the
    computer's setup.

    i've had the monitor a year. the first time the problem happened was
    about 5 months ago, then again a month ago.

    any input, anyone? and thanks in advance.
    jils, Jul 1, 2009

  2. jils

    jils Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > Right click the desk top and select properties, then under the screen
    > saver check your power settings. Turning the monitor off does not
    > prevent windows from putting the monitor in sleep mode if it is set
    > to do so. If the monitor is set to power down by windows there is no
    > need to turn it off by the power button. when in sleep mode the
    > green light will turn amber. Good Luck

    thanks for the thought but, as i said, i don't have any power
    saver settings enabled for the monitor through windows. all are set to
    "never".
    jils, Jul 1, 2009

  3. jils

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:13:04 +1000, jils <> wrote:

    >Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Right click the desk top and select properties, then under the screen
    >> saver check your power settings. Turning the monitor off does not
    >> prevent windows from putting the monitor in sleep mode if it is set
    >> to do so. If the monitor is set to power down by windows there is no
    >> need to turn it off by the power button. when in sleep mode the
    >> green light will turn amber. Good Luck
    >>

    >thanks for the thought but, as i said, i don't have any power
    >saver settings enabled for the monitor through windows. all are set to
    >"never".

    Do you have Hibernation turned off too?

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864
    Mara, Jul 1, 2009
  4. jils

    Old Gringo Guest

    Two Cents To The jils Post:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Right click the desk top and select properties, then under the screen
    >> saver check your power settings. Turning the monitor off does not
    >> prevent windows from putting the monitor in sleep mode if it is set
    >> to do so. If the monitor is set to power down by windows there is no
    >> need to turn it off by the power button. when in sleep mode the
    >> green light will turn amber. Good Luck
    >>

    > thanks for the thought but, as i said, i don't have any power
    > saver settings enabled for the monitor through windows. all are set to
    > "never".

    try another monitor if available.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Jul 1, 2009
  5. jils

    chuckcar Guest

    jils <> wrote in

    > i have a philips 200W6CS/00 monitor experiencing an intermittent problem
    > and if anyone can shed any light on it i'd be really grateful!
    >
    > i'm running windows xp with all patches & updates.
    >
    > when i go away from the computer for an extended period i always turn
    > off the monitor. there's a green led above the monitor power switch. on
    > returning to the computer after several hours i've pressed the monitor's
    > power switch, the green led comes on, the screen flickers once and then
    > turns black. as far as i can recall, the green led stayed green. once or
    > twice an hour i'd press the power switch on to see the same result, and
    > after around 24 hours the monitor came back to "normal" display.
    >
    > when this problem has been evident i've tried exchanging the cables,
    > both power and video.
    >
    > i've contacted philips, where the tech theorised that the monitor could
    > be failing to come out of "sleep mode". but if the screen is turned off,
    > why would it go into sleep mode? he said if the monitor is connected to
    > the computer, and the computer's on, it will still communicate with the
    > monitor. hmmm. i do not have any power saving mode enabled through the
    > computer's setup.
    >
    > i've had the monitor a year. the first time the problem happened was
    > about 5 months ago, then again a month ago.
    >
    > any input, anyone? and thanks in advance.

    It *is* strictly a monitor problem, you've eliminated everything else. If
    it's under warrenty, I'd have it replaced as defective.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 1, 2009