    Thanks - Ken

    P.S. I may cross-post this message.
    , Apr 17, 2005

  2. On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:24:46 +1000, wrote:

    >I've a Philips DVDR75 machine. (At least, I do as a rule. It's been
    >gone for service since before Easter because of a fault in recognising
    >discs and disc-types inserted into it.)

    >Strangely, a friend in the US to whom I sent DVD+RW discs (I'm in
    >Melbourne, Australia), and who has his own Philips DVDRs, reports that
    >his machines 'can't open' the discs. He has to use another machine, a
    >DVD-player of a different brand.

    >Even then, he reports that one disc stopped playing after 65 mins, i.e.,
    >before the recorded material was finished.

    >I have always used only DVD+RW discs (since getting my DVD-recorder
    >about a year ago). My friend in the US tells me that Philips have told
    >him that DVD+R discs are 'more stable'.

    Although I don't have have a DVD recorder, I've read that they have a
    habit of breaking down with a few months of use. My experience with a
    computer DVD burner for -RW is that they are not stable. +RW are
    usually reliable, but sometimes a burn or erase fails for no obvious
    reason. A full erase recovers the disk,but I don't know what caused
    the failure. Articles I've read suggest that +/- RW can't be expected
    to hold the data for more than 6 months. With some brands of +/- RW,
    they seem to cause problems 1 month after the disk was burned.

    Sig:
    Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
    philosopher (1694-1778)
    Rotes Sapiens, Apr 25, 2005