    has. Is this enough reason to favour the 170 over the 190 at the
    expense of smaller text (as well as being cheaper) ?

    Thanks for any comments.
    akiwi, Oct 31, 2004

  2. akiwi

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Does anyone have a Philips 170B5 LCD monitor and can say what
    > the colours are like on it? Are they acceptable and not too dull.
    >
    > The 170B5 and 190B5 have the same max resolution of 1280 by 1024 but
    > the 190 has .29 pixel pitch and the 170 .26 pixel pitch. Will text be
    > just as clear on the 190 only larger and therefore easier to read?
    >
    > The 190 doesn't have the zero bright dot pixel guarantee that the 170
    > has. Is this enough reason to favour the 170 over the 190 at the
    > expense of smaller text (as well as being cheaper) ?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.

    I have a (well two actually) 190B5's. I chose it over the AOC because it had
    a better colour range, even though the AOC appeared brighter. The 190B was
    sharper and gave much better contrast, and i have been very impressed with
    it. Text is easy to read - just make sure that you set the refresh rate to
    60Hz as this gives it the best image performance. I have managed to play
    games without any problem (last weekend it was another round of multiplayer
    Dungeon Siege). I didn't notice any artifacts, though if you look really
    hard when you move the mouse fast across the screen, you can pick up a very
    faint blur.

    For the price i would recommend it to anyone.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Oct 31, 2004

  3. akiwi

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:33:15 +1300, akiwi <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have a Philips 170B5 LCD monitor and can say what
    >the colours are like on it? Are they acceptable and not too dull.
    >
    >The 170B5 and 190B5 have the same max resolution of 1280 by 1024 but
    >the 190 has .29 pixel pitch and the 170 .26 pixel pitch. Will text be
    >just as clear on the 190 only larger and therefore easier to read?
    >
    >The 190 doesn't have the zero bright dot pixel guarantee that the 170
    >has. Is this enough reason to favour the 170 over the 190 at the
    >expense of smaller text (as well as being cheaper) ?
    >
    >Thanks for any comments.

    Why Philips..

    Far better choices out there..
    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  4. akiwi

    akiwi Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:16:09 +1300, Geronimo
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:33:15 +1300, akiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone have a Philips 170B5 LCD monitor and can say what
    >>the colours are like on it? Are they acceptable and not too dull.
    >>
    >>The 170B5 and 190B5 have the same max resolution of 1280 by 1024 but
    >>the 190 has .29 pixel pitch and the 170 .26 pixel pitch. Will text be
    >>just as clear on the 190 only larger and therefore easier to read?
    >>
    >>The 190 doesn't have the zero bright dot pixel guarantee that the 170
    >>has. Is this enough reason to favour the 170 over the 190 at the
    >>expense of smaller text (as well as being cheaper) ?

    >Why Philips..
    >
    >Far better choices out there..

    I don't want it for gaming or image editing so I don't need a top of
    the range monitor but I don't want dull lacklustre colours either. I
    can't check the monitor itself other than by buying it and I have no
    way to tell which brand or model would be best. The 170 is around
    $700 and 190 is $950 - $1000. What monitor would you recommend at
    around these prices and what would it do better than the Philips?
    akiwi, Oct 31, 2004
  5. akiwi

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:22:45 +1300, akiwi <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:16:09 +1300, Geronimo
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:33:15 +1300, akiwi <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone have a Philips 170B5 LCD monitor and can say what
    >>>the colours are like on it? Are they acceptable and not too dull.
    >>>
    >>>The 170B5 and 190B5 have the same max resolution of 1280 by 1024 but
    >>>the 190 has .29 pixel pitch and the 170 .26 pixel pitch. Will text be
    >>>just as clear on the 190 only larger and therefore easier to read?
    >>>
    >>>The 190 doesn't have the zero bright dot pixel guarantee that the 170
    >>>has. Is this enough reason to favour the 170 over the 190 at the
    >>>expense of smaller text (as well as being cheaper) ?

    >>Why Philips..
    >>
    >>Far better choices out there..
    >>

    >I don't want it for gaming or image editing so I don't need a top of
    >the range monitor but I don't want dull lacklustre colours either. I
    >can't check the monitor itself other than by buying it and I have no
    >way to tell which brand or model would be best. The 170 is around
    >$700 and 190 is $950 - $1000. What monitor would you recommend at
    >around these prices and what would it do better than the Philips?

    Viewsionic, Samsung, the CMV CT723 has a dead pixel warrantee, but I have
    only seen that in a OZZ Mag..

    Only get one with a decent warranty on the Lamps as they can't be replaced..

    They all say never buy a LCD with out seeing it first, mind you I bought mine
    just on a few reviews, Hitachi not sold here any more.

    Also not all monitors are true 16 million colours as the use a trick called
    pixel switching/dithering to get more colours, some do mention this in there
    specks but a lot do not.

    Try www.tomshardware.com for some reviews

    A lot of monitors that have 16ms pixel switching, but in the OZZ mags, the
    reviews vary a lot of these monitors, this is a puzzle as they all use the
    same LCD Panel.
    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  6. akiwi

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:57:34 +1300, Geronimo <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:22:45 +1300, akiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:16:09 +1300, Geronimo
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Why Philips..
    >>>
    >>>Far better choices out there..
    >>>

    >>I don't want it for gaming or image editing so I don't need a top of
    >>the range monitor but I don't want dull lacklustre colours either. I
    >>can't check the monitor itself other than by buying it and I have no
    >>way to tell which brand or model would be best. The 170 is around
    >>$700 and 190 is $950 - $1000. What monitor would you recommend at
    >>around these prices and what would it do better than the Philips?

    >Viewsionic, Samsung, the CMV CT723 has a dead pixel warrantee, but I have
    >only seen that in a OZZ Mag..

    I didn't think much of the CMV ones i've seen in Dick Smith. I've seen both
    good and bad reviews on them too.
    Craig Shore, Oct 31, 2004
  7. akiwi

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Geronimo" <> wrote in message

    > Viewsionic, Samsung, the CMV CT723 has a dead pixel warrantee, but I

    have
    > only seen that in a OZZ Mag..

    Have you seen any of these in the flesh, or is this just another one of your
    wankfests, Woger? The Philips has an excellent picture, and i am very happy
    with my purchase.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Pershonally i think you're a fucking idiot"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 1, 2004