    what happened to my other three cores? How can I verify that Windows is
    seeing, and using, all 4 cores? At first it showed 4 processors, with
    different cpu utilisation for each one. Now there is just one.
    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007

  2. Zootal

    DP Guest

    You may have already done this, but just to be sure.
    Click on the Performance tab in Task Manager. Click on View and make sure
    under CPU history, you've checked "One Graph per CPU."

    DP, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    If I run AMD power monitor, it says that multi core support is not enabled
    in your OS or bios. My bios has no options to enable/disable multi core. I
    don't know what I did to disable it in Windows - how do you enable multi
    core support in XP? Can you even turn it on and off?

    Asus M2a-vm board, AMD Phenom 9500 quad core, XP64.

    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Zootal

    DP Guest

    Note: My advice below was for Vista 64-bit. It may be the same for XP X64,
    but I'm not sure. I do have X64 loaded on my computer for dual booting, but
    by the time I rebooted, checked it and then returned to Vista, you might
    have already found out if I'm correct. (I would have to return to Vista to
    use Windows Mail to access this NG, in case you were wondering.)

    DP, Dec 16, 2007
  5. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    It's disable - can't change it.

    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  6. Zootal

    Theo Guest

    You need to contact the manufacturer/vendor of the
    motherboard you're having a problem with. You probably have
    a BIOS problem and you're not going to find the cure for it
    here.

    Theo, Dec 16, 2007
  7. Trick to solve the mail and NG problems:

    In Windows Mail - select Tools, Accounts, Export. Highlight the NG or email
    address you want to export and save it off to a file you'll be able to find
    from the other OS.

    In Outlook Express, in Windows XP, open OE, select Tools, Accounts, Import,
    and point to where you saved the export from above.

    that's all there is to it. It won't save your messages or your newsgroup
    selections, but it will save your login information (for secure newsgroups)
    and you'll be able to easily re-select the NGs you want to see and download
    the messages for that NG.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 16, 2007
  8. check with Asus. Chances are there's an updated driver or BIOS you need.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 16, 2007
  9. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    It worked 3 days ago. Today it doesn't. And if I boot to XP32 bit, it shows
    2 cores like it always has. 3 days ago, XP64 showed 4 cores. Today it
    doesn't. That makes me think it's a Windows problem.

    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  10. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    Correction: If I boot to XP32, which I have installed on a different
    partition, it shows all *four* cores in task manager. 3 days ago, XP64
    showed 4 cores in task manager. Today, it shows one core and tells me multi
    core functionality is disabled. Guys, this is a Windows problem, not a
    hardware problem.

    Before I zap Windows and reinstall from scratch (never mind that I did that
    just a week ago), does anyone have any idea how Windows can enable/disable
    multi core functionality?

    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  11. Zootal

    Stefan Pendl Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:11:50 -0800, "Zootal"
    <> wrote:

    >Correction: If I boot to XP32, which I have installed on a different
    >partition, it shows all *four* cores in task manager. 3 days ago, XP64
    >showed 4 cores in task manager. Today, it shows one core and tells me multi
    >core functionality is disabled. Guys, this is a Windows problem, not a
    >hardware problem.
    >
    >Before I zap Windows and reinstall from scratch (never mind that I did that
    >just a week ago), does anyone have any idea how Windows can enable/disable
    >multi core functionality?

    Open device manager, select the item shown under computer and update
    the driver.

    ---
    Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl, Dec 16, 2007
  12. Zootal

    Theo Guest

    Ensure you have the latest BIOS from Asus and the latest
    driver for Phenom from AMD.

    Theo, Dec 16, 2007
  13. It may be functioning fine but reporting incorrectly.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 16, 2007
  14. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    > Open device manager, select the item shown under computer and update
    > the driver.
    >
    > ---
    > Stefan Pendl

    Right about now I'm sitting back, shaking my head, and going wtf wtf wtf???

    The device under computer is "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC". I did what
    you said, and selected Update Driver. Reboot. Now I see 4 cores in task
    manager. Why? What happened, and why does this fix it?
    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  15. If I remember correctly, the driver you updated is the hal.dll (hal =
    "hardware abstraction layer). In other words, your computers personality.
    There are a number of articles on the net relating to "ACPI Multiprocessor
    x64-based PC" and XP Pro x64. Google on "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC"
    and you will see that there are a number of issues and you may find yours.
    If you see the problem again your computer may need a hotfix and one or more
    such hotfixes are discussed in the articles.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 16, 2007
  16. Zootal

    DP Guest

    Though I doubt I'll ever do what you suggest (since I spend about 95% of my
    time in Vista), a couple of questions:

    1) Will this allow me to send messages to the newsgroup while booted into XP
    and using OE?

    2) When I use OE, won't this wind up downloading my email messages (email,
    not NG posts) and saving them in OE? Since that removes the messages from
    the server, that means I can't get them when I'm back in Vista/WindowsMail.

    DP, Dec 17, 2007
  17. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    OE has a setting for each mail account, "leave messages on server". I
    frequently read email on my laptop, but don't want the messages deleted, so
    I have it set this way. When I get home, I can then dowload all of the
    messages on to my main workstation.

    Zootal, Dec 17, 2007
  18. 1.) Yes.
    2.) You can set any account where you don't want to suck off the messages to
    "leave a copy on the server". Or simply don't add that account to OE.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007