    from the site and get all kinds of errors, and that they have fallen way
    behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users. Is it too risky
    to invest now or should I wait six months for the dust to settle?

    f-stop, Dec 27, 2004

  2. f-stop

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "f-stop"

    >I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software

    I've been using C1 SE since April and I think it's the best RAW conversion
    software available. But there are a couple of bugs in the latest release for
    Windows and they seem slow about fixing them.

    >have heard that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking
    >to sell off the Capture One division to another software company.

    Haven't heard this ... I'd think they would keep it since it dovetails with
    their software development for the medium format digital backs, which is
    apparently their bread and butter product. Is there a good web source for this
    rumor?

    >I noticed that the Phase One website is in a state of disarray and that
    >you cannot download sometimes from the site and get all kinds of errors

    Website seems OK right now ... I haven't downloaded from it since version 3.5.2
    a couple months ago but typically the downloads are long so it takes a while.
    Probably a lot of people downloading the 3.6 Mac version these days so maybe
    the servers are overloaded?

    > ... and that they have fallen way
    >behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users.

    Looks like the Windows 3.6 release is several months behind the Mac version and
    they keep slipping the promised date (supposed to be mid-Dec and I just checked
    and it's slipped to mid January now). I think the big stink about this slip is
    that Canon 20D users aren't currently supported and a lot of people are steamed
    about that. You can follow the links at the official support site "forum" to
    see what people are saying ... many are not happy about the delay, but I didn't
    see any questions about selling the division.

    >Is it too risky to invest now or should I wait six months for the
    >dust to settle?

    Dunno ... get the download and try it out ... if you *really* like it go ahead
    and buy it but if you're worried about future support then maybe wait and see
    how it shakes out. They are definitely not as stable as, say, Adobe.

    The Pro version is around $500 but the LE version is only $99 ... is there a
    reason you *really* need the Pro features? At one time the high end cameras
    were not supported in LE, which is why I have SE (my 1Ds and 1D Mark II were
    not supported with LE), but they've dropped the SE version and now support the
    Canon pro models with LE. I think the main advantages of Pro are tethered
    support, support for the medium format backs, and the ability to generate
    custom profiles ... if you don't need these then it's easier to justify risking
    $99 than $500 so maybe go with the LE version? You can always upgrade later.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 27, 2004

  3. f-stop

    C Wright Guest

    On 12/27/04 8:20 AM, in article , "f-stop"
    <> wrote:

    > I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software, but have heard
    > that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking to sell off the
    > Capture One division to another software company. I noticed that the Phase
    > One website is in a state of disarray and that you cannot download sometimes
    > from the site and get all kinds of errors, and that they have fallen way
    > behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users. Is it too risky
    > to invest now or should I wait six months for the dust to settle?

    I would be interested in the source or your rumor. It probably does not
    mean much but I sent them a pre-sales question about three weeks ago and
    received no reply. Often answers to technical questions are slow in coming
    but most vendors answer pre-sales questions pretty fast.
    Also, their new 3.6 version (which is available for the Mac) has a known bug
    in the display of Tiffs. When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
    in Capture One as all black images. This is certainly not major in that you
    are not going to work on the tiff in Capture One anyway but it is
    interesting that they would release the new version knowing that the bug was
    there!
    Chuck

    C Wright, Dec 27, 2004
  4. f-stop

    Roberto T Guest

    The fact that Phase One has not responded to your pre-sales question in over
    three weeks nor have they responded to my requests for refund policy for
    undelivered products would seem to indicate a company that is in very poor
    health. I have requested that my credit card company withhold payment until
    this mess can be rectified. Their web links were all advertising Capture
    One for the 20D until you download the program and find out that is for Mac
    only not for Windows yet until sometime in 2005. The generally busy
    Rawworkflow support site run by their U.S. affiliate has been stone dead for
    the past week, since they blew the third announced release date of the 3.6
    Windows version. I guess most people just got discouraged and gave up and
    bailed out and are looking for alternative products like Bibble or
    BreezeBrowser, whose support boards are bristling with activity from former
    Capture One folks getting onboard. Phase One and Capture One have become so
    fixated on not providing any short term remedies because "they do not fit
    our business model" that they have not only alientated many of their users,
    but are now choking on their own vomit in what appears to be the beginning
    death-throes of a once respected product. I hope that they manage to revive
    themselves but I fear that if things contine as they have been for the past
    six or nine months, either someone else will take over Capture One or it
    will end up being very expensive abandonware.

    "C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
    > On 12/27/04 8:20 AM, in article ,

    "f-stop"

    Roberto T, Dec 28, 2004
  5. f-stop

    Roberto T Guest

    >> the rawworkflow board is up and running now Bobby- check it out

    Not to imply when I said stone cold dead that it was not running--- just
    that the activity levels have plummetted and not much going on. I dont
    attribute this to the holiday season, since other support boards for
    competing products are very busy. I contribute this to the fact that they
    already missed three announced release dates and that folks with the Canon
    20D just gave up and went elsewhere. The busiest thread in the last month
    was not one devoted to technical jargon, but only to the disappointment of
    the masses at the sloppy handling of the 20D situation by Phase One.

    Roberto T, Dec 28, 2004
  6. f-stop

    Guest

    In message <BDF5A0CC.123DE%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
    C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
    >in Capture One as all black images.

    Really black (all zeros), or 12-bit linear or 8-bit-gamma-corrected data
    16-bit files?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 28, 2004
  7. f-stop

    C Wright Guest

    On 12/28/04 3:31 PM, in article ,
    "" <> wrote:

    > In message <BDF5A0CC.123DE%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
    > C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >
    >> When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
    >> in Capture One as all black images.

    > Really black (all zeros), or 12-bit linear or 8-bit-gamma-corrected data
    > 16-bit files?

    I am not saying that the tiffs are not normal tiffs, just that Capture One,
    version 3.6 for the Mac, displays them as all black thumbnails. If the
    tiffs created by C1 are opened in another program they are perfectly normal.
    It is just that the C1 program itself can not display them. If you read the
    C1 forums on their web site you will see the subject discussed.

    C Wright, Dec 29, 2004
  8. f-stop

    Henri P. Guest

    A spate on adamant denials starting on Thursday Dec 30 only served to fuel
    speculation that Capture One may be on the auction block.

    Henri P., Jan 3, 2005