Phantom Norton

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave Hardenbrook, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. Merry Day After Christmas!

    Here is the situation I have: The system is a Dell Dimension with
    Windows XP Home SP2. AOL 9.0 is used for Internet access, and AOL
    Security Center was installed. (Windows Security Center diabled.) More
    recently, Norton's Internet Security 2006 was installed *ON TOP* of the
    AOL Security. (My client was laboring under the fallacy that if *one*
    suite of Internet security was good, *two* must be even better!)
    Predictably, the system slowed to a crawl, and now my client has asked
    for Norton to be removed.

    I downloaded Norton Removal Tool from Symantec's web page and ran it.
    But though the program appears to be removed, AOL Security still insists
    that Norton is installed, and will not activate its own Anti-Virus or
    Firewall. I then suggested that I uninstall AOL Security as well, and
    use AVG Free for anti-virus, Spybot for spyware, and Windows Firewall.
    My client agreed, and I uninstalled AOL Security, reactivated Windows
    Security Center, and installed AVG. But Windows Security Center *also*
    says Norton is still there and AVG will not activate.

    I then went into RegEdit and manually attempted to delete all residual
    keys making reference to Symantec or Norton. This resulted in a trashed
    registry. (Thank the gods for Last Known Good!!!)

    So what do I need to do to exorcise this "phantom" of Norton Security
    that Windows is still seeing, so that I can safely install an alternate
    Anti-Virus/Firewall suite?

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Dec 26, 2006

  2. I'd re-install Norton, then uninstall it using the add/remove programs
    app in Control panel.

    FWIW, the Norton "Removal tool" really isn't a substitute for "proper"
    uninstallation....more of a "if the regular uninstall doesn't do it,
    then try this" thing.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Dec 26, 2006