    idea what it is. Tried to set the clock to an opportunistic time and sat
    here and watched but in this instance, nothing happened. Does this look
    familiar to anyone?
    Gary, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Gary

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Gary
    <> wrote:

    > Using XP Pro. No programs scheduled in the task manager. Every 7 days at
    > around 1 am something is generating an odd number of empty folders in
    > c:\windows\system32, such as "JY6HVY4L.LK79" Always random names, always
    > a dot in the sequence. Have run checks for bots and viruses but it all
    > looks clean. Certainly something is runing at this time, but have no
    > idea what it is. Tried to set the clock to an opportunistic time and sat
    > here and watched but in this instance, nothing happened. Does this look
    > familiar to anyone?

    Maybe a maintenance routine?
    Some routines keep either progress files (bookmarking location in
    process), redundant backup files (for files that are being edited
    during the process), scratch files (for actions like optimizing, where
    files are written away from address to be sorted).
    I don't think it's significant that they show as folders now.
    Mitch, Oct 20, 2005