PGP: Effectiveness

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by The Astute Cat, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. I just got PGP v8.0.3 -- is it good for securing messages / digital
    signiatures or is it easily bypassed these days?

    The Astute Cat, Jan 12, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > I just got PGP v8.0.3 -- is it good for securing messages / digital
    > signiatures or is it easily bypassed these days?

    nothing about pgp is easily bypassed. you'll hear from both sides I
    would assume. if they're adamant about pgp being weak, make them prove
    it.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Jan 12, 2004

  3. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:03:46 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I just got PGP v8.0.3 -- is it good for securing messages / digital
    >> signiatures or is it easily bypassed these days?
    >>

    >nothing about pgp is easily bypassed. you'll hear from both sides I
    >would assume. if they're adamant about pgp being weak, make them prove
    >it.

    fair comment to make, thanks :)

    I guess if I REALLY didn't want anyone to see stuff, I shouldn't send
    it via the net at all :)
    t/a/c

    The Astute Cat, Jan 12, 2004
  4. The Astute Cat

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:20:48 +0000, The Astute Cat
    <> wrote:

    >I just got PGP v8.0.3 -- is it good for securing messages / digital
    >signiatures or is it easily bypassed these days?

    Until there is evidence someone has broken it, I believe its
    offers what - it says, pretty good privacy.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 12, 2004
  5. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:53:44 +0100, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:20:48 +0000, The Astute Cat
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just got PGP v8.0.3 -- is it good for securing messages / digital
    >>signiatures or is it easily bypassed these days?

    >Until there is evidence someone has broken it, I believe its
    >offers what - it says, pretty good privacy.

    cool :) ...... now just to find others who either have it or are
    willing to get it, lol.
    t/a/c

    The Astute Cat, Jan 12, 2004
  6. The Astute Cat

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Jan 13, 2004
  7. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Steve wrote:

    >The Astute Cat wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:53:44 +0100, Jim Watt <_way>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Until there is evidence someone has broken it, I believe its offers
    >>> what - it says, pretty good privacy.

    >> cool :) ...... now just to find others who either have it or are
    >> willing to get it, lol. t/a/c

    >they dont need the same program as you, just ask if they have a public key.

    no need compatable program

    here is public key can you use?

    -----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
    MFwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADSwAwSAJBAOPVBrMwSpYqshAhyoFhnl4RCyXYbH8S
    cfWCjGa719GvczA9lVRJgJwVSBKuOMiF4epHze5DwRaF3gcPmjBgFLMCAwEAAQ==
    -----END PUBLIC KEY-----

    or this public key can you use?

    ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
    AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAAAQQDRIvfxqSAu3DY/nVzg0S2J2zev5SseiGYulgbwx0
    FZr6OdeTXKUfKnwOxAMuksvFvoxOVj33ZsY6RA0xTcPOkJ
    ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

    or . . .

    -----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
    T4vNITuvTPH1xpuxDu93RymSU9MD19zZMGhO3T3e
    A0W4Vc5FiHD73cLbNtokmxuEEahrT8N0ZWJoNZcL
    uuvEbUW7g9cWyW1Dbwy9iTyC8AKvH9DTBoYoByUY
    gxSyzXpsJrX6IfXhONkzjbfZVSJeCi0fbYPTxPvB
    sUI0wOR7pY8bx5uBJ4HvFkXUj5xGiP8sDPyWcUdG
    690358924C02F776C95B27AB2033BC7A
    -----END PUBLIC KEY-----

    privacy.at Anonymous Remailer, Jan 13, 2004
  8. The Astute Cat

    Raw Sex Guest

    Raw Sex, Jan 15, 2004