    overlooking? Does anyone know where the dumps are or why I'm not seeing them?

    Thanks,
    -TC
    =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=, Jul 4, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=

    Jane C Guest

    Hi,

    The Memory dump should be in C:\Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291806

    Have you tested your RAM?
    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Jane,

    Thanks,
    Yes, the memory has passed all the checks I have thrown at it. I think I
    may have identified at least part of the problem. I recently have been told
    that dumps (or minidumps as the case may be) won't be generated unless a page
    file of at least 2M exists on the boot volume. I was unaware of this and I
    have always moved the page file to a volume other than the boot volume. I
    was under the impression that this would help performance. I'm hoping that
    by creating a page file on that volume that a dump will be produced and I
    will be able to examine the stack trace.

    -TC

    =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=, Jul 5, 2007
  4. yes, you must have a sufficient page file on the boot volume. When you move
    it off, it should actually warn you about this side effect. (And yes, there
    can be viable performance reasons to move your page file. Though I honestly
    don't think the performance improvement is sufficient to be appreciable, and
    not enough to make it worth the other problems.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Thanks Charlie,
    I'm incredulous. After creating the page file on the boot volume the system
    has again crashed with the same error. This time the BSOD looked different.
    It actually stated at the bottom that a dump had been prepared and created.
    Still I cannot find any newly created .DMP file. I can't find any .DMP
    files on the C: drive. I guess I have forgotten what %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
    means. There is no such file in that location. I have changed the system to
    produce a minidump in hopes that I will be able to find this file.

    -TC

    =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=, Jul 5, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=

    Jane C Guest

    Hi TC,

    Have you got 'show hidden files and folders' checked? IIRC, the dump file
    is normally hidden. It should be in C:\Windows

    Jane C, Jul 5, 2007
  7. Yes,

    Hidden files are set to show.
    I found a message in the log that stating that the the dump file could not
    be configured. I'm thinking that the page file was not large enough to dump
    the entire 4Gb of memory as it was only 2Gb. I have increased the file and
    changed the system settings to produce a minidump.

    I subsequently have turned Verifier back on and, finally, it produced a
    minidump, 2 actually, that pointed to bc_ngn.sys as the offending driver.
    This is part of the Jetico Personal Firewall. I have un-installed that
    software and all of it's drivers. While I'm pretty convinced that this will
    solve the problem, I will wait a while before I think the problem is over.
    I'm also aware that this PFN list error can also be caused by bad memory, but
    I'm hoping the fact that both of the Verifier dumps indicated the same driver
    increases the reliability of that information.

    I have learned a lot about dumps and winDBG that have been valuable lessons.

    Thanks to you and Charlie for all of your help.

    -TC

    =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?=, Jul 6, 2007