Petition for new firmware for KM 5d/7d

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kcirtap, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. Kcirtap

    Kcirtap Guest

    Kcirtap, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Kcirtap

    J. Clarke Guest

    Kcirtap wrote:

    > The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
    > ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
    >
    > The petition can be signed here:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
    >
    > 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
    > Let's hope we'll achieve something here.

    They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
    NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
    has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
    wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Kcirtap

    Kcirtap Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Kcirtap wrote:
    >
    >> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
    >> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
    >>
    >> The petition can be signed here:
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
    >>
    >> 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
    >> Let's hope we'll achieve something here.

    > They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
    > NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
    > has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
    > wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

    I'm aware of that, but I hope they'll realize that they need to keep the
    existing KM users (high-potential future customers) happy. Camera business
    is just not the same as electronics (at least DSLR's aren't). Photographers
    are very brand-bonded and will not change easily. Basically, everyone owning
    KM glass is a potential customer. Of course they'll rather sell to
    newcomers, but we'll have to see how Sony (Minolta) does in the race between
    several long-standing well-known brands.
    Patrick

    Kcirtap, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Kcirtap

    Pete D Guest

    What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

    Pete D, Jul 2, 2006
  5. Kcirtap

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Kcirtap wrote:
    > The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to ask
    > Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
    >
    > The petition can be signed here:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
    >
    > 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
    > Let's hope we'll achieve something here.
    >
    > Patrick

    "expect from Sony to offer support??"

    You know, you would think that people writing a petition to a
    multinational corporation would, at the very least, get the grammatical
    syntax correctly if they expect to have any credibility whatsoever!
    While I'd like to see the items being petitioned for, I wouldn't sign that.

    And they may have gotten 1900 responses but I doubt that many of the
    entries their are going to mean a thing to Sony. I'm sure that are
    probably not going to really care what Junior, trade, charles, Milan66,
    0577bird, et al think.

    KMA

    Kevin Agard, Jul 2, 2006
  6. In article <j%Ipg.4853$fv3.3743@trnddc02>,
    Kevin Agard <> wrote:

    > Kcirtap wrote:
    > > The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to ask
    > > Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
    > >
    > > The petition can be signed here:
    > > http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
    > >
    > > 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
    > > Let's hope we'll achieve something here.
    > >
    > > Patrick
    > >

    > "expect from Sony to offer support??"
    >
    > You know, you would think that people writing a petition to a
    > multinational corporation would, at the very least, get the grammatical
    > syntax correctly if they expect to have any credibility whatsoever!
    > While I'd like to see the items being petitioned for, I wouldn't sign that.

    What???? you would not take a signed affidavit of first graders
    seriously-FOR Shame :^D

    > And they may have gotten 1900 responses but I doubt that many of the
    > entries their are going to mean a thing to Sony. I'm sure that are
    > probably not going to really care what Junior, trade, charles, Milan66,
    > 0577bird, et al think.
    >
    > KMA

    Chalk it up to alcoholism, or maybe bad genetics,!!!
    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Kcirtap

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:46:27 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

    >> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
    >> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.

    > They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
    > NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
    > has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
    > wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

    While it would be surprising if Sony were to upgrade the K/M's
    firmware, there's a big difference between supporting it and
    supporting the NX-70. The latter was a "Palm" style PDA, and Sony
    was rapidly abandoning that market at the time (seen any new Clies
    lately?), whereas nobody is foolish enough to think that Sony might
    soon decide to get out of its camera business.

    ASAAR, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Hi,

    > What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

    For me, two things :

    1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to FAT
    folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot of my
    XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure through
    the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : . This happened
    to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

    2 - software or hardware ? (or both) maybe twice in 2 years, in the middle
    of a shooting session, the camera went havoc when I pressed the shutter
    button : LCD black, lens iris semi-closed (left stuck at the shooting
    aperture), no control reaction. A power off/on cycle rebooted the machine
    fine. Battery far from empty, before you ask. And Sigma 28/70 2.8 (non DG
    non EX). But this lens has shot thousands of pictures both with my 600 si,
    9xi and now 7D without any problem.

    Maybe a third ? why not shake the sensor à la Sony Alpha 100 at power on
    and/or off, using the stabilizer's piezo motors, to clean dust ?

    Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with my 7D.

    Regards,
    --
    Stéphane Guillard

    Stéphane Guillard, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Hi,

    > 1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to
    > FAT folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot
    > of my XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure
    > through the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : .
    > This happened to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

    Oops, forgot to paste the URL : http://s.guillard.free.fr/d7d-fw-bug.jpg

    Regards,
    --
    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guillard, Jul 3, 2006
  10. "Stéphane Guillard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    >> What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

    > Maybe a third ? why not shake the sensor à la Sony Alpha 100 at power on
    > and/or off, using the stabilizer's piezo motors, to clean dust ?

    You can add that with firmware! Where will the dust go? In the Olympus
    E-300/500/330 there is a dust catcher. Where will the dust go, except back
    on the sensor in a different place.

    Darrell Larose, Jul 3, 2006
  11. Hi,

    > You can add that with firmware! Where will the dust go? In the Olympus
    > E-300/500/330 there is a dust catcher. Where will the dust go, except back
    > on the sensor in a different place.

    I read recently that all "recent" slr's have an adhesive area near the
    mirror, including film slr's... A sensor shake of course only makes sense
    under that condition.

    Regards,
    --
    Stéphane Guillard

    Stéphane Guillard, Jul 3, 2006
  12. Kcirtap

    Alan Brwone Guest

    Alan Brwone, Jul 3, 2006
  13. Kcirtap

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Stéphane Guillard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

    > For me, two things :
    >
    > 1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to FAT
    > folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot of my
    > XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure through
    > the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : . This happened
    > to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

    What version of the firmware do you have now? I've been using my 7D for
    a year and a half now and have never seen anything like that.

    > 2 - software or hardware ? (or both) maybe twice in 2 years, in the middle
    > of a shooting session, the camera went havoc when I pressed the shutter
    > button : LCD black, lens iris semi-closed (left stuck at the shooting
    > aperture), no control reaction. A power off/on cycle rebooted the machine
    > fine. Battery far from empty, before you ask. And Sigma 28/70 2.8 (non DG
    > non EX). But this lens has shot thousands of pictures both with my 600 si,
    > 9xi and now 7D without any problem.

    This sounds more like a buggy camera than buggy firmware.

    Kevin Agard, Jul 4, 2006
  14. Hi,

    >> 1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to
    >> FAT folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot
    >> of my XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure
    >> through the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : .
    >> This happened to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

    > What version of the firmware do you have now? I've been using my 7D for a
    > year and a half now and have never seen anything like that.

    The current one. But this happened only once.

    >> 2 - software or hardware ? (or both) maybe twice in 2 years, in the
    >> middle of a shooting session, the camera went havoc when I pressed the
    >> shutter button : LCD black, lens iris semi-closed (left stuck at the
    >> shooting aperture), no control reaction. A power off/on cycle rebooted
    >> the machine fine. Battery far from empty, before you ask. And Sigma 28/70
    >> 2.8 (non DG non EX). But this lens has shot thousands of pictures both
    >> with my 600 si, 9xi and now 7D without any problem.

    > This sounds more like a buggy camera than buggy firmware.

    Except if you have more hints, this sounds like nothing diagnosable /a
    priori/ ...

    Regards,
    --
    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guillard, Jul 4, 2006
  15. Kcirtap

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Stéphane Guillard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >>> 1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to
    >>> FAT folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot
    >>> of my XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure
    >>> through the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : .
    >>> This happened to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

    >> What version of the firmware do you have now? I've been using my 7D for a
    >> year and a half now and have never seen anything like that.

    > The current one. But this happened only once.
    >
    >>> 2 - software or hardware ? (or both) maybe twice in 2 years, in the
    >>> middle of a shooting session, the camera went havoc when I pressed the
    >>> shutter button : LCD black, lens iris semi-closed (left stuck at the
    >>> shooting aperture), no control reaction. A power off/on cycle rebooted
    >>> the machine fine. Battery far from empty, before you ask. And Sigma 28/70
    >>> 2.8 (non DG non EX). But this lens has shot thousands of pictures both
    >>> with my 600 si, 9xi and now 7D without any problem.

    >> This sounds more like a buggy camera than buggy firmware.

    > Except if you have more hints, this sounds like nothing diagnosable /a
    > priori/ ...
    >
    > Regards,

    Hints? No, I'm afraid not. My point was that I have never seen either of
    these issues mentioned before. While the first could be either, the
    second sound like more of a hardware issue than a software issue. If it
    were an issue with the v1.10 firmware, one would expect to be seeing
    such occurrences in all the 7Ds using that firmware and such does not
    appear to be the case.

    KMA

    Kevin Agard, Jul 7, 2006