Petition for Better Broadband in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by mdew, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. mdew

    mdew Guest

    mdew, Sep 2, 2003

  2. mdew

    Stewart Gray Guest

    Ive signed the petition but you wonder how much telecom would care seeing
    this, im pretty sure Telecom are already well aware of what we all think of
    their pricing.

    Stewart Gray, Sep 2, 2003

  3. mdew

    tim Guest

    Take it to the streets...
    Get it on the media spotlight.
    Then Telecom might care ;)

    tim, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Angus McScotch, Sep 2, 2003
  5. mdew

    steve Guest

    tim allegedly said:

    > Take it to the streets...
    > Get it on the media spotlight.
    > Then Telecom might care ;)

    .....though there are about 10,427 more important issues than this one......

    steve, Sep 2, 2003
  6. mdew

    tim Guest

    yeah we will have to take some others to the street too...

    :)

    tim, Sep 2, 2003
  7. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  8. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  9. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "tim" wrote
    > u could try and get it slashdotted eh

    thats always fun...

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  10. On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:02:00 +1200, "Stewart Gray"
    <> wrote:

    >Ive signed the petition but you wonder how much telecom would care seeing
    >this, im pretty sure Telecom are already well aware of what we all think of
    >their pricing.

    The only problem with petitions is that they are a double-edged sword.

    I always warn people (when I can) that before they launch a petition,
    they ought to be pretty damned sure that they're going to get huge
    numbers signing up.

    The problem is that if only a few tens (or less than a couple of
    hundred) people sign up to such a petition, then it effectively says
    that the other 80,000+ DSL users are quite happy with the status quo
    -- and that's something that Telecom can use to strengthen *their*
    argument that the prices are okay.

    Given that 99% of all NZers are just too lazy to speak out about
    things they don't like, petitions are a very risky business.

    Bruce Simpson, Sep 2, 2003
  11. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "PC" wrote

    6
    > months, whatcha reckon?

    Doubt it!

    maybe 512k with 20GB cap.(nice speed, realistic cap)

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  12. mdew

    SNOman Guest

    "mdew" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nzadsl/petition.html
    >

    > --
    > "Prayer has no place in Public School, just like facts have no place in
    > organized religion." --The Simpsons

    You should forget about this and jump on the Local Loop bandwagon. You'll
    get nowhere with this will Telescum has a monopoly. As soon as the local
    loop is unbundled you'll see big price/performance changes as rival
    companies will be able to offer subscribers a better deal and Telescum will
    quickly change to match what others will be able to offer.

    SNOman, Sep 3, 2003
  13. mdew

    SNOman Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "SNOman" wrote
    > > You should forget about this and jump on the Local Loop bandwagon.

    You'll
    > > get nowhere with this will Telescum has a monopoly. As soon as the local
    > > loop is unbundled you'll see big price/performance changes as rival
    > > companies will be able to offer subscribers a better deal and Telescum

    > will
    > > quickly change to match what others will be able to offer.

    > Ironically, Telecom may be in a better position to offer services if the
    > unbundling is done, as they will have more data on how it is run most
    > efficiently.

    Good point, but unbundling WILL result in lower prices, or if you like more
    performance for the current costs.

    SNOman, Sep 3, 2003
  14. Angus McScotch, Sep 3, 2003
  15. mdew

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    I hate to be a cynic, but, I can't see a petition making any
    difference to broadband pricing in New Zealand. The Telecommunications
    Commissioner has not made a difference, TelstraClear lobbying has not
    made a difference and Telecom are clearly unconcerned about public
    opinion.

    The only time Telecom has ever flexed on pricing is when it has had
    competition. Look at phone rental prices in Wellington and
    Christchurch TelstraClear areas. $45.00 (approx) a month in
    non-TelstraClear areas and $30.00 in areas serviced by TelstraClear.
    Through this obvious example Telecom are saying they will only drop
    prices if forced. A petition will not force Telecom to do anything.

    Bring on the competition, alas, I cannot not see where it is going to
    come from. Wireless VOIP/internet solutions still seems to fragile to
    be a viable alternative. The only way we are going to get competiton
    is if Telecom's competitors are given access to the local loop at a
    reasonable price. Why is Broadband cheaper is Australia when Telstra
    had a monopoly? Why can cable customer is CHCH and WGTN get 256k
    connections with a 10gb cap?

    Roger Ramjet, Sep 3, 2003
  16. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Angus McScotch" wrote
    > > and will the new one be presented to them(telecom)?

    > My guess would be no.

    The latest one already has three times the number of votes as the last one,
    any idea on the date of the first one?

    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  17. In article <bj3kvg$f1i4q$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Angus McScotch" wrote
    > > > and will the new one be presented to them(telecom)?

    > > My guess would be no.

    > The latest one already has three times the number of votes as the last one,
    > any idea on the date of the first one?

    March '03

    I don't know at what point (number of signees?) the instigator of this
    latest petition thinks he's going to submit it to telecom, or indeed if
    he has any idea whatsoever of the due process involved in such a
    submission - I just can't help but imagine that he's planning on
    emailing it to or somesuch.

    Angus McScotch, Sep 3, 2003
  18. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Angus McScotch" wrote
    > > The latest one already has three times the number of votes as the last

    one,
    > > any idea on the date of the first one?

    > March '03
    >
    > I don't know at what point (number of signees?) the instigator of this
    > latest petition thinks he's going to submit it to telecom, or indeed if
    > he has any idea whatsoever of the due process involved in such a
    > submission - I just can't help but imagine that he's planning on
    > emailing it to or somesuch.

    that what I thought... but a three-fold increase in the number of
    "partitionees" is still pretty impressive for only 6 months difference in
    time.

    I'd love to see govt do that with elections... hah.

    You could print it out I guess, and post it via registered mail to her,
    maybe courier it, and return receipt it(surely this can be done with real
    mail?)

    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  19. mdew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T.N.O." wrote
    > that what I thought... but a three-fold increase in the number of
    > "partitionees"

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    heh, petitionees!... not partitionees... format, reinstall...

    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  20. In article <bj3s90$f0con$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    > that what I thought... but a three-fold increase in the number of
    > "partitionees" is still pretty impressive for only 6 months difference in
    > time.

    Possibly.. but with the nature of these things it could simply be a
    result of wider distribution. Of course, the petitionees are likely to
    be a bit more desperate (not to mention pissed off) this time around, in
    the wake of telecom's latest broadband offerings.

    Angus McScotch, Sep 3, 2003