    the "PlayStation" brand.

    And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole for
    Microsoft.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    news:effqp6$32b$...
    >I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    > between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    > sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    > struggle.
    >
    > XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    > really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    > Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    > the "PlayStation" brand.
    >
    > And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole
    > for
    > Microsoft.

    LMAO

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:37 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    {snip} about um....

    > And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole for
    > Microsoft.

    As was the OS until 1896, or there abouts.

    Now they have $$ to sink where wever they please as they have so much ...

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2006
  4. T'was the Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:37 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    >between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    >sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    >struggle.
    >
    >XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    >really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    >Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    >the "PlayStation" brand.
    >
    >And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole for
    >Microsoft.

    Man I really do grow tired of the shit you spout. Literally, it's the
    same fuckin' thing time after time.

    Cause Mayor Prendergast is an expert when it comes to video games of
    course.

    Seriously, let's take next generation consoles. PS3, I shudder to
    think of the costs, at least the Xbox 360 is A) Not as expensive as
    the PS3 and B) is released. Now. you can buy it. Now. Having said
    this, I applaude the Xbox Live strategy, not so keen on the trend
    towards HD gaming, I think Nintendo really have gotten the idea with
    more interactive gaming.

    I mean really Lawrence, is all you do these days spread your own
    special brand of FUD? You're upset that they're spending money trying
    out new markets? I'm suprised you haven't mentioned Zune, which is
    behind the iPod. Or Live Search vs. Google (Google still wins here).
    Or Live Spaces vs. Live Journal. Or MSN Messenger vs Gtalk (MSN
    Messenger wins hands down here). Or all the other places that
    Microsoft competes with other companies against.

    So they spend some money and some things work, and some things fail.
    While profit drives business, arguably they're making the world a more
    positive than negative place, if only through competition having to
    start innovating to compete. I mean, who was going to challenge Sony
    with the PS2? Sega? Nintendo? Where's your Dreamcasts and Gamecubes?
    And now look, Sony's been caught with their hands down their pants
    doing much the same as the PS2 but with better graphics.

    I have both a PS2 and an Xbox. They're both pretty good. I'll probably
    get an Xbox 360 and a Wii.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 28, 2006
  5. In message <>, Waylon Kenning
    wrote:

    > [incoherent rant omitted]

    Look, you killfile me, I killfile you, and we never have to read each
    other's postings again. Agreed?

    Goodbye.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jennings Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:00:06 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:37 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    > D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    > this:
    >

    >>And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole for
    >>Microsoft.

    > Man I really do grow tired of the shit you spout. Literally, it's the
    > same fuckin' thing time after time.

    Waylon, ignore the wanker from COLA ....

    Shame this NG isnt more like the Australian comp group, i guess the
    aussies have more integrity / class .

    Jennings...

    Jennings, Sep 29, 2006
  7. On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:37 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    >between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    >sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    >struggle.
    >
    >XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    >really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    >Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    >the "PlayStation" brand.
    >
    >And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole for
    >Microsoft.

    I had to smile when the mayor mentioned Playstation.

    However at this point in time, only the Xbox 360 (and a modern PC with
    an expensive graphics card) has the power for the sort of games that I
    imagine Peter Jackson is envisaging.

    The ageing PS2 has market dominance but its really showing its age
    compared to the lastest XB360 and PC titles.

    Just because Sony won the last war doesn't mean they will win the next
    war (XB360 vs PS3). There are some big differences and the roles are
    almost reversed in this case - MS has its console out first and its
    cheaper. The fact that the PS3 may (and I stress may) be superior
    doesn't mean that much (both the Xbox and Gamecube are more powerful
    than the PS2).

    I'm not a MS or Sony fanboy and probably won't own either console for
    a good few years but I think MS has a good chance of taking a bigger
    chunk of the market this time round.

    Aside from market share, the Nintendo Gamecube which has similar
    market share to the Xbox, has a number of unique and innovative games.
    It doesn't make those developers failures.

    Jason Clinton, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    Jennings wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:00:06 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> T'was the Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:37 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >> D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >> this:
    >>

    >>>And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole
    >>>for Microsoft.

    >> Man I really do grow tired of the shit you spout. Literally, it's the
    >> same fuckin' thing time after time.
    >>

    > Waylon, ignore the wanker from COLA ....
    >

    > Shame this NG isnt more like the Australian comp group, i guess the
    > aussies have more integrity / class .
    >

    > Jennings...

    Do they rail on about a single ubuntu patch then go silent when asked about
    a vendor struggling to patch a vulnerability in one go (and not create MORE
    vulns)
    Or do they just go silent when asked about the same vendors browser being
    actively exploited (again)
    That sounds like *real* integrity

    --
    Bender: So can I keep the money?
    Art Garfunkel's Descendant: Over my cold, dead career.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Sep 29, 2006
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    > between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    > sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    > struggle.
    >
    > XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    > really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    > Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    > the "PlayStation" brand.
    >
    > And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole
    > for Microsoft.

    The description they gave, mixing movies with gaming, made me think of games
    like "Outcast" from about 10 years ago......

    As for Xbox / PSn, I don't buy these devices as they are closed platforms
    captured 100% by the vedors who sell them.

    I play games on the PC....which is more powerful and more capable for gaming
    than the cut-down consoles that sell for a fraction of the price and have a
    fraction of the power.

    steve, Sep 30, 2006
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mike Dee Guest

    Jennings <> wrote in

    > Shame this NG isnt more like the Australian comp group, i guess the
    > aussies have more integrity / class .

    Drop in to AC, ask Rod Speed for his opinion of kiwi's...

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Oct 2, 2006
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    El Penguino Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:36:18 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    >> between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    >> sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    >> struggle.
    >>
    >> XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    >> really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    >> Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    >> the "PlayStation" brand.
    >>
    >> And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole
    >> for Microsoft.

    >The description they gave, mixing movies with gaming, made me think of games
    >like "Outcast" from about 10 years ago......
    >
    >As for Xbox / PSn, I don't buy these devices as they are closed platforms
    >captured 100% by the vedors who sell them.

    With a mod chip, a xbox is far from a closed platform. Just imagine
    the SW for it and it's out there. Emulators, multi media client etc
    etc. You can play games on it too.

    El Penguino, Oct 2, 2006
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, elpenguino@ice-
    bergz-r-us.com says...
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:36:18 +1200, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    > >> I suppose everyone's seen the news items today about the announced tie-in
    > >> between Peter Jackson's Wingnut company and Microsoft's XBox division. Not
    > >> sure what they're going to produce, but I think they've got an uphill
    > >> struggle.
    > >>
    > >> XBox is a distant number 2 in the game console market. The HALO series is
    > >> really the only set of hits it's had. Even Wellington mayor Kerry
    > >> Prendergast, when asked about video games, could name only
    > >> the "PlayStation" brand.
    > >>
    > >> And of course the whole exercise has been a gigantic financial sinkhole
    > >> for Microsoft.

    > >The description they gave, mixing movies with gaming, made me think of games
    > >like "Outcast" from about 10 years ago......
    > >
    > >As for Xbox / PSn, I don't buy these devices as they are closed platforms
    > >captured 100% by the vedors who sell them.

    > With a mod chip, a xbox is far from a closed platform. Just imagine
    > the SW for it and it's out there. Emulators, multi media client etc
    > etc. You can play games on it too.

    Hell yeah. Currently in our house 3x modded boxes and they all together
    cost less than one PC that would run the same games. One is now hardly
    even used for games as it is a $300 multimedia lounge box that does
    everything my PC does. Tried to play latest lego starwars on pc. Ha.
    Upgrade geforce 3ti to do so. No thanks. Play on xbox fine and it cost
    little more than video card pc needs to play game.Currently playing
    Godfather, black , Toca3, Forza2 etc on it. This pc won't so will stick
    with them awhile yet.
    Network gaming works so much cheaper than 3 PCs would too.
    I watch news /weather etc on it from comfort sofa every morning and
    check email torrents etc.
    Far from closed.
    --

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.

    bAZZ, Oct 13, 2006
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    juicyjuice Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > elpenguino@ice- bergz-r-us.com says...
    >> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:36:18 +1200, steve <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> The description they gave, mixing movies with gaming, made me think
    >>> of games like "Outcast" from about 10 years ago......
    >>>
    >>> As for Xbox / PSn, I don't buy these devices as they are closed
    >>> platforms captured 100% by the vedors who sell them.

    >> With a mod chip, a xbox is far from a closed platform. Just imagine
    >> the SW for it and it's out there. Emulators, multi media client etc
    >> etc. You can play games on it too.
    >>

    > Hell yeah. Currently in our house 3x modded boxes and they all
    > together cost less than one PC that would run the same games. One is
    > now hardly even used for games as it is a $300 multimedia lounge box
    > that does everything my PC does. Tried to play latest lego starwars
    > on pc. Ha. Upgrade geforce 3ti to do so. No thanks. Play on xbox fine
    > and it cost little more than video card pc needs to play
    > game.Currently playing Godfather, black , Toca3, Forza2 etc on it.
    > This pc won't so will stick with them awhile yet.
    > Network gaming works so much cheaper than 3 PCs would too.
    > I watch news /weather etc on it from comfort sofa every morning and
    > check email torrents etc.
    > Far from closed.
    > --
    >
    > See Ya