Pesky Desktop Icons keep moving

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by ipart dan, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. ipart dan

    ipart dan

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Iowa
    OK....... I have researched this till I am blue in the face and have read many threads on this.

    What is happening is this:

    Have a IBM Thinkpad T42 running XP Pro SP3 1gig mem, with issues

    Also have a home network with 5 computer with one of them as a FTP server.

    The T42 for some reason when I open a folder full screen or even almost full screen ... when I close the folder all the desktop icons have arranged themselves to the left side off the screen. It happens 100% of the time when I open a graphics program and 75% of the time when anything else is opened. This Laptop has done this ever since I have had it. So I don't think it is a rouge network issue.

    I installed a small TSR program to save the layout and it works. But I need to restore the layout all the time and it getting to be a pain the the rear....

    Yes, I have checked and tweaked the Registry, checked the desktop layout settings, and everything else I have seen to do on the web.

    My wife thought she saw a patch for this problem on the Microsoft website but can't really remember for sure. I have been searching for a long time for a fix for this. Even my buddy that owns a Computer Medic Franchise has not run up against this one.

    About the only thing I have not researched is going to the IBM website to search there archives. Could be a issue just with Thinkpads?

    Anybody have any new ideas for me to try? Not counting replacing the HD and reinstalling evereything.
    ipart dan, Apr 6, 2009

  2. ipart dan

    aihockey44

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Im no computer expert... but maybe there could be a virus on your computer?... I have known viruses that scew around with (well just about everything) desktops. Try scanning your whole computer, and maybe you could find the problem.
    aihockey44, Apr 29, 2009

  3. ipart dan

    Beachguy

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    Florida's Space Coast
    First, did you remember how to change back the registry settings you changed?
    Second, arrange your icons - right click the screen - click on refresh.
    They should be set when you reboot....
    Beachguy, May 20, 2009
  4. ipart dan

    lifetweaker

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Messages:
    16
    Right click on your desktop -> go to arrange icons by, and make sure "align to grid" and "auto arrange" are unchecked.

    If not, uncheck them, and see if that fixes the problem.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    lifetweaker, May 20, 2009
  5. ipart dan

    torontolife

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Messages:
    32
    As lifetweaker says, 'auto arrange' is the problem. and yes, this is a feature, not a bug :)
    torontolife, Jun 4, 2009